Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question GMC Trailer Auxilary Camera Installation

We have a 2021 GMC 3500HD Diesel Denali and tow a 2019 Grand Design 310GK. The truck has all the bells and whistles, and we would like to add the Trailer Auxiliary Camera (Models W/Trailer - GM (84946379) to the back of the trailer. This will allow us to see the camera view through the existing infotainment radio screen.

Some of the GMC documents state it only works on trailer links up to 32’, yet the integrated cable that comes with it is 60’. The unit must be place in the middle of the back of the trailer and not at the top of the trailer where you see almost all cameras. I have seen pictures where the camera was installed and the cable attached to the outside of the trailer and the cable run underneath to get it to the front. I have also seen pictures where they ran the cable inside the trailer frame, but I am not sure if they dropped the cable straight down the back and then ran the cable underneath the trailer to the front.

I’m looking for someone that has this camera system installed on a GD 5th wheel that is at least 35’ long. How did you install it (cable outside or inside)? Did you have someone install it and if so, how much did it cost? Any suggestions you might have are appreciated. thanks
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We installed the GM trailer camera and LOVE it!!! Our trailer is not a 5'er but I can still answer some of your questions. The 32' limit is for the "transparent view" feature that your truck offers and it does require it to be mounted in the center of the back wall. Some have entered 32' in the trailer set-up to get this to work on a longer trailer with varying results. You can still use it as an observation view with out any issues regardless where you mount it. Since its a wired connection, the video quality and lack of lag is amazing! I have no doubt that you will be happy with it. On a 5'er, you will have to use the connector on the bumper( not ideal, way to go GM) but not a deal breaker when compared to a wireless set up. As far as mounting, we chose the under trailer option. Drilled 4 hole, silicones the mount, and zip tied following the propane line all the way to the front. Hope that give's you some insight :-)
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Yes I’ve seen that u have to connect via the bumper. I think I’ve seen were they were able to change the connector and it worked in the bed then but the bummer would be ok.
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary,

Look at the Furrion as an option. I have a similar set up and had the dealer install the 3 camera with the large screen. For a few hundred more, you get both sides of your rig and the rear cameras has a mic.
    I don't like how the GM Camera system resets after a few seconds when i use the bed cam lining up the hitch. I'm not sure if that will happen when you install the GM Trailer camera, but the less i have touch the screen the better for me. The Furrion is always on.

Downside- We have the screen mounted to the windshield which obstructs the view a little.

Best of luck.

Craig
    2021 Solitude 310-GSK-R
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali DWR
    B&W Companion 25K

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cemac5 View Post
    Gary,

Look at the Furrion as an option. I have a similar set up and had the dealer install the 3 camera with the large screen. For a few hundred more, you get both sides of your rig and the rear cameras has a mic.
    I don't like how the GM Camera system resets after a few seconds when i use the bed cam lining up the hitch. I'm not sure if that will happen when you install the GM Trailer camera, but the less i have touch the screen the better for me. The Furrion is always on.

Downside- We have the screen mounted to the windshield which obstructs the view a little.

Best of luck.

Craig
    Hi Craig,

What do you mean the camera resets? If you activate the bed camera while driving then yes, its only active for 10 seconds however the trailer camera stays on as long as you like also the bed camera should stay active as long as your in reverse.
    2020 GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 6.6L Gasser
    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Craig for your reply. I'm still trying to get one system vs having to have more monitors on the dash. I had a TPMS that was separate with the other truck and that was just another item I had to set up. I got the 4 trailer sensors from GMC and they are monitored through the GMC system just like the truck tires now. Not sure what you were referencing about using the bed cam with lining up as the trailer cam would not be hooked up at that point. I love the side camera view I get in the truck. Turn the turn signal on with trailer hooked up and there is your picture of the side of the truck and down the trailer. Awesome. Again, thanks for your input. Gary
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasUmpire View Post
    Thanks Craig for your reply. I'm still trying to get one system vs having to have more monitors on the dash. I had a TPMS that was separate with the other truck and that was just another item I had to set up. I got the 4 trailer sensors from GMC and they are monitored through the GMC system just like the truck tires now. Not sure what you were referencing about using the bed cam with lining up as the trailer cam would not be hooked up at that point. I love the side camera view I get in the truck. Turn the turn signal on with trailer hooked up and there is your picture of the side of the truck and down the trailer. Awesome. Again, thanks for your input. Gary
    Does the GM TPMS work with your high pressure tires?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker View Post
    Does the GM TPMS work with your high pressure tires?
    Well I’ve run into two issues now. One is the new Stems I’ve read are smaller than the rims on the GD. I’ve read they can be modified. Second and biggest is I’ve been told they only handle up to 90 or 99 psi and there can be a distance issue getting the signal to the truck. Supposedly the sensor is behind the rear license plate. Next stop GMC.
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Gary

I just saw your post - welcome to Grand Design - I thought the last time we talked you were considering a motor home. Not sure how often you go rving, but maybe we will see you out there.
    Ralf & Cheryl
    USAF - Ret
    2020 Ram Megacab Dually Night Edition 4x4, 6.7 Cummins HD, Exh Brake, AISIN 6sp Auto, 3.73 gears
    2021 Reflection 315RLTS - Ultimate Power - Peace of Mind - Arctic 4-Seasons Protection Packages

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRam View Post
    Hello Gary

I just saw your post - welcome to Grand Design - I thought the last time we talked you were considering a motor home. Not sure how often you go rving, but maybe we will see you out there.
    No, we still prefer the 5th wheel. Just upgrade to a 2021 GMC 3500 with all the bells and whistles. We get out about every 3-4 weeks to mostly state parks. See you out there some time.
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast