User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LED lights under 5th wheel quit working

I have a 2014 303RLS and the led lights under the unit just quit working. I've checked all fuses and from what I can tell are on the same circuit as the led lights under the awning which still work.

I don't know if they are connected or not but the lights on the starboard side (passenger) will sometimes not work with the slide in or out. That issue has to be a connection somewhere as sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. It is the light on that side. The lights over the table and the lights over the captains chairs will not work but I find if I move the slide slightly in or out they begin working.

Any ideas where to start even looking?

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Best Papa View Post
    I have a 2014 303RLS and the led lights under the unit just quit working. I've checked all fuses and from what I can tell are on the same circuit as the led lights under the awning which still work.

I don't know if they are connected or not but the lights on the starboard side (passenger) will sometimes not work with the slide in or out. That issue has to be a connection somewhere as sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. It is the light on that side. The lights over the table and the lights over the captains chairs will not work but I find if I move the slide slightly in or out they begin working.

It sounds like you have a pinched wire, or a broken wire that is only intermittently making a connection. You could also have a ground wire that has corroded and that is the source of the intermittency (remember also, that the Manufacturer could be using the frame for ground and you would need to look for corrosion on all metal connected to the main frame as well).

The first place I would look is under the slide. There is a metal arm that is articulated in the middle whose only purpose is to carry the wire loom and fold it safely. I would begin looking at the wires closest to the middle articulation point. I would next look at the wires at the two end articulation points.

Your best scenario is that you see some obvious wire chafing or strong bends in the wires. Otherwise, you are looking at a wire that has an internal break which is not easy to find. If you suspect an internal break, I would suggest you buy a spool of wire and simply start replacing the suspected wire(s) one at a time till the problem resolves.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you talking about the step light or the light under the bedroom slide? I don’t think there were any other LEDs except for the hitch light and awning on a 2014.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    It sounds like you have a pinched wire, or a broken wire that is only intermittently making a connection. You could also have a ground wire that has corroded and that is the source of the intermittency (remember also, that the Manufacturer could be using the frame for ground and you would need to look for corrosion on all metal connected to the main frame as well).

The first place I would look is under the slide. There is a metal arm that is articulated in the middle whose only purpose is to carry the wire loom and fold it safely. I would begin looking at the wires closest to the middle articulation point. I would next look at the wires at the two end articulation points.

Your best scenario is that you see some obvious wire chafing or strong bends in the wires. Otherwise, you are looking at a wire that has an internal break which is not easy to find. If you suspect an internal break, I would suggest you buy a spool of wire and simply start replacing the suspected wire(s) one at a time till the problem resolves.
    Thank you. I will look where you suggest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On our 2021 320 MKS. The lights for the bedroom over the bed and for the light under the slide are under the bed. We had three screws to remove them respliced the wires and repositioned to give them more slack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin & Deb. 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW Platinum
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 50ST8R View Post
    On our 2021 320 MKS. The lights for the bedroom over the bed and for the light under the slide are under the bed. We had three screws to remove them respliced the wires and repositioned to give them more slack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin & Deb. 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW Platinum
    No, on our 2014 303RLS the entire undercarriage is lined with a strip of small LED lights that turn on with a switch right next to the outside lights under the awning. They work well when you want to light up the area of the camp but don't want the glare of an above light. They quit working on my last trip but the fuse is the same as the patio lights.

Because I've been gone I' haven't had time to climb under and try some of the suggestions from above. It's also going to be 118 here this weekend so I'm putting that chore off for awhile.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, on our 2014 303RLS the entire undercarriage is lined with a strip of small LED lights that turn on with a switch right next to the outside lights under the awning. They work well when you want to light up the area of the camp but don't want the glare of an above light. They quit working on my last trip but the fuse is the same as the patio lights.

Because I've been gone I' haven't had time to climb under and try some of the suggestions from above. It's also going to be 118 here this weekend so I'm putting that chore off for awhile.
    I don’t believe those are original equipment.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    I don’t believe those are original equipment.
    They are OEM, our 310GK has an LED strip that lights up the front half of the camper.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    They are OEM, our 310GK has an LED strip that lights up the front half of the camper.
    I have the same rig as the OP and don’t have them.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those were added by the last owner. Reflections do not come with undercarriage LED's.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast