User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been to Elkhart, IN a couple of times this past month or two. There are literally fields of thousands of RV’s from every manufacturer sitting in them. There seems to be plenty of workers. The problem is not being able to get the necessary components i.e. air conditioners, generators, etc. to be able to finish them and ship them to the dealers for sale. A lot of the dealers have gone out of business because of the inability to get product. I fear this pandemic is going to leave a lot of lasting changes��
    Allen and Sandi-Lexington, KY
    Home of fast horses and beautiful women!
    2015 Chevrolet Duramax 4 x 4 3500 HD LTZ
    2014 Solitude 369 RL-Oct. 2014
    2016 Momentum 376 TH-April 2016

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
    We have been to Elkhart, IN a couple of times this past month or two. There are literally fields of thousands of RV’s from every manufacturer sitting in them. There seems to be plenty of workers. The problem is not being able to get the necessary components i.e. air conditioners, generators, etc. to be able to finish them and ship them to the dealers for sale. A lot of the dealers have gone out of business because of the inability to get product. I fear this pandemic is going to leave a lot of lasting changes��
    Pretty much all of the major RV makers have suffered labor shortage due to COVID-19 running through their facilities, and while there's enough workers to run the lines there aren't enough in reserve. It's a really interesting dependency, and not unlike my mines and product lines in Wyoming... We have a bit more redundancy as we run 3 shifts, but the turndown to sanitize after an incident is tough, particularly because we can run all lines at 10% overcapacity and still not deliver product on-time! Fortunately, we are one of the few that are vertically integrated through most of our production and less affected by supply chain but are very challenged with labor and transport. It's far worse in my production around the world than the US.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
    Allen & Sandi - good to hear from you.......hope you are doing well.

What you share is what Steve @huntr70 has shared a few times over the months. In my communications with GDRV folks, while there was some period where many team members were away due to virus restrictions, they generally have had most all team members for several months now. However, even down a small % of the team for an extended time has created challenges for the balance. I have not had any communications recently and possibly our "free" tax $ money of the last several months and going forward is keeping some folks away.

Trust you are going to the Rally.......have a wonderful time ! Keep us posted as you learn more.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Demand and no supply

Something needs to happen to correct all supply chains for products that contain technology or technologies that are taking materials from other necessary products. I am the purchasing manager for a city and we have our own municipal utility. Lead times on our electric transformers for residential and commercial services has grown to about 32 weeks. Understandable with everything (factory workers, steel supplies, increased construction/development, etc . . . ) that is going on. However, the next torpedo that will be headed our way is the supply of silicon iron (aka Silicon Core Iron) that is the core of these transformers. Guess what else uses silicon iron . . . electric vehicles! So as the production of EVs increases the supply of silicon iron will decrease.

Something has to give, and it will when it comes to products, new and old, competing for the same resources. It will be interesting to see which products will 'win' in capturing the resources they need to continue the production of their products. Do you want more EV's or uninterrupted power to your house, business, or your RV site? Install your solar now. Supply and demand is a basic concept of economics. I don't remember learning about demand and no supply in Economics 101. My motto right now is hang on to what I have and buy it when I find it; if I need it.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    Something needs to happen to correct all supply chains for products that contain technology or technologies that are taking materials from other necessary products. I am the purchasing manager for a city and we have our own municipal utility. Lead times on our electric transformers for residential and commercial services has grown to about 32 weeks. Understandable with everything (factory workers, steel supplies, increased construction/development, etc . . . ) that is going on. However, the next torpedo that will be headed our way is the supply of silicon iron (aka Silicon Core Iron) that is the core of these transformers. Guess what else uses silicon iron . . . electric vehicles! So as the production of EVs increases the supply of silicon iron will decrease.

Something has to give, and it will when it comes to products, new and old, competing for the same resources. It will be interesting to see which products will 'win' in capturing the resources they need to continue the production of their products. Do you want more EV's or uninterrupted power to your house, business, or your RV site? Install your solar now. Supply and demand is a basic concept of economics. I don't remember learning about demand and no supply in Economics 101. My motto right now is hang on to what I have and buy it when I find it; if I need it.
    Case in point yesterday.
    A friend has fallen in love with my Blackstone Griddle.
    Since he can't have mine I went with him to get one, he wants a certain model with a certain stand.
    5 Walmarts, several Sams, Home Depot, Lowes and a couple of Ace hardware we gave up.
    He called their HQ in Utah and was told that their production has dropped to an all time low due to lack of materials.
    They are not sure when full production will return. As noted by OurNewEra another screwed up supply chain.
    As someone said "you can shut things down a heck of a lot quicker than you can restart".
    The interesting thing to me about Blackstone is the materials are very basic.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My refrigerator went up to 48 in the camper last night. First day of a 4 day trip. Oh no! My greatest fear was trying to get service from my dealer or even finding a mobile tech. Last year I needed work done on a home appliance. They are out 2-4 weeks. Fortunately, because of this site and information on other sites, I was able to troubleshoot it and got it back to proper temp. I’m not a handyman, but in today’s environment you better learn how to fend for yourself.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Case in point yesterday.
    A friend has fallen in love with my Blackstone Griddle.
    Since he can't have mine I went with him to get one, he wants a certain model with a certain stand.
    5 Walmarts, several Sams, Home Depot, Lowes and a couple of Ace hardware we gave up.
    He called their HQ in Utah and was told that their production has dropped to an all time low due to lack of materials.
    They are not sure when full production will return. As noted by OurNewEra another screwed up supply chain.
    As someone said "you can shut things down a heck of a lot quicker than you can restart".
    The interesting thing to me about Blackstone is the materials are very basic.
    Bob A.
    Yep. Luckily I ran out last Sunday and picked up my 4 burner Blackstone at our local Walmart. One of 4 in the store with no others in our area at other retailers.

It is going to take some time for everything to 'normalize'. Whatever that new normal will turn out to be.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm seeing people out for excess unemployment but also because they've figured out how to either live and not require two incomes (2 income family) OR have found employment in another field. I don't think there has been enough research done on that side of this pandemic. Vacation options have similarly changed. Rental rates on houses at popular vacation sites have doubled, even tripled in some locations because they are seeing less and less people going there. People don't want to spend that kind of money for a one week shot somewhere but are finding better opportunities in camping (I know we did). People who were working in hospitality services, for low wages, are finding jobs elsewhere for either the same money (but now with benefits) or more money. Yes, there are those still staying home and getting the stimulus funds, but they are saving instead of spending. Habits change in what...21 days? Many have had months on end to develop their new normal. Even with the mask mandates dropping off, the daily world as we knew it has changed. Like may have said, we all better get better at taking care of what we own on our own and finding ways to not have to rely on someone else to provide a meal or a vacation spot.
    Great topic. Good minds putting what they are seeing out there.
    Sarah & Michelle
    Ronan our Berner baby
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraC71 View Post
    People who were working in hospitality services, for low wages, are finding jobs elsewhere for either the same money (but now with benefits) or more money.
    Here in our small town of ~7,000 people, the higher end restaurants are now offering not only signing bonuses, but health, dental and IRA contributions for wait staff. And they still can't get enough employees to stay open 7 days/week. We know the owner of one of the nicer (if not the nicest) restaurants in town. People are signing on at his restaurant, waiting the 30 days to get their $1000 signing bonus, then quitting right after. His restaurant has gone to take out only Mon-Wed. He's not sure how much longer he can keep his place open. Sad state of affairs after being in business for 25+ years and offering an excellent dining experience.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Here in our small town of ~7,000 people, the higher end restaurants are now offering not only signing bonuses, but health, dental and IRA contributions for wait staff. And they still can't get enough employees to stay open 7 days/week. We know the owner of one of the nicer (if not the nicest) restaurants in town. People are signing on at his restaurant, waiting the 30 days to get their $1000 signing bonus, then quitting right after. His restaurant has gone to take out only Mon-Wed. He's not sure how much longer he can keep his place open. Sad state of affairs after being in business for 25+ years and offering an excellent dining experience.
    What this means to the dining public is higher bills at our favorite restaurants.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast