User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to towing with questions

Also new to towing. I have a Yukon Denali with listed towing capacity of 8100. I’m looking to buy a TT with my preferred floor plans in the 28’x30’ range with gross weights under 8000. Am I thinking correctly? Secondly, the two floor plans that I like, the Transcend 240ML and the Imagine 2610ML, almost identical with the exception of second entry door and some variations in tank capacity, could anyone help me make this distinction, I’m assuming giving the price differential the material quality of build in the Imagine is better. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I moved your post to a thread of its own. You have a different situation and it's better to start your own new thread than to tag on to another thread that's only partly related.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might help those new to towing understand just a little better of what they are doing.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjhasbach View Post
    Also new to towing. I have a Yukon Denali with listed towing capacity of 8100. I’m looking to buy a TT with my preferred floor plans in the 28’x30’ range with gross weights under 8000. Am I thinking correctly? Secondly, the two floor plans that I like, the Transcend 240ML and the Imagine 2610ML, almost identical with the exception of second entry door and some variations in tank capacity, could anyone help me make this distinction, I’m assuming giving the price differential the material quality of build in the Imagine is better. Any advice would be appreciated.
    No. You are not really thinking correctly. You need to look at the yellow sticker on you door jamb that provides the payload number. You are likely not very high with a Yukon. They do not make for a very good tow vehicle. 8000 pounds is much more than any Yukon can handle. You are probably going to be in the 5000-6000 range. Your tongue weight on either of those trailers is going to be heavier than you think. Use 12% of the trailers GVWR and add 80lb for propane 60lb for a battery and 200lb for your hitch. That doesn’t include any people or gear in your truck.
    These campers get heavy quickly.
    As far as the difference. The Imagine is a nicer series IMHO. They are both built well but the Imagines are more refined. The transcend are the older style built with tin outsides. I prefer the look of the newer glassed outsides. You have to go see them to make up your own mind.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH (150)
    2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Godzilla SRW
    B&W Companion Ford OEM 20k with Turning Point

2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 gas (SOLD)
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 21BHE (SOLD)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Ardvark16. Stick with the 5-6k GVWR range. The Yukon isn't the best platform for towing a larger TT. Seriously, most 1/2 Ton Pick-ups are not set up to Tow that kind of weight.
    Jim & Bernice
    So.Cal
    2021 Imagine 2970RL w/Ground Control TT
    2014 Ram 1500 Laramie w/Timbrens Bags (Soon to be upgraded)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim R111 View Post
    I agree with Ardvark16. Stick with the 5-6k GVWR range. The Yukon isn't the best platform for towing a larger TT. Seriously, most 1/2 Ton Pick-ups are not set up to Tow that kind of weight.
    Thanks, I think I’ve recalibrated and am looking now at a unit with a GVWR of 6400, And I don’t think I’ll come close to fully loading this camper with its reported allowable cargo. Thank again for the taking the time to respond.
    Tom

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim, really an eye opener,! How to they get away with publishing those kind of numbers for towing capacity ?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim, really an eye opener,! How to they get away with publishing those kind of numbers for towing capacity ?
    Because it is for boats
    Notice all the advertisements for trucks they are towing a boat or construction equipment

There is not as much frontal area which requires higher tongue weight

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well they will advertise a fully equipped truck, but they will mix and match to make it sound better. They will tout the Great mileage from their smaller engines along with high capacity payloads from the big engines/axle ratio etc.
    Last edited by Jim R111; 06-23-2021 at 03:54 PM.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way they get away with it is very simple. They advertise "towing capacity"...Period. None of the manufacturers will be specific and say a travel trailer, a 5th wheel camping trailer, a horse trailer, a flatbed utility trailer.....they simply say TRAILER. That is like saying..."I own a vehicle!" That is a wide open statement...is it a car...a truck, a van, an SUV...or a ?????
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast