User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I need a special power receptacle to replace a broken one?

Hi all,

We have an outlet within a cabinet in our outdoor kitchen. Something obviously bounced around while we were traveling and it broke a corner off the receptacle and the cover around it. My camper is in my shed at the moment and I can't open the kitchen without pulling the camper out. My recollection is the receptacle is a single unit with a frame around it, with no electrical box in the wall. What do I need to replace it? I tried some searching for "camper receptacle" and "camper outlet" on amazon and at camping world and I'm not finding much. I did see a forum reference to a "self contained" receptacle on another site. What do I need to purchase?
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    Hi all,

We have an outlet within a cabinet in our outdoor kitchen. Something obviously bounced around while we were traveling and it broke a corner off the receptacle and the cover around it. My camper is in my shed at the moment and I can't open the kitchen without pulling the camper out. My recollection is the receptacle is a single unit with a frame around it, with no electrical box in the wall. What do I need to replace it? I tried some searching for "camper receptacle" and "camper outlet" on amazon and at camping world and I'm not finding much. I did see a forum reference to a "self contained" receptacle on another site. What do I need to purchase?
    So, if you go to the Grand Design website, https://www granddesignrv.com, and under Owner Support -> Service and Warranty -> Parts Lookup, you enter the relevant information for your coach, and can browse most of the parts for your camper. I found better the outlet and the receptacle plate for my 320MKS. From there, you will have a better idea of what to get from Amazon, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. If you want to match the color, you can call your dealer and have them order it from Grand Design.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you looking for something like this
    https://tweetys.com/valterradg15brvp...overbrown.aspx
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can purchase the unitized outlet from Amazon or any RV supply. However, if you have the clearance behind the outlet you can use an ordinary residential old work/remodeling box and standard Decora-style outlet.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The RV OEM SCD style outlet is junk.. Replace with "old Work" shallow depth outlet box and 15 amp commercial grade outlet.. Screw on terminals for wires.. You have a fire hazard at every one of those OEM outlets just waiting to happen.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what to use when replacing those OEM RV style SCD outlets...

the first image shows backside of RV style outlet.. the wires are held in place by small clips that are supposed to pierce the wire insulation and hold the wire in place.. A special tool is needed to properly install one of these outlets...

They are JUNK... use an old work box and good 15 am outlet with screw terminals for a much more robust and reliable outlet that can actually handle the amperage draw of a coffee pot, instapot, airfryer, etc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img (4).jpeg   img (5).jpeg   img (7).jpeg  

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I replaced some "rv" ones with standard usb/110 outlets in the wardrobe of my bedroom. All I did was make everything nice and tight and wrapped the connections with electrical tape down to the wire. Over a year ago, multiple trips, no problems.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    Hi all,

These are the ones rv manufacturers use: https://www.hubbell.com/bryant/en/wirecon

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same issue and ordered one off Amazon; when I look at my orders, the one I got (was brown) is no longer available.

It was similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Group...04M8N5A8&psc=1

I agree with the comments from @Viper02; the way you just press the wires into channels that cut into the insulation doesn't seem like a solid solution. That said, I am not the most handy guy, and this was exactly what I removed, so, I went with it, as it required no modifications. It is an outlet I use often, and has held up so far (guessing two seasons ago).
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS