User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitch Plate corrosion

Hello All. Hope I'm in the right thread for this question. I Have a 2021 Reflection 260RD with a Pullrite 1900 hitch. I tow with a 2018 Ram 2500 longbed truck and my Turning Point is locked out. I've had this rig for about 3 months and have put about 1000 miles on it from about 10 trips. I don't have the hitch covered - the cover has been on back order for 2 months from Pullrite. I use a lube plate so I don't grease the plate itself. My question is, the plate on my hitch is showing a lot of wear. The hitch has circular rust marks as well as a few gauges. This is our first 5th wheel so I'm not sure how the wear and tear on the hitch should look. Hope my attachment worked. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hitch.jpg  

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typical. You will always get dirt under the lube plate and it wears the finish. Get yourself a can of Boeshield T9, or if you're a firearms guy, a good CLP works great to give protection.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Geotex1. Boeshield works okay with a lube plate installed? Would I spray boeshield on each time I hitch or does it put on a coating that lasts a while? Thanks again for the help.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdux999 View Post
    Hello All. Hope I'm in the right thread for this question. I Have a 2021 Reflection 260RD with a Pullrite 1900 hitch. I tow with a 2018 Ram 2500 longbed truck and my Turning Point is locked out. I've had this rig for about 3 months and have put about 1000 miles on it from about 10 trips. I don't have the hitch covered - the cover has been on back order for 2 months from Pullrite. I use a lube plate so I don't grease the plate itself. My question is, the plate on my hitch is showing a lot of wear. The hitch has circular rust marks as well as a few gauges. This is our first 5th wheel so I'm not sure how the wear and tear on the hitch should look. Hope my attachment worked. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John
    Sand rust spots with fine sand paper, clean with paint thinner, spray with black Rustoleum paint. Any time you see bare metal shoot some Rustoleum on it. The scratches from front to back are from the pin box riding up on the hitch plate. I have had Pullrights for years and it looks normal to me. I also clean and paint my king pin, I hate rust.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently learned about Corroseal Rust Converter from an RV maintenance YouTube video. Is that useful for this kind of thing?
    Douglas & Christine
    2019 Ford F-250 XLT 6.2L V8 Fx4 Crew Cab short-bed
    2021 Imagine 2600RB, Build 5/2020
    Equal-i-zer 4-Point Sway Control™, 10000/1000 bars; Ford brake controller; LevelMatePRO+®
    Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure LT275/70R18 (E)
    Westlake Super ST Load Range E 10 p.r.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks All. Always Learning, if you can see in the attachment, there's a nick about 1/2 inch long and 1/8 inch deep. Should I be concerned with that and if so, any idea how to fill it?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Geotex1. Boeshield works okay with a lube plate installed? Would I spray boeshield on each time I hitch or does it put on a coating that lasts a while? Thanks again for the help.
    It's a moisture shedding, waxy product that just acts as corrosion protection. You would need to apply regularly. With each tow, a light wipe down and coat.

This kind of wear is totally normally and will regularly occur. It will require maintenance as provided to you. Eastwood also sells an excellent rust converter rattle can
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks All. Always Learning, if you can see in the attachment, there's a nick about 1/2 inch long and 1/8 inch deep. Should I be concerned with that and if so, any idea how to fill it?
    Not sure if you are talking about the circular marks or the ones running from front to back. No way to fill the gouges. If you have concerns I recommend you talk to Pullright and send them some photos. I have talked to Pullrite customer service in the past and they have been very helpful.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good grief The money folks will spend on nothing. Its a hitch plate after all. Next time you us it, it will clean up. If you want an easy fix, spray it with pledge after each use, or any paste wax you have.

Sorry to be blunt/sarcastic, but there are more important things in life. For a cover use a black garbage bag and bungee cord.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar