Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh... I may be an idiot.

Well, I bought a 2020 F250 Tremor 7.3 Gas in November, to tow a boat.. then it ended up being a lemon and worked with Ford to get it repurchased. Between that time, I bought a 2021 337RLS and in all of my research I never came across anything that made me think I would have a problem towing it. The problem was, when I got my lemon repurchased a few weeks ago, there is very limited supply of new Ford Super Duty trucks that meet what I was looking for - so when I found one out of state I jumped on it. A 2021 F250 Tremor with the 6.7L, Lariat, Lariat Ultimate, Black Appearance Package, 10800# GVWR .. everything I thought I wanted in a truck.

Unfortunately, as much as I researched, I did not connect the dots on payload capacity/pin weight with enough detail. Well.. I ended up taking a look at the payload stick on the door and its 2777. I know I can weight my truck, but that is likely going to just cut it down to less.

The stupid thing is the Ford F250 Tremor is literally the same thing as the F350, but the payload rating is lower. So I generally feel as though the truck is capable of towing the 337, but I know of the potential liability risks of being over the GVWR.

My 337 had a pin weight rated at like 2070 per the sheet I got from the dealership. Is there anyone that has used their fifthwheel and ended up with a light enough load that you think I wouldn't end up over weight on the pin? or did I just screw myself and I have to buy a new F350.. even though there are basically none available anyway?

I will only be taking 1-2 trips a year.. mainly the RV stays at my hunt camp. How about towing with extra pin weight? Am I crazy?

Ugh,

Rob

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FidelisOne View Post
    Well, I bought a 2020 F250 Tremor 7.3 Gas in November, to tow a boat.. then it ended up being a lemon and worked with Ford to get it repurchased. Between that time, I bought a 2021 337RLS and in all of my research I never came across anything that made me think I would have a problem towing it. The problem was, when I got my lemon repurchased a few weeks ago, there is very limited supply of new Ford Super Duty trucks that meet what I was looking for - so when I found one out of state I jumped on it. A 2021 F250 Tremor with the 6.7L, Lariat, Lariat Ultimate, Black Appearance Package, 10800# GVWR .. everything I thought I wanted in a truck.

Unfortunately, as much as I researched, I did not connect the dots on payload capacity/pin weight with enough detail. Well.. I ended up taking a look at the payload stick on the door and its 2777. I know I can weight my truck, but that is likely going to just cut it down to less.

The stupid thing is the Ford F250 Tremor is literally the same thing as the F350, but the payload rating is lower. So I generally feel as though the truck is capable of towing the 337, but I know of the potential liability risks of being over the GVWR.

My 337 had a pin weight rated at like 2070 per the sheet I got from the dealership. Is there anyone that has used their fifthwheel and ended up with a light enough load that you think I wouldn't end up over weight on the pin? or did I just screw myself and I have to buy a new F350.. even though there are basically none available anyway?

I will only be taking 1-2 trips a year.. mainly the RV stays at my hunt camp. How about towing with extra pin weight? Am I crazy?

Ugh,

Rob
    Well you own everything I take it so load it up how you need to and go weigh it
    Just guessing until you do that

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Well you own everything I take it so load it up how you need to and go weigh it
    Just guessing until you do that

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Yep. Except I need to spend $$ to get a hitch installed as the truck didn't come with factory prep and that would suck to do that just to have to sell the truck because I'm sure I won't get it back in the sale.

Was hoping someone with a 337 might have some real life experience to help or something like that.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Except I need to spend $$ to get a hitch installed as the truck didn't come with factory prep and that would suck to do that just to have to sell the truck because I'm sure I won't get it back in the sale.

Was hoping someone with a 337 might have some real life experience to help or something like that.

Got a friend or somebody you know with a truck to haul it to a scale loaded how you will have it?

Most jump at the chance to hook up and tow something

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the claim of F250s being identical F350s proliferate throughout the internet, and there are some half-truths mostly related to what the average person can compare such as axles. However, modern trucks fundamentally have operating systems, and they are not necessarily equal. Now, I do not represent I am Ford knowledgeable as the Blue Oval has not been part of the family since my grandmother worked for Henry Ford himself. However, one of the members of our camping circle is a Ford powertrain engineer and has been in the F-series going on 8 years. We had a lively discussion about the constant debate of 3/4-ton versus 1-ton SRWs and 5ers, and the "wisdom of the internet." His response put it as succinctly and sharply pointed as could be "if that were really all fact, I would not have a job, and Ford would lose profit with each unit. Do you believe Ford leaves money on the table from its highest demand and profitable segment?" YMMV
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I know the claim of F250s being identical F350s proliferate throughout the internet, and there are some half-truths mostly related to what the average person can compare such as axles. However, modern trucks fundamentally have operating systems, and they are not necessarily equal. Now, I do not represent I am Ford knowledgeable as the Blue Oval has not been part of the family since my grandmother worked for Henry Ford himself. However, one of the members of our camping circle is a Ford powertrain engineer and has been in the F-series going on 8 years. We had a lively discussion about the constant debate of 3/4-ton versus 1-ton SRWs and 5ers, and the "wisdom of the internet." His response put it as succinctly and sharply pointed as could be "if that were really all fact, I would not have a job, and Ford would lose profit with each unit. Do you believe Ford leaves money on the table from its highest demand and profitable segment?" YMMV
    Thanks.

Ya, months of research on the FordTremor forum, part number by part number and nobody has found a part that is different. Again.. this is specifically the Tremor package F250, which has many upgrades above standard F250.

With that said, I'm not trying to treat my truck like an F350, or I wouldn't worry about it or ask these questions. I'm concerned about the actual documented payload and trying to understand if a lightly loaded 337 is reasonable to tow with a max payload capacity of 2777 on the sticker.

Wondering if I could change wheels/tires, drop a tailgate, etc to lower weight and make it feasible. All depends on real life pin weight of 337, which I was hoping to hear from some owners experience. Given the popularity of the 337, I'd expect there might be people willing to share some details.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.

Wondering if I could change wheels/tires, drop a tailgate, etc to lower weight and make it feasible.
    You can go with an Anderson hitch @ roughly 30 lbs; saved me about 220 lbs in cargo weight. Anyway, your 250 will handle the 337 all day long as evidenced by the number of 3/4 tons that tow a 337. Despite the brew ha ha about being over your door sticker capacities, I've never seen a post that said, " 3/4 ton pick up destroyed because pin weight of camper exceeded the door sticker numbers by 10%" or "Liability shifts to driver who was struck from behind when it was discovered truck was overloaded".

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grassmaster View Post
    I've never seen a post that said, " 3/4 ton pick up destroyed because pin weight of camper exceeded the door sticker numbers by 10%" or "Liability shifts to driver who was struck from behind when it was discovered truck was overloaded".
    I have never seen this about a 1/2 ton either but the “HD” guys on this forum especially are quick to jump in with their “expertise” in the towing arena and say you are going to kill innocent people and no way you are going to stop that or what happens in an emergency
    Funny this doesn’t apply to overloaded HD trucks

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I have never seen this about a 1/2 ton either but the “HD” guys on this forum especially are quick to jump in with their “expertise” in the towing arena and say you are going to kill innocent people and no way you are going to stop that or what happens in an emergency
    Funny this doesn’t apply to overloaded HD trucks

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I never even looked at payload before. I towed a fairly large offshore boat with my F150 for years.. and always loaded the bed with coolers, ice, gear, fuel, anchors, etc.

I can almost guarantee I was over whatever capacity the truck said, but I just drove safe and never felt sketchy.. even with stopping. I had trailer brakes for a reason.

Reading all of these posts on the forums is what has gotten me worked up.

Hindsight.. I would have loved to just buy a 1 ton truck. But I can't go back in time, and I really don't want to lose 10k and deal with the hassle if I can effectively tow safely.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grassmaster View Post
    You can go with an Anderson hitch @ roughly 30 lbs; saved me about 220 lbs in cargo weight. Anyway, your 250 will handle the 337 all day long as evidenced by the number of 3/4 tons that tow a 337. Despite the brew ha ha about being over your door sticker capacities, I've never seen a post that said, " 3/4 ton pick up destroyed because pin weight of camper exceeded the door sticker numbers by 10%" or "Liability shifts to driver who was struck from behind when it was discovered truck was overloaded".
    Thanks grassmaster.. this helps me a ton.

I know my truck will tow it safely with a light load, maybe even with a heavy load. This is a good reminder of the strong opinions of people and they should be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm looking into hitches, I'll take a look at the Anderson. Hitch weight savings is going to make a big difference. I've thought about doing a B&W turnover ball hitch, and also doing a Reese gooseneck pin box. I think that would be the lightest hitch setup? I'll take a look at the Anderson also for sure!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast