2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said, yes it's sadly common. Some of the CG are really aging and are their infrastructure. And like others stated, invest in a good surge protector to protect your rig.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once owned an Avion 5th wheel that was wired so you couldn't run the AC & Microwave at the same time.... even if you don't trip the breaker, you aren't doing your AC any good by running them both at the same time....
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work at a campground and can tell you for sure that running the AC and the Microwave can trip a new 30 amp breaker. As mentioned above the fridge and water heater are also pulling power and it can equal too much.

I learned to turn the AC to fan only when using the microwave when I had a 30 amp trailer.
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab PSD SRW

Former set up:
    2013 Kodiak 291RESL
    2017 Ford F150 Platinum

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Yes it is normal

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    No, it is not normal. If the electrical box is hot to the tough the contacts in the outlet are burned/corroded/pitted and are dropping voltage and dropping voltage across the contacts. This generates heat. You will find this mostly on 30A outlets more than fiver owners. Many 30A rig owners have not yet learned to shut the breaker off when plugging/unplugging and that causes arcing. The 30A pedestals also get more use then the 50s and the contacts get loosened over time.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    No, it is not normal. If the electrical box is hot to the tough the contacts in the outlet are burned/corroded/pitted and are dropping voltage and dropping voltage across the contacts. This generates heat. You will find this mostly on 30A outlets more than fiver owners. Many 30A rig owners have not yet learned to shut the breaker off when plugging/unplugging and that causes arcing. The 30A pedestals also get more use then the 50s and the contacts get loosened over time.
    I was referring to the AC and microwave tripping a breaker. This is normal as many have said in this thread
    My wife will do the same with her hair dryer. She knows now the AC must be shut off
    As far as the box being hot. Likely from sitting in the sun

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for totally normal. Especially if the hot water heater is on electric - it can pull a lot of power. Our technique is to run HWH on propane all the time (doesn’t use a lot), and then we don’t have issues
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    The breaker gets hot when too much current is drawn. That’s how they work.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am blown away (a little pun intended) by the fast and very informative responses on this forum. When I bought our rig, a surge protector was one of the many essentials we bought at the time of purchase. At the time, I had the fridge running on electric and the celling lights. I make it a habit to shut off the water pump when not in use, and have the hot water heater off until we need it. I typically give it an hour (electric only) to heat up, or use both gas and electric if I want hot water quicker. In case I have not stated this enough, THANK YOU !! I can only hope to become a contributor rather than a consumer to this forum. It is definitely a learning experience each time we go out.
    Mitch and Alisa Frank
    2020 Imagine XLS 22 MLE
    2020 RAM 2500 Diesel

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had this happen several times over years at campgrounds; always carry extra breaker for campground power pole. Most times they are quick about replacing them as this is ongoing issue for them; if not I will change it out myself. No sense ruining camping trip because of weak or defective breaker. The more times they trip the weaker they seem to get.
    Last edited by Buckskin; 06-15-2021 at 03:19 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast