User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrffrank440 View Post
    We have a 2021 22MLE and used the AC for the first time - which worked great.

However, when we used the microwave, within 2 minutes, we lost power. I checked the fuses, which were all OK, then I went outside to see if the main power switched off, which it was.

I was plugged into a 30 amp. Interestingly, the campground box was "hot" to the touch. We decided to shut the AC off while using the microwave, but this cannot be normal, is it ??
    Perfectly normal, a microwave is a huge power hog.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a common problem that we have found across America mainly at the 1000 trails campgrounds that we've visited. Not so much a problem at the KOA's and will maintain private campgrounds.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

However, when we used the microwave, within 2 minutes, we lost power. I checked the fuses, which were all OK, then I went outside to see if the main power switched off, which it was.

I was plugged into a 30 amp. Interestingly, the campground box was "hot" to the touch. We decided to shut the AC off while using the microwave, but this cannot be normal, is it ??
    With 30 amp, it was never unusual for that to happen. We would shut off the AC when running the microwave. Once we moved to 50 amp, had the power to run AC and microwave without any issues. In our 40 plus years of camping and various RV units, we could never (or based on history never tried) run the AC and microwave on a 30 amp line at the same time. And others are right, the 30 amp pole in some campgrounds isn't what it implies.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truth be told breakers in reality can only handle about 80 % constant loading so that 30 amp breaker (peak surge of a few seconds) or about 24 amps constant. In addition factor in any low voltage drop (increases amp draw for same loads) weak connection points (heat increases connection resistance and in turn voltage drop ie amp draw increase again) you don't really have 30 amps off that 30 amp breaker pole. Honestly an EMS answers alot of unknowns like amp loads and low volts and in turn protects your expensive electronics and AC system from slugging by disconnecting for a few minutes as well as surge guarding. A few hundred investment has paid for itself several times over in just a couple years in our personal experiences.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    [COLOR=#b22222]It can be normal to not have the ability to run everything in the camper on 30 amp, so this would not be an unusual thing. BUT at the same token If the breaker tripped at the pole and has done so quite a few times it could be a weak breaker. Have the CG look at the pole.
    I completely agree with this, but I would like to add one caveat...

Last summer at a state park in Michigan I plugged our solitude into the power box and found that the receptacle was very loose-fitting, probably from having 30 amp plugs inserted and removed thousands of times... Loose fitting receptacles carrying high current loads cause a lot of heat that can cause the metal contacts to get hot enough to become annealed and lose their springiness (and the metal box to get really hot!). I told the park ranger about the receptacle and an hour later the receptacle had been replaced. I know, I couldn't believe it either. They must do this a lot!
    Last edited by fez111; 06-19-2021 at 09:48 PM.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Yep, all normal.

You probably also had the water heater on electric, fridge on electric, and maybe even a coffee pot or the tv on.....

30 amps goes pretty quickly when running a bunch of electric appliances.
    How true, how true, and how! On 30 amps we put the fridge and hot water on gas. We can run (barely) one AC, A large fan, and "maybe" the TV. If the breaker or the receptacle is bad we may end up losing the TV and/or putting the fan on low. Using the Micro or making a pot of Iced tea the AC must be turned off!!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it is in-fact, normal. On the 30A supply, we regularly trip the breaker when trying to run the microwave and AC at the same time. This does not happen @ 50A. If you do the math, @ 30A and 120V, that's a maximum of 3600 watts assuming 100% resistive loads. Assuming a power factor, let's assume you get about 3000 watts max out of the pedestal. When I measure my AC when its running, usually pulls around 2200 watts or so. When you fire up the microwave, while having any other loads, you easily can exceed that.

Now, if we are ever forced to use 30A, in lieu of the 50A, I always shut off the AC when trying to nuke my breakfast sandwich :-)
    David Pisano
    2018 Imagine 2950RL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123