User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The reason being that septic-safe TP disintegrates in water and doesn't stick to things until it dries out again while solid human waste is greasy (nice image, isn't it?). It's most likely the grease that coats the sensors. That's why the "geo method" with water softener (borax crystals) and detergent with agitation has proven itself in the long run.

Rob
    The bacteria based tratments I us also digest grease. The catch is they need time to work. Most of my outings are extended stays, so that also is in my favor.

Bottom line, understanding why they misbehave is the key. Then one can determine if doing something differently (if possible) may solve the issue.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use the GEO method until I tried the below. Works like a champ! It is way cheaper than those gel packs. I copied it from somewhere verbatim....

Calgon water softener (and not Borax), for sure, but also the addition of Pine-Sol disinfectant/cleaner. It doesn’t break down oils as much as the Dawn detergent does, has a stronger, more pleasant smell (you can use any scent), and has a disinfectant property.

Here’s how to make your own:
    Purchase or find a clean, one-gallon (128-ounce) bottle
    Pour in 40 ounces of Pine-Sol (generic or alternative pine-based cleaners can also be used)
    Pour in 4 ounces of Calgon (we like the bath beads)
    SLOWLY pour in water to fill the one-gallon bottle (it will foam like crazy and take time to fill completely)
    Gently shake
    For most holding tanks (both black AND gray; 30-50 gallons in capacity), pour in four ounces (1/2 cup) EVERY time you empty your holding tanks. A one-gallon bottle of this solution will give you about 50 tank treatments, all for a cost of roughly ten dollars.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the gray tank is mostly soapy water, when I had a sensor problem, I just filled the tank with clean water, let it set a couple of days then drained. That took care of it.

Welcome!! We are in Boerne.
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not quite sure I understand the statement… “It doesn’t break down oils as much as the Dawn” I was wondering why the Pine-Sol is preferred over the Dawn? Strictly for the odor killing?

Quote Originally Posted by MachWun View Post
    I used to use the GEO method until I tried the below. Works like a champ! It is way cheaper than those gel packs. I copied it from somewhere verbatim....

Calgon water softener (and not Borax), for sure, but also the addition of Pine-Sol disinfectant/cleaner. It doesn’t break down oils as much as the Dawn detergent does, has a stronger, more pleasant smell (you can use any scent), and has a disinfectant property.

Here’s how to make your own:
    Purchase or find a clean, one-gallon (128-ounce) bottle
    Pour in 40 ounces of Pine-Sol (generic or alternative pine-based cleaners can also be used)
    Pour in 4 ounces of Calgon (we like the bath beads)
    SLOWLY pour in water to fill the one-gallon bottle (it will foam like crazy and take time to fill completely)
    Gently shake
    For most holding tanks (both black AND gray; 30-50 gallons in capacity), pour in four ounces (1/2 cup) EVERY time you empty your holding tanks. A one-gallon bottle of this solution will give you about 50 tank treatments, all for a cost of roughly ten dollars.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan_Dreaming View Post
    Not quite sure I understand the statement… “It doesn’t break down oils as much as the Dawn” I was wondering why the Pine-Sol is preferred over the Dawn? Strictly for the odor killing?
    You prefer to have the black tank kinda oily as opposed to sticky.
    Here's a good short article https://kleentank.com/the-geo-method/

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Ynot4me2 said. Looks to be where I got the receipe. Been using it and works great. Used to use pods ($$$) and kept smell away for awhile. Then geo but switched.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ran across this new video on YouTube from the NRVTA. Provides a good basic explanation of the tank and the sensors. How the sensors work and what can cause false readings. Disclaimer: I wanted to provide this purely as education on tank sensors and do not support or recommend any particular product or method for cleaning tanks and sensors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYJetxLMtsI
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had trouble with the sensors in my first tt. Then got a brand new. 5th wheel. Black tank sensors continued to read full after 1st dump. I decided not to fight that fight. I ignore the black readout and dump when the grey tanks are full and thoroughly back flush the black tank. We use the gel packets and marine/RV tp. No problems in 3+ years.
    Last edited by wannabervin; 07-17-2021 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Clarify

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabervin View Post
    I had trouble with the sensors in my first tt. Then got a brand new. 5th wheel. Black tank sensors continued to read full after 1st dump. I decided not to fight that fight. I ignore the black readout and dump when the grey tanks are full and thoroughly back flush the black tank. We use the gel packets and marine/RV tp. No problems in 3+ years.
    Check out septic safe TP. Better quality TP, less $, same breakdown.

I used to use gel packs to. They help with smell...that's about it. GEO method or the one I use... no more sensor problem. Never a poop mound. Not much flushing needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of good advice here.

Using a good black tank treatment like "Happy Campers," and then every 4th dump or so using Calgon & Dawn will keep the black tank and the sensors clean. With every dump we did several good black tank flushes until clear water ran out of the sewer hose. We refilled the black tank with several gallons of water after each dump & used plenty of water with each toilet flush. Also, we always use RV or sceptic safe toilet paper.

Our Rvs were seldom stationary for more than 2 weeks. Before hitting the road we did a couple of good black tank flushes, then did the Calgon/Dawn treatment. A few hours of sloshing around seemed to do the trick! The sensors worked most of the time & we didn't have odor issues either.

There are some cautions with using Clorox in the holding tanks. There's been concern regarding what bleach does to good bacteria & enzyme based treatments.

Happy camping.

Dave
    2022 Imagine 2670MK - ProPride - TV Ram 1500
    2018 Isata-3 24FW - Toad 2019 Wrangler 2.0 Turbo
    2015 Tiffin Allegro 36LA - Toad 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
    2011 Spree 323RLS, 2007 Zeppelin 281- TV Armada

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12