User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection 367 SLOW Kitchen Grey Tank Drain

Hello-

We have a 2021 Reflection 367BHS and have been having issues since new with our kitchen grey tank draining VERY slowly and am looking for suggestions on what this issue may be and how to solve it.

For reference, our rig has 2 grey tanks - the front tank (controlled by the handle on the Nautilus panel) is for the bathroom and laundry, and works just fine - when I pull the lever the tank drains quickly and efficiently, and the tank always reads empty once drained. The kitchen grey tank is controlled by a second handle just forward of the trailer wheels.

When I pull the handle for the kitchen grey, a small amount of water rushes out, but then quickly slows to a trickle. I dropped a portion of the underbelly to investigate, and from what I can see & feel, the tank valve is operating correctly so I don't think that is the issue.

I think the problem may be related to tank venting - when draining the tank, if I pick up and "burp" the sewer hose, it allows a gush of additional water to drain from the tank, but then it slows down again. This makes me think not enough (or no) air is getting into the tank when draining.

I had a look on the roof and it appears there are only two vent stacks on the roof. Is this correct? I would think I should have three in total (one for black, two for greys)? I tried removing the air admittance valve under the kitchen sink to see if that would help, but it did not.

Any other suggestions are appreciated - thank you!
    2020 Ford F-350 XLT DRW Long Box w/ 6.7 Diesel & 3.55 Gear Ratio
    B&W Turnoverball Goose Ball Hitch
    2021 Reflection 367BHS w/ Reese Goose Box 20k

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the air admittance valve under the sink next time you have to drain. You can unthread and remove it and try to dump. If flow is good, the valve is sticking and you can get a higher quality replacement from the local orange or blue building supply stores. If nothing changes, you may have a partial obstruction by something in the tank or pipe left from construction, which isn't too uncommon.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. Does it drain faster after it drains 1/2 to 2/3 of the water? If so it could be that the vent pipe extends too far into the tank. I had this happen on my black tank in our 2015 Reflection 323BHS, but I thought they fixed that manufacturing flaw a while ago. It was easy enough to fix - the pipe just goes through a big grommet into the tank, so I pulled it out and cut a bit off so that it only extended 3" or so into the tank.
    With a 2021, I suspect it's still under warranty. If I had the opportunity to let someone else fix my grey/black tank for no cost, I would unashamedly do so
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the prompt replies! So far I have tried:

- Removing the air admittance valve under the sink, but that did not seem to help.
    - Ran a tank flush with an aftermarket Rhino Blaster attachment. Filled it right up to the point that the kitchen sink filled up, then drained it. Flowed great for the first bit, then slowed right down to a trickle, then stopped completely. It definitely did not drain fully. Tank gauge still reads 2/3 full.

I will reach out to the dealer/GD regarding possible warranty service on this. If anyone has any other easy DIY suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here’s what I found with my kitchen grey tank. After using a tank blaster (grease and food blockage?) and a borescope (not rigid enough), I decided to go in 100%. First thing I did was remove the curtain in the pass through to inspect things; all good, dry, tight fittings. Next was to drop the belly pan. Not a job for the faint of heart. The screws came out ok, but the propane fittings were not easy. Dissimilar metals = corrosion. I broke half of them. Ugh.
    After identifying the kitchen grey tank, I checked the actuation of the blade valve; no problems. So I figured that I would have to disassemble the valve itself. Not easy; I had to cut the 1-1/2” ABS in order to get it apart. What I found was a dried blob of yellow ABS glue that had dislodged from inside the tank and was blocking the valve. As you can see, that’s why I was only getting a trickle when I drained the gray tank. In order to get the ABS pipe back together again, I had to cut off an extra inch, and then slide in a silicone adapter.
    Could an RV dealer have discovered this? Maybe with a better scope. Would backflushing have solved the problem? Sure, temporarily.
    I will say this; I’m in no hurry to drop that belly pan again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	834E397B-8905-4D12-9692-0D080C0F8EC1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	936.4 KB 
ID:	45874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58E1A8AF-6BC2-4881-B327-A57D0AC8C754.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	45876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B7FF2E1D-B98B-447F-99A4-4039E165301D.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	45877
    Last edited by aljewett; 04-17-2023 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Added pics
    2020 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply @aljewett - looks like a fun job! It amazes me the various problems that building these rigs too fast with little care creates.

I did end up having a tech come out to look under warranty who told me everything was working as it should... But after repeated issues I eventually took the problem upon myself to fix. I opened the underbelly (opted to cut an opening in the coroplast instead of dropping the whole thing) and discovered the 1 1/2" ABS drain pipe from the valve on that tank to the the main 3" outlet was actually backsloped massively. When the installer attached the main 3" outlet support to the frame (with the simple sheet metal strap) they used a strap that was too short, which in turn lifted all the pipes and made the backslope even worse.

Additionally, having this backslope for an extended period had allowed greasy sediment and food waste to collect in the bottom of the tank and had created a dam of sorts at the gate valve. In the end, I had to cut away the pipe, dismantle the gate valve, scrape out as much goo and waste as possible by hand, and then shoot a powerful jet spray of water in the tank with a garden hose to rinse it before reassembling the entire thing and reconnecting the 1 1/2" ABS pipe with a Fernco style rubber fitting as @aljewett did above, after shortening the pipe drop near the tank to create as much positive slope as possible.

Everything now works perfectly, but it was a disgusting, messy job I have no interest in ever doing again!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see this was an old thread with a recent update, but very interesting. I've always been amazed at the variety of issues the assemblers of these RV's can create. Of course, they don't care. One of the old trailers ('92) I refurbished about 10 years ago had little to no insulation between the studs. This was when they still used batt insulation and aluminum exterior. That thing got hot in the summer! They also ran Romex between the studs and paneling. This is why I try to do my own PDI when getting a new (new or used) RV. But some things you just won't find until you are forced to tear it apart due to a problem.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes. Sounds like you had a bit more to deal with. When I reattached the belly panel (Coroplast?) it didn’t return to its original, snug position. I think I’ll get back underneath and figure out a way to reattach it and get a nice, mouse proof belly.
    2020 303RLS