Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WDH needed for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks???

I don't remember the exact weight where a WDH is strongly recommended but almost every single 1/2 ton truck has one. I did on mine and it was a MUST. Now that I have upgraded, is it still equally important/needed? Surely there's no harm in using one or being overly cautious but if its not needed, it would be nice to eliminate a few steps and use the same ball as all my other trailers. (I use a B&W 3-ball thingy) I still see plenty of 3/4 ton trucks that do have them but more often then not, when I see a 1 ton towing a TT, there is no WDH. My thought is you may not gain any "weight distribution" but the sway control would still be beneficial? If that's true, on my particular WDH, would the sway control still work if there is less weight being distributed meaning there is less pressure on the bars which is needed to ride on top of the brake material to prevent sway? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!!
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd try without a wdh. If you do experience sway then I'd load up the front a little more. Often sway is cause by too little weight on the tongue. Worse case is you add a wdh if you feel that the ride needs it.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Imagine 2250RK and my TV is a Ram 2500 CTD with the factory air ride auto leveling rear suspension. I wanted to try towing without a WD hitch before purchasing one and ended up not needing one. The trailer tows fine and the truck rides perfectly level and have not seen even the slightest bit of sway. So for now, I am opting to forego the WD hitch with my setup. It really depends on your setup (i.e. tongue weight and truck suspension)
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my case, although I transferred WDH from sellers F-250 to mine and believed it didn’t need to be readjusted, it looked fine/level and drove fine. No different than old WDH and old trailer.

After a few trips, I weighed everything based on all my education here, and found out the bars were adding nothing at all. It was set too low. Per recommendation, I raised the bars a notch and restored 79% of weight back to front axle. No clear difference in normal driving. I imagine difference could show up in an abnormal event.

4040# unhitched
    3660# no WDH (3700# on wrong setting)
    3960# WDH raised a notch

ETA: Would too little weight/traction on front show up as sway or as loss of steering first?
    Last edited by Cdburgerjr; 06-09-2021 at 05:28 PM.
    Douglas & Christine
    2019 Ford F-250 XLT 6.2L V8 Fx4 Crew Cab short-bed
    2021 Imagine 2600RB, Build 5/2020
    Equal-i-zer 4-Point Sway Control™, 10000/1000 bars; Ford brake controller; LevelMatePRO+®
    Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure LT275/70R18 (E)
    Westlake Super ST Load Range E 10 p.r.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I had a travel trailer and an HD truck, I still used the WD hitch and dialed in the same amount of force. It really helped with sway and put some weight back on the front wheels for steering. With an HD truck, it's more about handling than it is about the load on the rear axle of the truck. A WD hitch also buys you higher tongue and trailer weight capacities than not using one.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though my Chevy 2500 did not require a WDH (per Chevy, not required at any tongue weight), I always used one anytime I was pulling on the freeway, or any real distance. You can feel a slight difference in the front end on steering. Going down the freeway in high winds, storms, and such, I liked the feeling of having the sway control of the hitch, even if I may not have needed it.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pull our Momentum 31G with a '17 Ram Cummins dually. I've pulled with and without our Weigh Safe WDH. Major difference even with the 1 ton. Much better pulling with the hitch.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    When I had a travel trailer and an HD truck, I still used the WD hitch and dialed in the same amount of force. It really helped with sway and put some weight back on the front wheels for steering. With an HD truck, it's more about handling than it is about the load on the rear axle of the truck. A WD hitch also buys you higher tongue and trailer weight capacities than not using one.

Rob
    Hey Rob, Thanks for your input! I've seen a lot of your replies and have learned quite a bit from listening to what you and others have to say. Can you explain in greater detail the WD hitch tongue and trailer weight capacities increase vs not using one? I don't understand that one. I know it may seem dumb to not use a WDH especially since I already have one and its set up, I guess I'm just being lazy and trying to validate not using the big bulky hitch and bars but don't want to do this at cost of trading my laziness for safety. We have a 2.5 hour trip this weekend so I may try not using it and see how she does.
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgunter5 View Post
    Hey Rob, Thanks for your input! I've seen a lot of your replies and have learned quite a bit from listening to what you and others have to say. Can you explain in greater detail the WD hitch tongue and trailer weight capacities increase vs not using one? I don't understand that one. I know it may seem dumb to not use a WDH especially since I already have one and its set up, I guess I'm just being lazy and trying to validate not using the big bulky hitch and bars but don't want to do this at cost of trading my laziness for safety. We have a 2.5 hour trip this weekend so I may try not using it and see how she does.
    The hitch receivers on both of my HD trucks have/had placards or stamped into them the maximum hitch and tongue weights (repeated in the manual) for "dead" weight (no WD hitch) and weights with a WD hitch. For example, here are the specs for my current truck:

Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 5000 lbs
    Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 500 lbs
    Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 17500 lbs
    Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 2625 lbs
    Fifth Wheel Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 21900 lbs
    Fifth Wheel Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 5475 lbs

As you can see, there is a significant difference in the numbers for with or without a WD hitch. It may have to do with how weight and stresses are distributed on the chassis and weight being transferred back to the front wheels for steering and control. Our current truck has dual rear wheels, so you know it isn't about what the rear axle and tires can take! I agree that WD hitches are a PITA to hitch up... but I would opt for using the WD hitch (which I did when I owned a TT). You never know when an idiot is going to cut you off (have had that happen more than once) or an afternoon thunder-bumper pops up and creates gusty winds.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The hitch receivers on both of my HD trucks have/had placards or stamped into them the maximum hitch and tongue weights (repeated in the manual) for "dead" weight (no WD hitch) and weights with a WD hitch. For example, here are the specs for my current truck:

Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 5000 lbs
    Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 500 lbs
    Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 17500 lbs
    Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 2625 lbs
    Fifth Wheel Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 21900 lbs
    Fifth Wheel Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 5475 lbs

As you can see, there is a significant difference in the numbers for with or without a WD hitch. It may have to do with how weight and stresses are distributed on the chassis and weight being transferred back to the front wheels for steering and control. Our current truck has dual rear wheels, so you know it isn't about what the rear axle and tires can take! I agree that WD hitches are a PITA to hitch up... but I would opt for using the WD hitch (which I did when I owned a TT). You never know when an idiot is going to cut you off (have had that happen more than once) or an afternoon thunder-bumper pops up and creates gusty winds.

Rob
    Yup, now it makes sense! If my truck is similar, 5K for the trailer would force me to use the WDH anyways....... Looks like I'm leaning towards just using my fancy WDH after all. Maybe I'll invest in the new weigh safe one! Looks pretty fancy!!! Thanks again Rob, and everyone else for your input. Truly helps new comers like me make informed decisions.
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast