User Tag List

Thread: Gd 2600rb

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gd 2600rb

Hi all,

Picked up a 2021 GD 2600RB recently and it has the upgraded axles I think 4,400lb. Dealer made a mess installing a 1000/1000 equalizer hitch. I believe that the hitch ball height is incorrect. I am in the process of loading it up for testing and adjustment on my way to campground on the 17th..

The hitch ball height on the truck is set at 22.5", can anyone with a measured coupler height confirm this. Distance between the axles to actual frame of trailer, not the axle support frame is over 24"....however the trailer is on a list front to back and side to side.

Thanks

Pierre
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gd 2600rb

Quote Originally Posted by Petrovsky View Post
    Hi all,

Distance between the axles to actual frame of trailer, not the axle support frame is over 24"....however the trailer is on a list front to back and side to side.

Thanks

Pierre

I don’t understand what you are measuring here

My 2400 and most imagines I know are between 23.5 and 24 inches to top of coupler
    My truck unloaded the top of ball is 24.5 inches above grade

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ball and coupler height aren't the important measurements with a WD hitch. When properly adjusted, the trailer should be level and the top of the tires to the top the wheel well fender openings on the truck should be decreased equally front and back from the unhitched measurements. Ball and coupler height will vary with trailer and truck loading.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrovsky View Post
    Hi all,

Picked up a 2021 GD 2600RB recently and it has the upgraded axles I think 4,400lb. Dealer made a mess installing a 1000/1000 equalizer hitch. I believe that the hitch ball height is incorrect. I am in the process of loading it up for testing and adjustment on my way to campground on the 17th..

The hitch ball height on the truck is set at 22.5", can anyone with a measured coupler height confirm this. Distance between the axles to actual frame of trailer, not the axle support frame is over 24"....however the trailer is on a list front to back and side to side.

Thanks

Pierre
    Agree with @Second Chance. You are chasing the wrong measurements. You need to get the manual for your hitch and run through the setup process if you think the dealer didn't do it properly. If it is a Fastway brand they have some good YouTube vids on how to setup their hitches.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    Agree with @Second Chance. You are chasing the wrong measurements. You need to get the manual for your hitch and run through the setup process if you think the dealer didn't do it properly. If it is a Fastway brand they have some good YouTube vids on how to setup their hitches.
    I have no idea what you and second chance are talking about

Coupler and ball height are the FIRST measurements that you use to start the hitch set up

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi to all respondents, great advice. I have set up the e2 (a few times on different vehicles). True enough to all your comments, and in all cases we want to achieve an appropriate transfer of weight back to front axles of tow vehicle once TT is hooked up. Thing is, they only had 120 ft lbs of torque on the hitch (it was loose), and the link plates were over torqued to the point of the rear support plate bending more than Fastway's recommended 1/8" (I called). Will get the backplates replaced with stronger thicker steel so I get perfect contact later.

The trailer looked reasonably level to the truck after they were done with a minor/major issue. The WD bars also act as the antisway and they were just touching on the fronts of the link plate supports. They should be lying flat on the supports for max friction.

The angle was such that to correct there were 3 things that were options. 1). Remove washers, 2). Lower the link plates or 3). Ensure an initial reasonable coupler height and go on from there.

A lot of posts suggested that the coupler height for 2800, 2600 and others for 2020 + would reside around 24 or so inches. If this is true, raising the ball 1 1/4 inches and adding a washer without adjusting the position of the link plates should put me almost in the sweet spot.

As the reasonable level area is a few miles away and my next door neighbour (Mr. Muscle) is willing to torque up the hitch but only in my driveway. I think I will move it up 1 1/4 inches to position the ball at 23 3/4, add one washer in the process and start from there.

I just needed someone to confirm the coupler height on his trailer as I cannot do this on mine at the current time. Note: The distance between the frame and driveway between the axles is close to 25 " so 24 sounds about the sweet spot. The TT is parked on a sloping driveway but I leveled it out so you can imagine what this imagine is sitting like.

Will confirm this when I return from the maiden test voyage. NB Canada is correct as the E2 manual and the Equalizer manual both state that the first thing to do is level the trailer and get the ball height as close as possible to the coupler height.

However, all of you are correct as the end goal is to distribute the weight correctly and ensure parallelism to the road surface with maybe a slight list towards the truck. As long as the anti sway function of the bars are respected and they currently are not I should be good to go.

Thanks again.

Pierre
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well did raise from 22.5 to 23.75 and added a washer. Still has a list towards front so likely need to raise ball to 25. Wt distribution bars still angled a bit. Towed ok, porpoise front to back, and in crosswind, some sway at rear but perfect when trucks passed. On wayhome will take itto scales assuming they are closed to truck traffic. Updates to follow.