User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Retirement

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Congratulations, it's a major step in life. It's a little scary too. When I retired I worked diligently on the sticks and bricks projects that I had put off for years. About 3 months into it I realized I was highly stressed, anxious, not sleeping well. I fretted about it for a few days, then realized that it's the first time since I was 8 years old that I had not worked. A few times in my life I was between work, and bad things loomed on the horizon. But then I went back to work and all was fine. But the thought of never going to work again scared the crap out of me.

Welcome to the life of a retiree....
    I could have retired last year but I actually enjoyed what I was doing (Covid notwithstanding). Then the good folks moved on and the replacements are not fun to work with. I've put off the RV because I mucked up my hip getting out of a shower and am now essentially off-roll but can't do much physically at home which is very frustrating. I often wondered if I would feel lost with no job - been working for 55 years. I don't like getting up with nothing to do now - worse with physical limitations. So, I've lined up a 3-5 hour per week replacement when I formally retire maybe August after the hip issues are hopefully resolved. It's shared with another person so the ability to take a month off and travel will be there. Even so, I think this is one of the most difficult transitions I've ever experienced. Both of us will be 'retired' in August. Hope yours is easier 17George!
    Last edited by ajg617; 06-12-2021 at 12:01 PM.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S!!!!! Stay active.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats!
    I retired 3 times in the last 20 years, the last time 3 years ago, but still doing a little piece work now and then.

My older brother gave some advice:
    Have a plan.
    And RELAX, and follow the plan.
    It's working out actually a little better than expected.
    We are coming up on our 1st camping anniversary in July, But as all plans go camping was not into but we sold the boat and got started in camping.

We like it better more "Relaxing"
    Dana & Janet H.
    New Orleans, La.
    Imagine 2450RL (MY2020)
    2018 GMC 1500 Sierra, SLT Z71 4X4

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! I hope to retire for the first time in about 10 years.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, I hope you enjoy it. My wife is retiring in August and I'm going to try and stick it out for another two and a half years. Can't wait.
    2021 Reflection 303rls
    2021 Silverado 2500hd 4x4 z71 cc duramax
    B&W Companion

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don648 View Post
    Congratulations, I hope you enjoy it. My wife is retiring in August and I'm going to try and stick it out for another two and a half years. Can't wait.
    I was in the same situation. My wife retired at the end of Oct. 2017, and I retired at the end of April 2020.....so about 2 1/2 years separated our retirements. That 2 1/2 years while she was retired and I got up at 3:30AM to start getting ready for work....Sucked! As a person that hates wintertime, the colder months were especially hard to walk out the door and head off to work....while she was comfy/cozy in a nice warm bed! But we made it and are now on year two of both of us being retired. Last year was kind of tough, as I retired right at the start of the Pandemic and we both felt like we needed to lay low and minimize our exposure risk for Covid. Now, fully vaccinated, we are ready for adventures and some travelling....starting with a trip out west to visit some of the National Parks in AZ and UT this year. Hang in there Don....it will be so worth it when you both are retired and ready for your retirement phase. Good Luck and stay safe.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the encouragement xrated.
    2021 Reflection 303rls
    2021 Silverado 2500hd 4x4 z71 cc duramax
    B&W Companion

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on retirement. I've been doing it for 7 years now and it's fantastic. (actually, I have a couple of part time jobs that are way cool, but they're very part time)

One piece of advice that my dad and a few of his friends gave me that I took to heart - spend your money early. Of course, make sure you'll be ok with medical, housing, food, etc. expenses, but don't save up a ton of money to use on fun stuff later. Later might not come, and you might very well get into situations where you can't do what you've planned.

My dad and his 2 friends all in their 80's had great retirement income and substantial savings, but none of them could go enjoy it because of medical problems or restrictions. So they bought expensive cars and drove them 3 miles per day to coffee - which was about all they could do.

So go enjoy things as soon as you can!
    signature

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add my congratulations too. Been retired since 2013.

Around 2016 or so got a strong case of second guessing the retirement decision. Even today, I wished I’d stayed a few years longer.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    Congratulations on retirement. I've been doing it for 7 years now and it's fantastic. (actually, I have a couple of part time jobs that are way cool, but they're very part time)

One piece of advice that my dad and a few of his friends gave me that I took to heart - spend your money early. Of course, make sure you'll be ok with medical, housing, food, etc. expenses, but don't save up a ton of money to use on fun stuff later. Later might not come, and you might very well get into situations where you can't do what you've planned.

My dad and his 2 friends all in their 80's had great retirement income and substantial savings, but none of them could go enjoy it because of medical problems or restrictions. So they bought expensive cars and drove them 3 miles per day to coffee - which was about all they could do.

So go enjoy things as soon as you can!
    I AGREE, I have seen many people not able to do something later because of health issues. We are somewhere in the middle, just do what we need to financially enable us to do what we want. In another 1 and a half ish, we won't have to work a little here and there to do, so just keep on keeping on and congrats again to all those that have retired and are going to retire. I did it at age 50, in part do to an awesome severance package and downturn in the economy, so i did it and don't regret it at all. Good Luck to all and keep on keeping on.
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast