User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh... I may be an idiot.

Well, I bought a 2020 F250 Tremor 7.3 Gas in November, to tow a boat.. then it ended up being a lemon and worked with Ford to get it repurchased. Between that time, I bought a 2021 337RLS and in all of my research I never came across anything that made me think I would have a problem towing it. The problem was, when I got my lemon repurchased a few weeks ago, there is very limited supply of new Ford Super Duty trucks that meet what I was looking for - so when I found one out of state I jumped on it. A 2021 F250 Tremor with the 6.7L, Lariat, Lariat Ultimate, Black Appearance Package, 10800# GVWR .. everything I thought I wanted in a truck.

Unfortunately, as much as I researched, I did not connect the dots on payload capacity/pin weight with enough detail. Well.. I ended up taking a look at the payload stick on the door and its 2777. I know I can weight my truck, but that is likely going to just cut it down to less.

The stupid thing is the Ford F250 Tremor is literally the same thing as the F350, but the payload rating is lower. So I generally feel as though the truck is capable of towing the 337, but I know of the potential liability risks of being over the GVWR.

My 337 had a pin weight rated at like 2070 per the sheet I got from the dealership. Is there anyone that has used their fifthwheel and ended up with a light enough load that you think I wouldn't end up over weight on the pin? or did I just screw myself and I have to buy a new F350.. even though there are basically none available anyway?

I will only be taking 1-2 trips a year.. mainly the RV stays at my hunt camp. How about towing with extra pin weight? Am I crazy?

Ugh,

Rob

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FidelisOne View Post
    Well, I bought a 2020 F250 Tremor 7.3 Gas in November, to tow a boat.. then it ended up being a lemon and worked with Ford to get it repurchased. Between that time, I bought a 2021 337RLS and in all of my research I never came across anything that made me think I would have a problem towing it. The problem was, when I got my lemon repurchased a few weeks ago, there is very limited supply of new Ford Super Duty trucks that meet what I was looking for - so when I found one out of state I jumped on it. A 2021 F250 Tremor with the 6.7L, Lariat, Lariat Ultimate, Black Appearance Package, 10800# GVWR .. everything I thought I wanted in a truck.

Unfortunately, as much as I researched, I did not connect the dots on payload capacity/pin weight with enough detail. Well.. I ended up taking a look at the payload stick on the door and its 2777. I know I can weight my truck, but that is likely going to just cut it down to less.

The stupid thing is the Ford F250 Tremor is literally the same thing as the F350, but the payload rating is lower. So I generally feel as though the truck is capable of towing the 337, but I know of the potential liability risks of being over the GVWR.

My 337 had a pin weight rated at like 2070 per the sheet I got from the dealership. Is there anyone that has used their fifthwheel and ended up with a light enough load that you think I wouldn't end up over weight on the pin? or did I just screw myself and I have to buy a new F350.. even though there are basically none available anyway?

I will only be taking 1-2 trips a year.. mainly the RV stays at my hunt camp. How about towing with extra pin weight? Am I crazy?

Ugh,

Rob
    Well you own everything I take it so load it up how you need to and go weigh it
    Just guessing until you do that

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Well you own everything I take it so load it up how you need to and go weigh it
    Just guessing until you do that

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Yep. Except I need to spend $$ to get a hitch installed as the truck didn't come with factory prep and that would suck to do that just to have to sell the truck because I'm sure I won't get it back in the sale.

Was hoping someone with a 337 might have some real life experience to help or something like that.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Except I need to spend $$ to get a hitch installed as the truck didn't come with factory prep and that would suck to do that just to have to sell the truck because I'm sure I won't get it back in the sale.

Was hoping someone with a 337 might have some real life experience to help or something like that.

Got a friend or somebody you know with a truck to haul it to a scale loaded how you will have it?

Most jump at the chance to hook up and tow something

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the claim of F250s being identical F350s proliferate throughout the internet, and there are some half-truths mostly related to what the average person can compare such as axles. However, modern trucks fundamentally have operating systems, and they are not necessarily equal. Now, I do not represent I am Ford knowledgeable as the Blue Oval has not been part of the family since my grandmother worked for Henry Ford himself. However, one of the members of our camping circle is a Ford powertrain engineer and has been in the F-series going on 8 years. We had a lively discussion about the constant debate of 3/4-ton versus 1-ton SRWs and 5ers, and the "wisdom of the internet." His response put it as succinctly and sharply pointed as could be "if that were really all fact, I would not have a job, and Ford would lose profit with each unit. Do you believe Ford leaves money on the table from its highest demand and profitable segment?" YMMV
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I know the claim of F250s being identical F350s proliferate throughout the internet, and there are some half-truths mostly related to what the average person can compare such as axles. However, modern trucks fundamentally have operating systems, and they are not necessarily equal. Now, I do not represent I am Ford knowledgeable as the Blue Oval has not been part of the family since my grandmother worked for Henry Ford himself. However, one of the members of our camping circle is a Ford powertrain engineer and has been in the F-series going on 8 years. We had a lively discussion about the constant debate of 3/4-ton versus 1-ton SRWs and 5ers, and the "wisdom of the internet." His response put it as succinctly and sharply pointed as could be "if that were really all fact, I would not have a job, and Ford would lose profit with each unit. Do you believe Ford leaves money on the table from its highest demand and profitable segment?" YMMV
    Thanks.

Ya, months of research on the FordTremor forum, part number by part number and nobody has found a part that is different. Again.. this is specifically the Tremor package F250, which has many upgrades above standard F250.

With that said, I'm not trying to treat my truck like an F350, or I wouldn't worry about it or ask these questions. I'm concerned about the actual documented payload and trying to understand if a lightly loaded 337 is reasonable to tow with a max payload capacity of 2777 on the sticker.

Wondering if I could change wheels/tires, drop a tailgate, etc to lower weight and make it feasible. All depends on real life pin weight of 337, which I was hoping to hear from some owners experience. Given the popularity of the 337, I'd expect there might be people willing to share some details.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't own a Ford or a 337RLS but I do own a 3/4 ton Silverado Duramax that has a payload of 3,310 LBS and I'm right up against the max numbers with my 311BHS which has a dry pin weight of 2,197 LBS and in reality it's just shy of 2,800 LBS when I'm loaded and ready to go. Your setup has a dry pin weight of 127 LBS less but you have 533 LBS less payload before you put anything in your RV or install the hitch which will be around 200 LBS with the rails. In my truck when towing is me, my wife, my Viair compressor, the BakFlip tonneau cover and the hitch. That's it. I'm afraid you will be several hundred pounds overweight. With that being said, I have no doubt the Ford would do just fine and wouldn't have any problems. It's just the legal issue you have to come to grips with one way or the other.

And you're not an idiot. You made decisions based on what you thought was right at the time. Learning something different after the fact doesn't make you an idiot. It makes you the same as every other human being.
    Last edited by RobWNY; 06-09-2021 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... My 337 had a pin weight rated at like 2070 per the sheet I got from the dealership. Is there anyone that has used their fifthwheel and ended up with a light enough load that you think I wouldn't end up over weight on the pin? or did I just screw myself and I have to buy a new F350.. even though there are basically none available anyway?

Rob
    First of all, those advertised pin weights and the pin weights as they come off the line are completely empty and dry - no propane, no batteries, nothing in the basement or bedroom closet, no water on board, nada. We spent 4-1/2 years in a 337, weighed at least twice a year, and the pin weight was consistently around 3,000 lbs. This was with no options except the second AC up front, only one battery and water tanks empty. A reliable rule of thumb is to use 23% of the loaded gross weight of the trailer for an estimated loaded pin weight.

It doesn't matter how far or how often you're going to tow it. 69% of all accidents happen within a 10 mile radius of home (per the NTSB). On the other hand, accident investigators don't sweep up the pieces and weigh them to determine if you were overweight or not. Many will tell you that, if you're under the tire and rear axle ratings for the tuck, you're OK. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Only a qualified, licensed mental health provider can determine if you're "crazy" or not.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

It doesn't matter how far or how often you're going to tow it. 69% of all accidents happen within a 10 mile radius of home (per the NTSB).
    So for these stats, do full timers use the state registered as their domicile to call home to decrease their accident chances?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    So for these stats, do full timers use the state registered as their domicile to call home to decrease their accident chances?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    You're funny! The obvious answer is the campground or RV park where you're staying. However, I wish your theory were true; Laura and I could could reduce our chances of an accident by 69% by never going back to Livingston, TX! (Us and the 10,000 other folks who live on Rainbow Drive.)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast