Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tri-fold Sofa Repair Help Needed

Hello, I need some ideas on how to repair the tri-fold sofa in my 2019 2800bh. One of the front panels on the arm is pulling away from the couch. I can see that it was originally held in place with a 'tack strip' that goes right down the center of the panel, but my fear is that if I try to hammer it back in, I will damage the fabric on the outside. I could pull the panel completely off, trim all of the pointy tacks and try to double side tape it back on.
    Does anyone know the best way I can reattach it without damaging it?

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210522_114839.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	34923
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upholsters simply use a hammer with a hard rubber head to set tack strips. You can use a rubber mallet.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Upholsters simply use a hammer with a hard rubber head to set tack strips. You can use a rubber mallet.
    In this case, I doubt that would work because the inside pressure from the nails could damage the upholstery.

I would recommend removing the part and snipping the nails and using VHB tape to reattach the piece.

PS: Before you do anything, check to see if your furniture is still under warranty. It could have a separate warranty from Thomas Payne (or whoever supplied the couch).
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    In this case, I doubt that would work because the inside pressure from the nails could damage the upholstery.

I would recommend removing the part and snipping the nails and using VHB tape to reattach the piece.

PS: Before you do anything, check to see if your furniture is still under warranty. It could have a separate warranty from Thomas Payne (or whoever supplied the couch).
    Huh? Upholster's tack strip is not made of individual tacks like carpet tacklers. It's punched, pliable metal where the sharps are punched out, which is how it can be used in this manner without damaging the material.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania