User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Cibolo, Tx
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Lippert 6 Jack System Issue When Retracting

    When retracting the 6 jacks with all slides in I'm having an issue where the jack stops coming up and I have to release the button and let it set a few seconds than start again. This can happen several times during the retraction and happens with all 6. My fluid tank is full upon full retraction of all slides and jacks. I've had the system checked and they claim no issues found. Suggestions on what to check or do. This is on a 2019 Grand Design 310. thanks
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

  2. #2
    Seasoned Camper cfowler55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Dripping Springs , Texas
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the circuit breaker for the hydraulic system , mounted above the battery. Best I recall they come with a 50 amp , but need an 80 amp. You can do a search to confirm that. I will say typically the breaker will go open extending the jacks instead of retracting , but still possible. Ours would open when bringing slides in early on.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

  3. #3
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    "Murvil", TN
    Posts
    1,351
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the front compartment, where the Hydraulic pump and tank is located, there is an auto reset breaker on the back wall of the compartment. It's possible that the breaker is tripping and then when it cools off, it resets. The easiest way to locate it is to start with the red wire at the hydraulic pump motor reverservinc contactor and follow that red wire back to the device it connects to....the auto reset breaker. The other side of that breaker hooks directly up to the Pos. terminal of the battery and that wiring is a heavier gauge wire than most of the stuff in that area.

    Now that you've found it, have someone run the levelers up, just like you were doing when it quits. While they are running them up, stick you head inside the compartment and you may even be able to hear it click if it is in fact.....tripping. Check and see if it is a 50 auto breaker, and if it is, Grand Design will send you a new one that will be a larger size (80A breaker). If it is tripping and it is an 80A breaker, there are a couple of choices to consider. 1. The breaker could be defective and tripping prematurely. 2. The motor circuit for the pump is going bad. The cheapest and easiest is of course replacing the breaker....a part that is approx. $30. If you have a multimeter, you can check for loss of voltage at the terminal that has the wire that goes to the pump motor contactor when you hear it trip. Hope this helps.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M....Got it!
    2019 Can Am Spyder RT
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

    "If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

  4. #4
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    "Murvil", TN
    Posts
    1,351
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    Check the circuit breaker for the hydraulic system , mounted above the battery. Best I recall they come with a 50 amp , but need an 80 amp. You can do a search to confirm that. I will say typically the breaker will go open extending the jacks instead of retracting , but still possible. Ours would open when bringing slides in early on.
    Charlie
    When I was troubleshooting mine a couple of years ago, I put an amprobe on the circuit and the retracting actually drew a couple more amps of current than when extending them. Either way, they were pulling right at 70 amps....which is never good when going through a 50A breaker.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M....Got it!
    2019 Can Am Spyder RT
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

    "If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

  5. #5
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Cibolo, Tx
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll check that, but my silly question now is why would GD put an undersized breaker there to start with? I didn't have this issue the first year I had it.
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

  6. #6
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Cibolo, Tx
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll check then when we head out Friday. If it's auto resetting it does it fast. I normally only wait maybe 4-5 seconds to restart. thanks
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

  7. #7
    Site Sponsor SolarPoweredRV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Tampa Florida
    Posts
    936
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    Check the circuit breaker for the hydraulic system , mounted above the battery. Best I recall they come with a 50 amp , but need an 80 amp. You can do a search to confirm that. I will say typically the breaker will go open extending the jacks instead of retracting , but still possible. Ours would open when bringing slides in early on.
    Charlie
    Yes this is a strong possibility.

    Another strong possibility is your battery is weak and/or insufficient. Do you only have a single battery? Are you hooked up to either shore power or to your tow vehicle (and are you sure you are getting 12 volts from the truck)?

    Try being hooked up to the tow vehicle with the TV running (ensure you have 12 volts from the truck [newer Fords need the brakes applied with the doors closed]). Also, if you have access to a "Jump" box try attaching that to your battery to boost your battery's power output.

    Checking these items should put you on the path to solving this issue.

    PS: If you do need to install a 80 amp breaker, I would suggest replacing all the wiring for the hydraulic pump with 4 ga wire. I upgraded all my wiring when I installed the 80 amp breaker and the whole system works very well now.

    PPS: This is the 80 amp, self resetting, breaker I installed:

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

  8. #8
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Cibolo, Tx
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dual batteries and hook to truck. I look at this also. thanks
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

  9. #9
    Site Sponsor SolarPoweredRV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Tampa Florida
    Posts
    936
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasUmpire View Post
    Dual batteries and hook to truck. I look at this also. thanks
    Then it sounds like the Self Resetting Breaker.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

  10. #10
    Site Sponsor
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    "Murvil", TN
    Posts
    1,351
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Yes this is a strong possibility.

    Another strong possibility is your battery is weak and/or insufficient. Do you only have a single battery? Are you hooked up to either shore power or to your tow vehicle (and are you sure you are getting 12 volts from the truck)?

    Try being hooked up to the tow vehicle with the TV running (ensure you have 12 volts from the truck [newer Fords need the brakes applied with the doors closed]). Also, if you have access to a "Jump" box try attaching that to your battery to boost your battery's power output.

    Checking these items should put you on the path to solving this issue.

    PS: If you do need to install a 80 amp breaker, I would suggest replacing all the wiring for the hydraulic pump with 4 ga wire. I upgraded all my wiring when I installed the 80 amp breaker and the whole system works very well now.

    PPS: This is the 80 amp, self resetting, breaker I installed:

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I upsized the wire on mine also......all the way from the battery to the breaker, then the breaker to the reversing switch on the motor...AND....just as importantly, the black cable (12V neg connection) from the switch to frame ground. Some folks forget about upsizing the ground cable, but the circuit capability is only as good as the weakest part of it....so don't forget the ground cable when upsizing.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M....Got it!
    2019 Can Am Spyder RT
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

    "If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.