User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum 395ms delivery delay

Hey all,

We just discovered that our new momentum is currently delayed awaiting the L shaped sofa. Our original ETA from the order date (2/28) was 6-8 weeks, putting us at May 1st for delivery. We added an extra 4-6 weeks cushion to that and made plans to accept a work contract August 1st, thinking we were giving an extra large cushion. Now they don't have any idea when the couch will be in. Could be tomorrow, but they've been expecting delivery for a few weeks already...

So, 2 questions for yall:
    1. Has anyone else run into this, and if so, how long was your delay?
    2. I am trying to arrange to have the rig shipped without the couch so we can at least set things up and get belongings transferred out of our house (that is already set to close at the end of June). Has anyone had any luck making this happen, and if so, any advice on getting it done?

Right now we're looking at renting an air B&B at our contact location for exorbitant cost until it is set, and I am not sure what we will do with our household goods in that situation.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated!

Cheers

Josh and Sue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Josh Ward
    2022 Momentum 395 MS-R, 8k axles
    2020 Ram 3500 4 door, DRW, 4wd, diesel, 4:10, Airlift bags, Reese 27k hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During my PDI, I noticed there was a couch missing in the RV, and the dealer agreed to let me take the rig first, and come back for the couch at a later date. It turned out they had taken the couch out of the rig and found it shortly after inside the dealership, but I’d think you may be able to arrange to have your rig shipped first without the couch and then come back for the rig later. Doesn’t hurt to ask.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alkbch View Post
    During my PDI, I noticed there was a couch missing in the RV, and the dealer agreed to let me take the rig first, and come back for the couch at a later date. It turned out they had taken the couch out of the rig and found it shortly after inside the dealership, but I’d think you may be able to arrange to have your rig shipped first without the couch and then come back for the rig later. Doesn’t hurt to ask.
    I doubt Grand Design will do this
    I could be wrong of course but highly unlikely
    The logistics and costs to ship out furniture when it doesn’t cost them anything to have it sit there will be a factor

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I doubt Grand Design will do this
    I could be wrong of course but highly unlikely
    The logistics and costs to ship out furniture when it doesn’t cost them anything to have it sit there will be a factor

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Assuming the dealer orders more GD trailers then GD could stick it in another TH and send it.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless your dealer is a MAJOR GD purchaser, chances are incredibly slim in the current climate. I know, hard to hear and I feel for your frustration...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the GM at the dealer said that they wouldn't do it... He of course reassured me that he was sure "it would be here any day" even though the GD inside sales rep said the shipment had been MIA for weeks. [emoji849] (Which is also frustrating because the GD people initially told us there were no delays on the RV when we first called to figure out why it wasn't done.)

We are setting a deadline for GD sending it out and then we will go ahead and rent an extra storage unit in Wilmington and a rental house at our destination. I'm just really frustrated that we are well out from what was supposed to be beyond the worst case scenario, and GD is not willing to help us out. This is going to cost us 1000s a month until it is settled, and we will have to travel back to get the RV and move into it when it's ready. This is not at all a great start to our interaction with the company. I really hope their customer service improves from this point.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Will see how it works out.

Josh Ward

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragod1345 View Post
    So the GM at the dealer said that they wouldn't do it...GD is not willing to help us out. This is not at all a great start to our interaction with the company. I really hope their customer service improves
    Ummm
    What exactly are you blaming Grand Design for?

I get your frustration but Covid and the state your country is in isn’t their fault

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Ummm
    What exactly are you blaming Grand Design for?

I get your frustration but Covid and the state your country is in isn’t their fault

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    Hmm... Shots fired? That was aggressive.

My complaint is not about the things they have no control over, or even that they overestimated their ability to deliver product, (which is not in any way unusual for businesses), but that they failed to communicate when there was a problem, and are not willing to work with us to resolve the issue when there seems to be a workable solution with historical precedence.

Admittedly, some of my annoyance with the local dealer is likely being displaced to GD as well... The sales guy there has been totally MIA since we went past the ETA on the rig, and has not been super honest or helpful since we signed paperwork, and it is difficult to get a consistent answer from any of them at the best of times.

I'm sorry if this comes across as a privileged rant from someone without real problems, But I’m frustrated and concerned because I had some very clear conversations with grand design and the local dealer about the fact that this was going to be the primary residence for my family, and we had to make time sensitive work and housing commitments based on the delivery of the RV. I was assured multiple times by both groups that "there is no way it will take that long", with the dealer going so far as to imply that our level of advanced planning was a bit over the top. Now, we are in a time crunch, and are committed to the purchase and our course of action, and I can't get any help from the same people who said this situation was laughable. I understand that this is an extraordinary circumstance, but I would hope that a company with a reputation like GD would be willing to go somewhat out of their way to help a customer, especially given the above circumstances.

Finally, if anyone is still reading, I'm perfectly aware about "covid and the state of our country". My wife and I both work in medicine, and we are getting the RV to work travel assignments. I work in the ER and am very well acquainted with what's been happening with the pandemic. Thank you for taking more than one complex problem and over simplifying it into a well-packaged generalization that all but screamed "you people" and everything that entails.

Josh Ward

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragod1345 View Post
    Hmm... Shots fired? That was aggressive.

My complaint is not about the things they have no control over, or even that they overestimated their ability to deliver product, (which is not in any way unusual for businesses), but that they failed to communicate when there was a problem, and are not willing to work with us to resolve the issue when there seems to be a workable solution with historical precedence.

Admittedly, some of my annoyance with the local dealer is likely being displaced to GD as well... The sales guy there has been totally MIA since we went past the ETA on the rig, and has not been super honest or helpful since we signed paperwork, and it is difficult to get a consistent answer from any of them at the best of times.

I'm sorry if this comes across as a privileged rant from someone without real problems, But I’m frustrated and concerned because I had some very clear conversations with grand design and the local dealer about the fact that this was going to be the primary residence for my family, and we had to make time sensitive work and housing commitments based on the delivery of the RV. I was assured multiple times by both groups that "there is no way it will take that long", with the dealer going so far as to imply that our level of advanced planning was a bit over the top. Now, we are in a time crunch, and are committed to the purchase and our course of action, and I can't get any help from the same people who said this situation was laughable. I understand that this is an extraordinary circumstance, but I would hope that a company with a reputation like GD would be willing to go somewhat out of their way to help a customer, especially given the above circumstances.

Finally, if anyone is still reading, I'm perfectly aware about "covid and the state of our country". My wife and I both work in medicine, and we are getting the RV to work travel assignments. I work in the ER and am very well acquainted with what's been happening with the pandemic. Thank you for taking more than one complex problem and over simplifying it into a well-packaged generalization that all but screamed "you people" and everything that entails.

Totally understand your frustration. Completely. I think, however, you're overlooking a very important fact that you are not buying from Grand Design. You are buying a Grand Design. All 9f the communication you desire is from your dealer. They are the customer to Grand Design, and you are their customer. The RV industry is not like the automobile industry. This is why you can spend a lifetime of complaints on the internet about warranty service with RVs. Only a tiny handful of makers in the towables are direct to customer, and that pricepoint is very different than mass produced. Additionally, it doesn't matter if camper or home or vehicle or machinery or *insert item here*, delivery is conditional upon availability of raw materials, subject to labor availability, subject to Force Majure, etc. That is why every agreement has this sort of disclaimer or simply highlights "estimated." Your Momentum is just one of thousands of orders, likely a few dozen before yours waiting as well. You're frustrated with Grand Design because you are being treated like every other buyer. Is this any different than new Ford truck orders plus the few thousand built trucks sitting at the speedway???

Grand Design does have a good history of customer service, but it cannot do everything for everyone. Especially with the surge in the popularity of their units entering numbers on par with the big brands. Fact of the matter, only your dealer has any power to negotiate anything beyond the norm with them, and if you're unhappy with communication put the blame where it belongs - your dealer. Ever order a vehicle from the factory? It's no different at all.

Sorry if you find this harsh, but it is the harsh reality. If missed estimated delivery has you on this edge, you truly might want to step back, clear thoughts, and really consider if RV lifestyle will fit you because there will be similar events and more during ownership that will blowup schedules and plans, require impromptu and creative repairs, and plenty long waits if you are unable to fix yourself. Just being serious with you.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Totally understand your frustration. Completely. I think, however, you're overlooking a very important fact that you are not buying from Grand Design. You are buying a Grand Design. All 9f the communication you desire is from your dealer. They are the customer to Grand Design, and you are their customer. The RV industry is not like the automobile industry. This is why you can spend a lifetime of complaints on the internet about warranty service with RVs. Only a tiny handful of makers in the towables are direct to customer, and that pricepoint is very different than mass produced. Additionally, it doesn't matter if camper or home or vehicle or machinery or *insert item here*, delivery is conditional upon availability of raw materials, subject to labor availability, subject to Force Majure, etc. That is why every agreement has this sort of disclaimer or simply highlights "estimated." Your Momentum is just one of thousands of orders, likely a few dozen before yours waiting as well. You're frustrated with Grand Design because you are being treated like every other buyer. Is this any different than new Ford truck orders plus the few thousand built trucks sitting at the speedway???

Grand Design does have a good history of customer service, but it cannot do everything for everyone. Especially with the surge in the popularity of their units entering numbers on par with the big brands. Fact of the matter, only your dealer has any power to negotiate anything beyond the norm with them, and if you're unhappy with communication put the blame where it belongs - your dealer. Ever order a vehicle from the factory? It's no different at all.

Sorry if you find this harsh, but it is the harsh reality. If missed estimated delivery has you on this edge, you truly might want to step back, clear thoughts, and really consider if RV lifestyle will fit you because there will be similar events and more during ownership that will blowup schedules and plans, require impromptu and creative repairs, and plenty long waits if you are unable to fix yourself. Just being serious with you.
    Point taken. I personally struggle with 3 elements of this situation: lack of control, lack of communication, lack of transparency. That's not assigning blame, just acknowledging my own sore spots. Part of doing this is to expand all of our horizons and comfort zones, and these are some of mine getting a workout nice and early.

I do think that better communication would have made most of this much more palatable. I also did (and do) admit to transference from poor experience with the dealer.
    Finally my response was a bit heated in general, where it should have been more directed at my annoyance with a silly and flippant comment. Apologies.

I still hold that GD (and any business providing goods/services) has a responsibility to engage with the consumer and make reasonable attempts to deal equitably with them. Is it applicable to my situation? I think so, but you bring up reasonable counter arguments. Is that position naive? Maybe, but it doesn't make me wrong. I don't feel like I'm asking them to do "everything" for me, which is really another source of frustration. I'm asking them to deliver the completed RV as agreed minus the couch, which they can deliver later, at their convenience. I don't feel like that's asking too much. Hell, it's probably cheaper to take it without the couch and buy my own, than to arrange last minute housing...

Anyways. There isn't much to do about it based on the dealer's and your collective responses, so we move on! Thanks for your answers.

Josh Ward

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast