User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think I'd call you an idiot, but perhaps you got fixated on the availability of the truck, because of how difficult it's been to find what you want/need.

Do a search for "real world weights". I think the second return has a thread about 337 weights.

Since you own both already, before I jumped off the deep end, I would try to find someone who would take the 5er to weigh it, loaded the way you intend to camp. Obviously focusing on minimizing pin weight as much as possible. Assuming you can find someone to do that, then at least you can make a more informed decision.

Some people are fixated on not exceeding payload. Others more focused on axle weight ratings. Hopefully, if your pin weight is low enough, you can make it work by using lighter weight hitches like the Andersen (weighs 95lbs I think? or 65?).

If you end up a few pounds over payload but still UNDER axle weight ratings (and tire weight ratings), I would call it good and hit the road. Obviously if you exceed axle weight ratings, or tire weight ratings, your in hard stop no go territory.

Good luck. I hope you can find someone to help you weigh your 5er so you can start with factual data, as it applies to you.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    Don't think I'd call you an idiot, but perhaps you got fixated on the availability of the truck, because of how difficult it's been to find what you want/need.

Do a search for "real world weights". I think the second return has a thread about 337 weights.

Since you own both already, before I jumped off the deep end, I would try to find someone who would take the 5er to weigh it, loaded the way you intend to camp. Obviously focusing on minimizing pin weight as much as possible. Assuming you can find someone to do that, then at least you can make a more informed decision.

Some people are fixated on not exceeding payload. Others more focused on axle weight ratings. Hopefully, if your pin weight is low enough, you can make it work by using lighter weight hitches like the Andersen (weighs 95lbs I think? or 65?).

If you end up a few pounds over payload but still UNDER axle weight ratings (and tire weight ratings), I would call it good and hit the road. Obviously if you exceed axle weight ratings, or tire weight ratings, your in hard stop no go territory.

Good luck. I hope you can find someone to help you weigh your 5er so you can start with factual data, as it applies to you.

Mike
    Thank you. This is great feedback!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    First of all, those advertised pin weights and the pin weights as they come off the line are completely empty and dry - no propane, no batteries, nothing in the basement or bedroom closet, no water on board, nada. We spent 4-1/2 years in a 337, weighed at least twice a year, and the pin weight was consistently around 3,000 lbs. This was with no options except the second AC up front, only one battery and water tanks empty. A reliable rule of thumb is to use 23% of the loaded gross weight of the trailer for an estimated loaded pin weight.

Rob
    3000 lbs.. Thanks

I have the same options, 2nd AC and one battery so good to know.

Thought about doing a B&W turnover ball hitch and getting a Reese goodneck pin box installed. Thinking that helps save some weight.

Moly calculator tells me I would only have about 1200-1500lbs I can put in the RV and stay under, so not sure that's is going to work.

Thanks for the advice!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    You're funny! The obvious answer is the campground or RV park where you're staying. However, I wish your theory were true; Laura and I could could reduce our chances of an accident by 69% by never going back to Livingston, TX! (Us and the 10,000 other folks who live on Rainbow Drive.)

Rob
    You should move to America's mail box in SD. Not vehicle inspections and register by mail.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    You should move to America's mail box in SD. Not vehicle inspections and register by mail.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    We renew every year by mail, anyway. The way the law is written (within three days of returning to your home in Texas), we've had the vehicles inspected once in six years. Not a big deal.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FidelisOne View Post
    Thanks.

Wondering if I could change wheels/tires, drop a tailgate, etc to lower weight and make it feasible.
    You can go with an Anderson hitch @ roughly 30 lbs; saved me about 220 lbs in cargo weight. Anyway, your 250 will handle the 337 all day long as evidenced by the number of 3/4 tons that tow a 337. Despite the brew ha ha about being over your door sticker capacities, I've never seen a post that said, " 3/4 ton pick up destroyed because pin weight of camper exceeded the door sticker numbers by 10%" or "Liability shifts to driver who was struck from behind when it was discovered truck was overloaded".

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grassmaster View Post
    I've never seen a post that said, " 3/4 ton pick up destroyed because pin weight of camper exceeded the door sticker numbers by 10%" or "Liability shifts to driver who was struck from behind when it was discovered truck was overloaded".
    I have never seen this about a 1/2 ton either but the “HD” guys on this forum especially are quick to jump in with their “expertise” in the towing arena and say you are going to kill innocent people and no way you are going to stop that or what happens in an emergency
    Funny this doesn’t apply to overloaded HD trucks

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grassmaster View Post
    You can go with an Anderson hitch @ roughly 30 lbs; saved me about 220 lbs in cargo weight. Anyway, your 250 will handle the 337 all day long as evidenced by the number of 3/4 tons that tow a 337. Despite the brew ha ha about being over your door sticker capacities, I've never seen a post that said, " 3/4 ton pick up destroyed because pin weight of camper exceeded the door sticker numbers by 10%" or "Liability shifts to driver who was struck from behind when it was discovered truck was overloaded".
    Thanks grassmaster.. this helps me a ton.

I know my truck will tow it safely with a light load, maybe even with a heavy load. This is a good reminder of the strong opinions of people and they should be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm looking into hitches, I'll take a look at the Anderson. Hitch weight savings is going to make a big difference. I've thought about doing a B&W turnover ball hitch, and also doing a Reese gooseneck pin box. I think that would be the lightest hitch setup? I'll take a look at the Anderson also for sure!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I have never seen this about a 1/2 ton either but the “HD” guys on this forum especially are quick to jump in with their “expertise” in the towing arena and say you are going to kill innocent people and no way you are going to stop that or what happens in an emergency
    Funny this doesn’t apply to overloaded HD trucks

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I never even looked at payload before. I towed a fairly large offshore boat with my F150 for years.. and always loaded the bed with coolers, ice, gear, fuel, anchors, etc.

I can almost guarantee I was over whatever capacity the truck said, but I just drove safe and never felt sketchy.. even with stopping. I had trailer brakes for a reason.

Reading all of these posts on the forums is what has gotten me worked up.

Hindsight.. I would have loved to just buy a 1 ton truck. But I can't go back in time, and I really don't want to lose 10k and deal with the hassle if I can effectively tow safely.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A curiosity question: I understand that for a TT, the tongue weight needs to be a certain percentage of trailer weight to reduce oscillation (sway). So, heavier TT means heavier TW. Or the other way, if TT is heavier, but you kept TW the same (loaded the back more), you’re creeping toward oscillation conditions. (And WDH “projects” the TW toward the steer axle, but that doesn’t change the sway factor.)

Does the same concern apply to 5ers? Does the hitch being at the rear axle mean it can’t sway and you could tinker with front/back loading more?

(Back when I first googled, I ran across an extensive “white paper” of sorts that went into every detail, almost at the complete physics level. I’m kicking myself for not saving it then. I recall it was on some hitch manufacturers website, but can’t find it again for the life of me. If someone happens to know what I’m talking about, I’d love to get it again.)
    Douglas & Christine
    2019 Ford F-250 XLT 6.2L V8 Fx4 Crew Cab short-bed
    2021 Imagine 2600RB, Build 5/2020
    Equal-i-zer 4-Point Sway Control™, 10000/1000 bars; Ford brake controller; LevelMatePRO+®
    Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure LT275/70R18 (E)
    Westlake Super ST Load Range E 10 p.r.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast