User Tag List

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

268BH & 90 Degree Turns

A buddy and I went out to my trailer yesterday to see exactly how tight a turn I could do with my rig. 2013 F250 Crew Cab 6.5' bed. I was able to get to about a 75 degree turn and then it would be crunch time.
    Not wanting to hassle with the Turning Point pin box, a curt slider kit is on order and will be here tomorrow. I watched 2 oe 3 videos on the Lippert rotating pin box and just couldn't wrap around it.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We originally pulled our 295RL with a 6 1'2 foot bed and a stationary hitch. Absolutely could make that 90 degree turn without threatening the cab of the truck. But two things were deal breakers for me. First even though I purchased the matching wedge for my hitch, it would not sit still in the hitch. There was constant slop back and forth particularly on windy roads and those sweeping on/off ramps at the interstates. Secondly the yearly maintenance on the Turning Point requires that the pin box be dropped off the trailer and disassembled to re-grease the bearings. Not something I wanted to handle on my own and I can only imagine trying to schedule that with a dealer not to mention the expense. We ultimately traded the truck for a F250 diesel with an 8 foot bed. The new truck wasn't just about the Turning Point, there were other reasons to make the change. But now the Turning Point remains locked in the stationary position. Plenty of room to make 90 degree turn if I need to.
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB - 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Platinum CrewMax 4x4 shortbed twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.4-liter V-6

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been full-time for six years - starting out with a Reflection 337RLS and a Sierra with a 6.5' bed - and never encountered a need to make a 90 degree turn. Doing so would put too much stress on the trailer suspension, anyway.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We've been full-time for six years - starting out with a Reflection 337RLS and a Sierra with a 6.5' bed - and never encountered a need to make a 90 degree turn. Doing so would put too much stress on the trailer suspension, anyway.

Rob
    So let me modify my last comment a bit. Traveling, I have never had a need for the ability to make a 90 degree turn. But, I have a very narrow backyard (57 feet) to store my RV in with access via gauntlet which prevents me from backing in. So I must pull in and then turn around to be ready to exit for the next trip. It's the only time I need the capability and boy I use every bit of it.
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB - 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Platinum CrewMax 4x4 shortbed twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.4-liter V-6

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see out in the wide open lands of the US, and traveling the interstates, but here in the 13 original colonies there are plenty of occasions to have to turn a 90... I should make a point to post some dashcam footage of the route to our home Fter leaving the highways and you'll see what I mean... In fact, the physical constraints of the road we live on and our driveway force a turntable spin to set the approach. It's also why I've reinforced the hangers and have X-factors at all three positions.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania