Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black and Gray Tank management while parked

Hello,

I'll be parked for quite a while with full hookups.
    ...Is there any reason why I should have either the Black or Gray valves closed?

I ask because when I leave the Black open, the smell is reduced quite substantially, but didn't know if that caused any other concerns?
    ...including having the Grey valves open at the same time?

Thanks!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master IceMan View Post
    Hello,

I'll be parked for quite a while with full hookups.
    ...Is there any reason why I should have either the Black or Gray valves closed?

I ask because when I leave the Black open, the smell is reduced quite substantially, but didn't know if that caused any other concerns?
    ...including having the Grey valves open at the same time?

Thanks!
    We keep the black tank closed and make sure we use lots of water when flushing solids. Also we use the little pouches for the tank. The gray tank, it depends on what we are doing, I will close it when the black tank is getting 3/4 full do I have gray water to flush the sewer hose after dumping the black tank.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do not want to keep your black tank open. Doing so will provide you with a gift...a poo pyramid. All of the liquids will drain off and run out the hose. Everything else (poo and paper to help form the pyramid) will be left behind. Not a pleasant thing to fix, from what I understand.

Keep your black tank closed, only opening it to drain when it is about 3/4 full. After you drain it, run about 5 gallons of water into the empty tank. Water, in the case of your black tank, is you best frien.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    After you drain it, run about 5 gallons of water into the empty tank.
    I should have mentioned that. I always put 5 gallons in via the flush port. I close the gate and let 5 gallons flow into the black tank. Then I drop one or two (depending on how hot outside it is) of the tank pouches. Your dealer might have given you some, or Thetford and Camco sell their brand, plus you can find several others out there.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have two dump valves on our 311BHS. On extended stays, we leave the gray tank valves open and the black tank closed. We also create a P trap in the hose just before the sewer connection to prevent sewer odors. After dumping the black tanks, we do a good tank flush/cleaning each time which also cleans the hoses.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Echoing the advice above. I like leaving everything closed and just releasing as I get near full. For the black tank, this is a must. As mentioned, more than leaving it closed, make sure you have water in it to start.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also keep them both closed. You really don't want things drying up in there and nasty fumes crawling in.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

The overwhelming choice seems to be to keep the Blank tank CLOSED, even though it smells much better to leave it open and have it drain as you go.
    And yes, of course I use those Deodorizer pods and liquids, but my experience is that that only works "ok".
    It sounds to me that what I need to do is FLUSH out the system more often from the external intake!

As for whether to leave the GRAY Tank open or closed, there seems to be mixed feelings on that.
    I get that having them CLOSED will provide the volume of water I might need to rinse the hose.
    But I feel like all the times I use the sink and shower, it's already doing that continuously.
    So maybe the answer is leave them OPEN, until I'm a day or two away from draining the Black Tank; then CLOSE them to build up some water volume for a power rinse.

...Have I got it all wrong, or am I on the right path now?
    Thanks!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having gone through the"poop pyramid" before its not a fun job to clear.The advice is sound keep the water in so it flushes the solids out.I usually fill my black to at least 3/4 when I leave in anticipation of dumping. Never had an issue with the old travel trailer and don't think will have with this one.
    Retired Pilot 2021 Grand Design 30 g 2018 Ram 3500,2015 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I hate to have to ask this question: But, "how do you know when you have the "poop pyramid"?
    ...smell won't go away? ...use a flashlight to look down the toilet? ...nothing is draining looking through the clear part of the hose?

And what's the solution? Filling the toilet with lots of water won't do it? Flushing through the external inlet wont do it?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast