User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might help those new to towing understand just a little better off what they are doing.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVneautral View Post
    thank you. That is so very helpful. I think ill look for a 1 ton. do you really think a dually is necessary? a 1 ton diesel has a payload of 4480 # that should work shouldnt it. Id prefer not to have a dually.
    Ford mis-labeled 1 ton diesel trucks, which showed the number that you are talking about. There is a recall out to correctly label them, and that is now around 4,100 lbs for the least optioned ones.

I have been researching trucks this year, and from what actual numbers I have looked at, for the mid to lower optioned trucks, in the 1 ton SRW SB, without getting one with no options, you would be looking at around 3,700 lbs. My RAM 3500 SRW SB, has a 3,750 payload. If you go to the long bed, a mid to lower optioned SRW will be 4,200 lbs or less. You have to be cautious, as these trucks come with different weight options, which can lower numbers.

I am pulling a 320G toy hauler at 14,600 lbs, all my numbers (CAT scale) are under the max (pin/gvwr/mcgvwr/rawr) for my truck, and I have no problem running the trailer at 15K, or a little above, but if I ever start going over 15,500 - 16,000 lbs, I will replace my truck with a dually. My trailer has the factory upgraded axles, and with that, has a 18K gvwr.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for the leads. It’s becoming more clear and unfortunately I think I’d be right near the max for my Yukon Denali if I try to pull the floor plan that we liked. I still find it hard to understand how you accurately measure the hitch weight. I see hitch weights listed for all TTS but are they just % calculations based on the trailers GVWR or are they a number you should not exceed? Does utilizing a WD set up give you a little more hitch weight grace and therefore pull capability or am I still limited by my tow vehicle’s GCWR? Thanks again

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You picked a giant toy hauler but don’t want a dually??? This seems like a fake thread. You would be best to do some research before you decide on what you don’t want. You purchased a toy hauler and they have serious payload which in turn requires the tv to have a lot of payload. You are easily and I mean easily going to push the 4000 pound range once the trailer is loaded up. And you still have to account for the hitch and the cargo in your truck including passengers. Plus you want stability. It’s a dually you seek.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH (150)
    2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Godzilla SRW
    B&W Companion Ford OEM 20k with Turning Point

2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 gas (SOLD)
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 21BHE (SOLD)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjhasbach View Post
    Thank you so much for the leads. It’s becoming more clear and unfortunately I think I’d be right near the max for my Yukon Denali if I try to pull the floor plan that we liked. I still find it hard to understand how you accurately measure the hitch weight. I see hitch weights listed for all TTS but are they just % calculations based on the trailers GVWR or are they a number you should not exceed? Does utilizing a WD set up give you a little more hitch weight grace and therefore pull capability or am I still limited by my tow vehicle’s GCWR? Thanks again
    I think this is 2 threads here. You accurately measure hitch weight by driving to a scale and weighing it all. It’s all a guess when you buy. But you need to be within some parameters. The wd actually takes away from the payload of your vehicle because they tend to weigh a lot. They do not change any numbers as they simply distribute the weight to the front axle so that the tow vehicle handles better. Hitch weights that you see listed are empty. Nothing on the trailer. GD tends to be accurate but those numbers don’t mean much for selection purposes. Take 12-14% of the gvwr and add 200 pounds and you’ll get a hitch weight estimate. Also keep in mind that hitch weight changes when you take it out based on how it’s loaded. General rule. 6000 max for 1/2 tons. Your truck is a little less than a pickup truck. 3/4 tons can go much higher. They are good into the 11000 gvwr range. Some even higher. I am not a fan of towing with anything less than a 3/4 ton with most of these trailers. They get heavy very fast. 6000lbs is damn heavy for a giant monolith speeding behind you.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH (150)
    2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Godzilla SRW
    B&W Companion Ford OEM 20k with Turning Point

2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 gas (SOLD)
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 21BHE (SOLD)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVneautral View Post
    i have a 2003 2500 Chevy Duramax. sticker on door is gone. online says towing capacity is 12000
    my manual book says max trailer weight is 15,400, GCWR = 22,000 lb
    my new GD momentum tow hauler UVW is 13600. ( i guess this is actual weight? i dont know)
    this is so confusing to me. I hate to admit my ignorance but i dont get it and i dont know if my 2500 can tow this 5th wheel
    Your Owners Manual should have a table that discusses towing - make sure that you are looking at the 5th wheel section. However, from experience with a 2003 2500 HD gas ( 6.0 L), it WILL NOT tow your new trailer. You will need to go to a dually ( 3500 Chevy/GMC/ Ram or F350 ) in order to pull that trailer, especially once you load it and the truck with fun stuff, food and people.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thought that people don’t seem to focus on is even if max payload might cover the tow, why would anyone want to run that close to being maxed out? 70% of max is a good place to safely tow without breaking your truck or being in danger when an emergency situation happens in front of you. Any of these larger fivers should be towed with a DRW truck. Many would rather take the chance and brag that they can do it but reality is you can never have too much truck to safely tow your fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried your local dealership? They can tell you all about you vehicle from the VIN.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomsBro View Post
    Another thought that people don’t seem to focus on is even if max payload might cover the tow, why would anyone want to run that close to being maxed out? 70% of max is a good place to safely tow without breaking your truck or being in danger when an emergency situation happens in front of you. Any of these larger fivers should be towed with a DRW truck. Many would rather take the chance and brag that they can do it but reality is you can never have too much truck to safely tow your fifth wheel.
    I'm sorry, I just don't buy what you are saying, please provide some proof that trucks that are at there max weight will break. That there is no safety factor in them, that every component on them are not designed to work at max (lawyers, and NHTSA would eat them up if that was true).

I agree, there is never too much truck, but it doesn't make smaller ones unsafe if they are within the manufacturers numbers.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 06-16-2021 at 04:00 PM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast