User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavysledz View Post
    First let me preface my next comments with the fact that I whole heartedly believe you get what you pay for with regards to salaries and quality of workers.

However, history has proven that raising the minimum wage only results in a short term relief for those impacted (i.e. those making entry level wages) but is short lived because it in turn results in inflation and increased costs to the consumers. Businesses operate on projected profit margins and in order to hit their targets, they raise the cost of their products to offset increased materials and overhead costs (i.e. labor costs). So all it will end up doing is making everything cost more.

Example: If McDonalds were to increase their minimum wage for their employees, all it will end up doing is costing the consumer more to purchase their Happy Meal....McDonalds isn't going to absorb the cost of the pay increases but will instead spread that cost across their menu pricing to make up for it....again, all based on a strategic profit margin vs expenditures goal that they will make sure they achieve.
    Many can’t understand this concept
    They think money grows on trees

They want people to make a “living wage” of 15 hour without skills so what do they do with the people with skills making 15 an hour?
    Leave them at 15?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pay them more. Your choices are based on supply and demand. Not enough skilled labor to meet the demand for your product? Ever thought about paying them a living wage?

Also, there are a lot of women who cannot afford to go back to work, since they have children at home with no school or daycare. Most women would make less than their childcare costs if they have to pay for full-time daycare. We're talking 47% of the workforce. People have been working 2-3 full-time jobs just to pay rent...
    John Wood and Pat Shackelford
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    2016 F250 KR FX4
    Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 3000QB
    2 Australian Shepherds and looking forward to retirement...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Many can’t understand this concept
    They think money grows on trees

They want people to make a “living wage” of 15 hour without skills so what do they do with the people with skills making 15 an hour?
    Leave them at 15?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    I couldn't agree more.....it impacts everyone...not just those in that demographic or labor pool...
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWood View Post
    Pay them more. Your choices are based on supply and demand. Not enough skilled labor to meet the demand for your product? Ever thought about paying them a living wage?

Also, there are a lot of women who cannot afford to go back to work, since they have children at home with no school or daycare. Most women would make less than their childcare costs if they have to pay for full-time daycare. We're talking 47% of the workforce. People have been working 2-3 full-time jobs just to pay rent...
    You pay them more now and then the cost of the products increase as a result....also as stated above, what happens to those that have been making what they want to raise the minimum wage too (or less), do they also get raises so that they don't feel like they aren't worth any more than a new hire off of the street? It isn't as simple as making it more profitable for people to go back to work by just raising the minimum wage as it has a huge snowball effect. It has been done countless times and always ends the same way. Inflation will create more problems then increasing the minimum wage will fix, and ultimately the people most effected will be the same folks struggling to get by now.

I honestly wish I had an answer that would fix the issues that didn't simply result in inflation and the beginning of the never ending cycle, but I don't . I just know all to well how this story plays out....
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess we could just force them to take lower wages. I gotta bullwhip.
    Or we could stop paying the top so much more and distribute all that excess wealth towards the bottom.
    John Wood and Pat Shackelford
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    2016 F250 KR FX4
    Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 3000QB
    2 Australian Shepherds and looking forward to retirement...

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or we could stop paying the top so much more and distribute all that excess wealth towards the bottom.
    Wow

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amen.

The centuries long, long-con is that supply and demand is good for everyone and totally appropriate when it comes to the price of goods and profit for businesses but when it comes to people and wages it is wrong, anti American and just about people being lazy and unwilling to work.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Russia, Cuba and North Korea used this technique to eliminate the middle class and make all citizens dependent on their government. Works great if you're in charge. Not so good for the remaining 99.9% of the people.

My brother is wealthy but he took chances at business I never would have taken and he worked much, much harder than I ever did. He earned his wealth through very hard work and superior business intellect. With your line of thinking, my brother should be giving me some of his money, right?

Here's an alternative thought - If you want more money, you could just work for it like the people with the "excess wealth" did.

I admire people who are wealthy because I know what it took for them to get there. I also admire people with little money who are content and understand money doesn't mean much in this life.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Russia, Cuba and North Korea used this technique to eliminate the middle class and make all citizens dependent on their government. Works great if you're in charge. Not so good for the remaining 99.9% of the people.

My brother is wealthy but he took chances at business I never would have taken and he worked much, much harder than I ever did. He earned his wealth through very hard work and superior business intellect. With your line of thinking, my brother should be giving me some of his money, right?

Here's an alternative thought - If you want more money, you could just work for it like the people with the "excess wealth" did.

I admire people who are wealthy because I know what it took for them to get there. I also admire people with little money who are content and understand money doesn't mean much in this life.
    I’ve had this discussion with my mid-twenties son many times. It’s not an issue of livable wages, it’s a matter of thousands of people without the job skills to warrant being paid more. I am in management of a small company, and our lowest people make north of $75,000 as all positions require being a self starter, problem solving, and skills along multiple job descriptions.

I remember a delivery driver at a company I worked for at one point, asking why the position was at the low end of the pay scale. I had to remind him that he was getting paid to do what the rest of us did just to get to work??

People need to do whatever is necessary to gain job skills.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Amen. Hebrews 13:5 comes to mind - "Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have..."
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2016 Silverado CC LTZ with 8-speed transmission

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast