Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice on Air Suspension

I'm new to this Forum.
    I have a 2021 Solitude 390RK-R and a 2020 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Dually. The Solitude has a Pin Weight of 2794 and the Ram has a Max Payload of 5760. I am also NEW to having a 5th Whee. When I hitch the Solitude the bed of the Ram sinks a lot. I was wondering if this is bad or if I shoud get air suspension(s) or something to offeset the dip or it's good the way it is considering the two wieghts recieved and applied to the truck?
    If anyone sugest addind some to the suspension let me know which product.
    Thanks
    Jay

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum!

First, your loaded pin weight is probably closer to 3,500lbs rather than the advertised empty pin weight of 2,794lbs. You have the right truck for this RV so 3,500lbs is no problem!

If you need to raise the rear of your truck so your RV sits level when loaded, air bags are a good solution. If your RV is already sitting level but the truck drops say 3" when loaded, I wouldn't worry about it. The suspension on your DRW truck is more than capable of handling your pin weight.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much does it sink? Rear ends are made to sink. There's usually 2.5"-3" of difference between the front and rear on trucks. If it tows fine then it's working as it should.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can the truck take it = yup. Now, unfortunately what so many folks talking payload forget, it's not a point load on the axle. Payload rating is based upon distributed loading. Truck can take it but when concentrated can lead to other concerns.. So, your heavy point load is squatting the suspension. If the squat merely levels your RAM, no issue at all. If however you feel like you're getting ready for takeoff with the front end pointed skyward, that's a problem. In the least case because your headlights no longer point to where they should. Worse case, you're unloading the front axle somewhat, which could give you poor steering attitude. With a 3500 dually and that pin load, which is probably 500# more wet, the latter is highly unlikely, but maybe realistic on the light aiming. Additionally, if squatting is enough so that your clearance between the bed rails and 5er overhang is more than about 3/4" different with front closer than rear, adding air bags will allow you to level off for the benefit of where your lights point and even up the bed rail clearance. Finally, if you're like the rest of us, a blue boy, generator, firewood, grill, etc will end up in that bed with the available payload at some point...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Can the truck take it = yup. Now, unfortunately what so many folks talking payload forget, it's not a point load on the axle. Payload rating is based upon distributed loading. Truck can take it but when concentrated can lead to other concerns.. So, your heavy point load is squatting the suspension. If the squat merely levels your RAM, no issue at all. If however you feel like you're getting ready for takeoff with the front end pointed skyward, that's a problem. In the least case because your headlights no longer point to where they should. Worse case, you're unloading the front axle somewhat, which could give you poor steering attitude. With a 3500 dually and that pin load, which is probably 500# more wet, the latter is highly unlikely, but maybe realistic on the light aiming. Additionally, if squatting is enough so that your clearance between the bed rails and 5er overhang is more than about 3/4" different with front closer than rear, adding air bags will allow you to level off for the benefit of where your lights point and even up the bed rail clearance. Finally, if you're like the rest of us, a blue boy, generator, firewood, grill, etc will end up in that bed with the available payload at some point...
    Rob and I have almost the same rig. He is right on. Our rig has a pin weight of 3550#. We also have a bed tool box full of stuff, the companion hitch weighs 200+ and the generator 100# all in the bed. Our Ram sets back end high normally 2.5-3 inches, with the 5er hitched its squats about 2.7" and ends up level and last time I checked it has almost 7" of bed clearance. The front tires are not significantly unloaded so steering is not a problem. I don't have air bags, don't need them. Your rig might be different when all hitched up, check it out and then decide if you need air bags.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay,

Welcome to the forum! I recommend that you create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Happy camping!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gribbin View Post
    I'm new to this Forum.
    I have a 2021 Solitude 390RK-R and a 2020 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Dually. The Solitude has a Pin Weight of 2794 and the Ram has a Max Payload of 5760. I am also NEW to having a 5th Whee. When I hitch the Solitude the bed of the Ram sinks a lot. I was wondering if this is bad or if I shoud get air suspension(s) or something to offeset the dip or it's good the way it is considering the two wieghts recieved and applied to the truck?
    If anyone sugest addind some to the suspension let me know which product.
    Thanks
    Jay
    I've pulled with and without airbags. You don't NEED them. They do, however, help level and improve the loaded ride; significantly in my experience.
    My experiences are with SRW, to take this with a grain of salt.

Firestone airbags in my '14 Ram 3500 with the Airlift compressor and remote was a great combination. Worked very well, easy to install and was worth the cost/effort.
    My '21 has factory air. Same concept but it manages the pressure to level itself. The "feel" is exactly the same as the firestones on my '14.

Best of luck!
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2021 Ram 3500 SRW and a GD 337rls. A slightly smaller setup but I think the concept still applies.

Without airbags the truck squat about 2.5". Trailer was sitting level. The problem was the trailer would buck the truck a good bit going over bumps.

So I installed Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bags. A fairly easy DIY install. Inflated to 75 psi took the squat out got the front end back to original height. This resulted in a much smoother ride not allowing the trailer to buck the truck. It was a very noticeable improvement in ride quality.

Did I need the airbags? Nope.
    Did the airbags improve the towing ride and am I glad I have them. Absolutely!!!

For the price I paid for the new truck and new 5th wheel what's another few hundred dollars to improve the ride.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Adding Air Suspension: Thanks foe the input. My sqaut is between 2 1/2 and 3 inches a

Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
    I have a 2021 Ram 3500 SRW and a GD 337rls. A slightly smaller setup but I think the concept still applies.

Without airbags the truck squat about 2.5". Trailer was sitting level. The problem was the trailer would buck the truck a good bit going over bumps.

So I installed Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bags. A fairly easy DIY install. Inflated to 75 psi took the squat out got the front end back to original height. This resulted in a much smoother ride not allowing the trailer to buck the truck. It was a very noticeable improvement in ride quality.

Did I need the airbags? Nope.
    Did the airbags improve the towing ride and am I glad I have them. Absolutely!!!

For the price I paid for the new truck and new 5th wheel what's another few hundred dollars to improve the ride.
    Thanks foe the input. My sqaut is between 2 1/2 and 3 inches and when towing I do otice a push when going over, especially bridges, what brand air suspension did you buy and how much. Is it really easy to install, I'm mechanically inclined but not much with vehicles, especially brand new one I don't want to mess up, if you know what I men.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My squat is between 2 1/2 and 3 inches, thatnls for your input.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast