User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Much Power 376THS

For the first time we have our 376THS in really hot weather. When we have all 3 A/Cs running we are consuming roughly 40 amps or 4200 watts according to my Power Watchdog. How much more power can I use (safely) if I am hooked up to a 50 amp shore power? The simple answer (10a) or 1200 watts more? Are there 2 - 50 amp legs to shore power (2 x 50 amp x 120 = 12,000 watts available?). I know I need to be judicious on which circuit to use as to not overload the breaker.

Thanks everyone!
    Matt
    2021 Momentum 376THS FW
    2020 Ram 3500 HO Cummins DRW LB
    B&W Companion 25K Splendide Washer and Dryer Separate DV6400X

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes there are 2 50A hot lines, 50A each. You still need to be mindful ofyour split, you can have up to 100A total, but each leg needs to be less than 50A which your watch dog should be able to indicate for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Yes there are 2 50A hot lines, 50A each. You still need to be mindful ofyour split, you can have up to 100A total, but each leg needs to be less than 50A which your watch dog should be able to indicate for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for your assistance! Safe travels.
    Matt
    2021 Momentum 376THS FW
    2020 Ram 3500 HO Cummins DRW LB
    B&W Companion 25K Splendide Washer and Dryer Separate DV6400X

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    For the first time we have our 376THS in really hot weather. When we have all 3 A/Cs running we are consuming roughly 40 amps or 4200 watts according to my Power Watchdog. How much more power can I use (safely) if I am hooked up to a 50 amp shore power? The simple answer (10a) or 1200 watts more? Are there 2 - 50 amp legs to shore power (2 x 50 amp x 120 = 12,000 watts available?). I know I need to be judicious on which circuit to use as to not overload the breaker.

Thanks everyone!
    Exactly as @FT4NOW said, you have up to 50A available on each of the two legs. But this is a maximum and you do not have to keep them balanced. For example you can use up to 50A on one leg and 10A on the other. You just can not exceed 50A on either leg. Be aware, that both the power pedestal and your trailer have 50A breakers. If you are really pushing the capacity, either one could trip (i.e. may need to check both places if they trip). Note: Breakers degrade over time and with each cycle, so the breakers on the power pedestal may trip well below 50A. Also, the breakers should be tied together with a handle, so if one leg (side) trips, both legs will turn off and you will lose all shore power to the trailer. Even if you are only pulling a few amps on the second leg.

Also, if you are pulling near capacity (50A) on either leg, check you plug at the pedestal. If the outlet (in the pedestal) is worn (not uncommon in RV parks), you may be getting a higher resistance and with the high current the plug & receptacle may run very hot. If that is the case, try to lower your current and notify the park management. I have seen some pretty bad receptacles and heard of damaged plugs/cords from this.

Lastly, this is all for 50A shore power, with a total of 100A maximum. If you use an adapter to run off of 30 service, even though you have 50A cord and distribution inside the trailer, you are limited to a total on both legs in the trailers of 30A.

Hope this helps

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 06-10-2021 at 04:38 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023