Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Changing faucet

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changing faucet

I wanted to change the cheap plastic faucet in my 2021 Reflection with a residential metal one. Water lines came off by hand, the nuts that hold the faucet on must have red loctite on them!!! I have put a wrench on them and I can not get them loose! I have changed many faucets out in my day, but this is rediculous! I have turned with so much force that it sounds like the faucet is cracking and they still will not come loose! Anyone have any ideas to get them loose? I would cut them with a die grinder but they are in a recessed hole and I cant get to them to cut the rings loose! I am afraid I will either break the faucet, (if I have not already) or crack the cheap thin plastic sink!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on faucet change. I ended up having to remove the sink to get nuts off! As I suspected GD glued the nuts to the sink!!! I broke all the ears off in the attempt to remove then cut them off with a oscillating saw, then had to chisel the pieces off!! Don't have a clue why GD would glue them on? Before anyone says it was just a sealant, it was not, it was an adhesive! It was so hard, I chiseled at the remains, then tried sanding, but could not remove so I just put some silicon on it and installed the new faucet!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PTParker View Post
    Update on faucet change. I ended up having to remove the sink to get nuts off! As I suspected GD glued the nuts to the sink!!! I broke all the ears off in the attempt to remove then cut them off with a oscillating saw, then had to chisel the pieces off!! Don't have a clue why GD would glue them on? Before anyone says it was just a sealant, it was not, it was an adhesive! It was so hard, I chiseled at the remains, then tried sanding, but could not remove so I just put some silicon on it and installed the new faucet!
    I could see the steam coming out your ears as you typed that. A basin wrench is all that should be needed to install or remove a faucet in your RV or at home. FWIW if I found that, and there is no excuse for it, I'd be sending a carefully worded memorandum to GD management.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I could see the steam coming out your ears as you typed that. A basin wrench is all that should be needed to install or remove a faucet in your RV or at home. FWIW if I found that, and there is no excuse for it, I'd be sending a carefully worded memorandum to GD management.
    I considered it! I tried basin wrench first, then bought a special tool that would grab all 4 ears on the nut and ended up breaking all 4 ears off! I can't imagine what they were thinking gluing the nuts on! Should have been a 15 min job, turned into almost all day because I made 2 trips to town!

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like reading that, being we have a vintage GD it may not be to long b4 the faucet needs replacing
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I don't like reading that, being we have a vintage GD it may not be to long b4 the faucet needs replacing
    I just changed mine because the one that came on it was so flimsy I was afraid I was going to break it every time I turned it on and off! The one in my last trailer cracked on the inside and started leaking all in the cabinet and on the floor, so I was just trying to prevent another one of those! Maybe that was something they started doing lately and yours won't be glued? This would have been much easier than my last one if it had not been for that! Probably took all of 15 minutes. Just take loose lines and nuts and change. On my last one it was connected direct with no fitting so I had to do some plumbing.