Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dometic fridge

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dometic fridge

Hi All, We just picked up our brand new 2970RL about a month ago and couldn't be happier. Love the camper, but now the fridge is
    making a humming sound. It doesn't seem to seem to go away. Maybe fan? Anyone else had this issue? And if you have can I
    fix it easily? It worked well the first few weekends but now is doing this..

Thanks, Steve

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the model of Dometic refrigerator you have, it will have at least one - and probably two - fans on the cooling fins on the back side. Some folks think they're noisy. I didn't mind them when we had an absorption refrigerator. If they're not squealing or sounding like a bearing has gone out, there's nothing to fix.

BTW - Welcome to the forum! You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Happy camping!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second Chance is correct. Mine does the same thing, but became very noisy and requires a new fan. Simple to replace. This fan will come on and off as required to cool off the unit. Some people have replaced these with "ultra quiet" fans found online and claim that they are much quieter than the original fans.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slothian View Post
    Hi All, We just picked up our brand new 2970RL about a month ago and couldn't be happier. Love the camper, but now the fridge is
    making a humming sound. It doesn't seem to seem to go away. Maybe fan? Anyone else had this issue? And if you have can I
    fix it easily? It worked well the first few weekends but now is doing this..

Thanks, Steve
    The first mod I made on our 2021 2970RL was to replace the OEM fan on the back of the fridge. The noise was very annoying. If we were sitting inside the trailer with nothing else on, all we heard was the fridge fan running! Being in Florida the fan runs non-stop. So quiet is important. I replaced the OEM with two fans. Our fridge has cooled great and no problems. I was outside the trailer yesterday and notice the fans are making a little more noise than they used to. I have two spare fans in my spare parts tub. They are $8 on Amazon so not a big investment when I need to swap them out with some new ones.

Changing the fan on a 2970RL is pretty easy. You have to go in through the top vent to do this. If you do buy new fans be sure you get a mm size that will fit in the shaft. I purchased a dual fan kit from a guy on ebay. The fans barely fit.

This is the kit I purchased off ebay
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/12360266156...8aAtsCEALw_wcB

These are the most recent ones I purchased off Amazon as back-ups in my spare parts bin.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016XWZ5SK...roduct_details
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. Ours is parked full time in a park. I'd gone over on a Weds. to mow the lawn, fan still humming. Friday get there, all is quiet for rest of the weekend, maybe the heat?? As long as it keeps quiet I'm a happy camper.

Thanks again, Steve

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Working right now.

Steve

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Dometic fridge in my Imagine and experienced the all too common temperature issues when it starts to warm up outside. I did a bunch of research and found the common theme was that for units that are mounted inside of a slide out, they suffer from poor air circulation/venting around the condensing coils and that many RV's do not have adequete insulation on the sides and above the fridge which just compound the issue. During my research, I came across an excellent video that covers this and how to improve the airflow (linked below). I followed suit and did the same baffle modification as in the video and could tell that the airflow out of the rear of the fridge was much improved. It did result in better stability in the inner fridge temps but didn't completely resolve it. So I went one step further and decided to install better fans and a programable controller so I could dictate when each fan turned on and off. I haven't installed the fans/controller yet as I just ordered everything last night but will post pics and info once I get it all dialed in.

Here are some pictures of the baffles I installed behind my fridge for reference. For the record, I did all of this from the upper vent with the fridge installed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5336.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	990.7 KB 
ID:	34977

Name:	IMG_5337.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	34978

Name:	IMG_5338.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	34979

Name:	IMG_5339.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	34980
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so I got my parts in and installed my fridge fan kit and controller yesterday. I ended up mounting the controller directly above the fridge. However it doesn't have a power switch and I wanted the ability to turn it on/off when I want. So I ordered a wall mount switch that matches the OEM switches in the trailer but doesn't get here until tomorrow. I had just enough room to fit 120mm fans in place of the single 92mm fan that came installed. The fans are extremely quiet....both of them on are much quieter than just the one that I replaced. I wanted to trim out the controller so that it looked like it came this way from the factory so I needed a piece of trim to do so. I opted to take the rear bottom shelf support out of the pantry and use a few inches of it to frame it out. I put the shelf support back in and you can't even tell....

I am messing around with the settings on each fan as I currently have them set as follows:

Fan #1 On=95/Off=92
    Fan #2 On=100/off=95

Considering the thermoswitch didn't turn on the original fan until it reach 135 and off at 105 and it ran constantly tells me it ran much hotter than it does now. With the settings above, the temperature stayed right around 100 behind the fridge. I am trying to reach out to Dometic to see if they have a recommended temperature that the fridge is at it's most efficient and then I will try to dial in the fan settings to see if I can keep it in that range. The controller can control up to 4 fans all with different settings. So if I decide I need more airflow, I can easily add 1 or 2 more fans as needed.

I haven't been out to test it out while camping yet but I can confirm that both the fridge and freezer get much cooler now. I have it set to 4 (coolest setting on this model) to see how cold it would get and I was pleasantly surprised to see that it got the fridge as-low-as 21 and the freezer was a frigid -12! Prior to the upgrade, it would only get to 30 in there fridge and 10 in the freezer.

I am pretty sure that the improved temps are a result of the improved airflow from the flashing I installed combined with the fan upgrade.....Will see how it performs over time but my initial thoughts are it was well worth the effort.

EDIT: I am having trouble getting some of my pictures to load so I will try again tomorrow...

Name:	IMG_5372 copy.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	35019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5371 copy.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	35020
    Last edited by Heavysledz; 06-19-2021 at 12:20 AM.
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    USMC Veteran

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I got there picture issue sorted out...here are some more pictures of the modification. I will post pictures of the on/off switch once I get that installed...

Coolerguys 120mm (120x120x25) Low Speed IP67 Dual Ball Bearing 12v Fan CG12025L12-IP67 × 2 https://www.coolerguys.com/collectio...g12025l12-ip67

Coolerguys Programmable Fan Thermostat Controller with Staggered Interval Settings https://www.coolerguys.com/collectio...i-fan-settings

3 Pin Fan Cable Extension 12 thru 72 inches × 2 https://www.coolerguys.com/collectio...nt=17666421893

Thermal probe extension cable 48 inch × 1 https://www.coolerguys.com/collectio...-cable-48-inch

Name:	IMG_5358.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	35042

I tied in the 12vdc supply at the input to the fridge controls.

Name:	IMG_5360.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	35038

Fridge and Freezer temps after upgrade (set to max cooling)

Name:	IMG_5365.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	35039 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5364.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	35040

This is where I "borrowed" the wood trim from...

Name:	IMG_5368.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	35041
    Last edited by Heavysledz; 06-19-2021 at 04:17 PM.
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    USMC Veteran

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast