User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broken Leaf Spring Hanger

Well…. Our Reflection 303 has had a major problem. I was greasing the suspension jus prior to leaving on a trip when I noticed that we had a completely broken leaf spring hanger. We had just returned from our “shakedown” trip two days earlier and we’re getting ready for our first trip of the year. I contacted the RV dealership where we purchased our 303 from to help us correct the problem. They informed us to not move the trailer under any circumstances until the hanger was fixed. So they sent out a mobile RV tech who could weld a new hanger on the trailer to our home where we have the trailer parked. The mobile RV tech arrived and inspected all 6 of our leaf spring hangers (3 on each side). He found that the leaf spring that had broken was a very recent break (within the last few days) but that we had 2 other leaf spring hangers that were cracked and ready to break. He did not do anything at that time. He let us know of the issues he found and that he would talk with the RV dealer about the problems he found with our trailer.

What a bummer. We were blessed that I discovered the broken and cracked leaf spring hangers while at home with the trailer leveled and not when driving down the road somewhere. I could have lost the entire back axel of our trailer if I had been towing it down the road. This could have catastrophic for us and anyone who might have been following us on the highway. An extra major problem avoided.

We have opened up a case with lippert for the hangers. The RV dealer has opened up a case with Grand Design. No action yet but it has only been a couple of days since this all started.

Heres hoping for a quick and equitable resolution to our problem.

Has anyone out there “beefed-up” their leaf spring hangers using the Lippert “V-Clips”? If so, how have they worked out for you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jchild- Colorado Springs, CO
    - 2018 303RLS
    - 2015 GMC 2500HD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jchild View Post
    Well…. Our Reflection 303 has had a major problem. I was greasing the suspension jus prior to leaving on a trip when I noticed that we had a completely broken leaf spring hanger. We had just returned from our “shakedown” trip two days earlier and we’re getting ready for our first trip of the year. I contacted the RV dealership where we purchased our 303 from to help us correct the problem. They informed us to not move the trailer under any circumstances until the hanger was fixed. So they sent out a mobile RV tech who could weld a new hanger on the trailer to our home where we have the trailer parked. The mobile RV tech arrived and inspected all 6 of our leaf spring hangers (3 on each side). He found that the leaf spring that had broken was a very recent break (within the last few days) but that we had 2 other leaf spring hangers that were cracked and ready to break. He did not do anything at that time. He let us know of the issues he found and that he would talk with the RV dealer about the problems he found with our trailer.

What a bummer. We were blessed that I discovered the broken and cracked leaf spring hangers while at home with the trailer leveled and not when driving down the road somewhere. I could have lost the entire back axel of our trailer if I had been towing it down the road. This could have catastrophic for us and anyone who might have been following us on the highway. An extra major problem avoided.

We have opened up a case with lippert for the hangers. The RV dealer has opened up a case with Grand Design. No action yet but it has only been a couple of days since this all started.

Heres hoping for a quick and equitable resolution to our problem.

Has anyone out there “beefed-up” their leaf spring hangers using the Lippert “V-Clips”? If so, how have they worked out for you?

Wow, definately a potential disaster avoided. I have a Momentum 351 that I only move a few times a year, and I do regular greasing, brake checks, lugs, bearings, springs, etc. I will be checking the hangers very carefully. Were the breaks at the hanger to frame weld, or of the hanger material itself? My unit has the elastomer type suspension, cant remember the name, Equaflex maybe, as the equalizers, then frame mounts for the other ends of the springs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The brake and the cracks to the leaf spring hangers are all right by the welds - where they weld the leaf spring hangers to the frame of the trailer. The leaf spring hangers are essentially thick pieces of metal bent in a u-shape and welded to the frame of the trailer. There is a hole for the bolt in each end of the hanger where the leaf spring is bolted to.

Jchild- Colorado Springs, CO
    - 2018 303RLS
    - 2015 GMC 2500HD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Underdesigned Suspension

I also have a 2019 351 and in the first year broke the equalizers and flattened two springs. GD replaced the springs and equalizers. They “upgraded” to a different set of equalizers. Changed from Lippert to Mor-Ryde. I had to pay labor $200 and then pay another local company $300 to straighten a bent axel. Not to mention all of this carnage wiped out 2 tires that I had to replace.
    Grand Design did say, choose what you want to haul, water and fuel or 4-wheeler.(I have this in an email from GD. Hmmmm. Toy hauler? Nope, This defeats the purpose of a toy hauler. I weighed the coach with full fuel, full water (157 gal.), and a Honda Rubicon 4-wheeler. Weight came in at 14,600 lb over back axels. So buyer beware, you can’t use these like you think. They need a third axel to not self destruct if you have blankets and bows or guns and pots and pans and coffee and clothes and a 4-wheeler and fuel and water and all the things needed for a happy mountain home, remember it all adds up quick and this suspension can’t take it. After you get it all stocked with the things you think you’ll need, go weigh it and see how close you are to overloaded. I just took it for granted that this coach was built to use as advertised.
    I know the salesman said I could haul my side by side (which is way heavier than the 4-wheeler) and fuel and water no problem—-not even close.

This week I have a broken spring hanger, probably from an unseen crack from the first debacle.
    All in all, I love love love this coach, but but it has some design flaws. Yes, I am an engineer.

Just be careful and check things pre and post trip.
    Last edited by camcam2200; 10-20-2021 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Typos

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use ours to haul our Spyder reverse trike, and Interceptor sport bike. We don't carry water, except for minimal amount, since we don't boondock. We are overloaded at 14,500 lbs. on the axles, and approximately 17,400 GVW.

We really like the layout and may spend some money to put 8,000 lb. axles on it next year. Which, IMO, should have been OEM. If nothing else we'll use it til something breaks.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S