User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The experts at etrailer say this: "When it comes to trailer tires you always want to have them inflated to their max psi when cold. Not only do you get the full capacity at the max psi, you also will generate less heat in the tire since there won't be as much flex in the sidewall, you'll get better wear and better fuel mileage."
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R
    Factory Solar, Factory Disk Brakes, Heat Pump

2017 Reflection 29RS (Sold)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called Grand Design, Lippert and Cooper I was directed back to Grand Design. No one knew, or would give me any information.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve95628 View Post
    Thanks all. Today was another travel day and the pressures were the same. Sounds like it's normal. I'll call Cooper anyway next week to see what they say but all seems fine. We've got almost 6000 miles on her already, no issues!
    Mine do the same thing ... But no problems yet. I was able to drop my cold pressure to 110-115 and have been more comfortable with the temps and psi.
    Last edited by DECelt; 05-16-2023 at 08:23 PM.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the email response I received from Cooper April 2022 suggesting what alarm settings I should have on the TPMS. Personally I set my TPMS high pressure to 148PSI, low pressure to 122PSI, high temp to 150F.
    "John:

The RV trailer should have a placard on it that states what the tires should be inflated to. The max / min pressure should be +/- 20% of that number. Cooper would recommend a max temperature of 180F. The inflation pressure should be set at the placard specified pressure. If there are large changes in ambient temperature, the inflation pressure should be reset to the target inflation pressure at the current morning ambient temperature.
    This came from our Radial Medium Truck department for you.

David"

20% puts it at 150PSI max pressure.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve95628 View Post
    Wondering if this is ok for Cooper RM170 tires to get to 144psi. I fill them cold to the stated pressure on the placard of 125psi. The spec sheet for these tires states max pressure of 125psi. I assume that's cold tho.

Traveling through the southwest with ambient temps over 100.

Attachment 34997
    I am in Arizona, I have the same tires I have seen temps in the 160s. Keep your tires at 125 cold.All tires are to be set that way, I states that on the sidewall.It is not the ambient temp as much as it is the temp of the asphalt. You can cook eggs on it in the summer. Don't over think it. Air is you tires coolant
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I am in Arizona, I have the same tires I have seen temps in the 160s. Keep your tires at 125 cold.All tires are to be set that way, I states that on the sidewall.It is not the ambient temp as much as it is the temp of the asphalt. You can cook eggs on it in the summer. Don't over think it. Air is you tires coolant
    FWIW, I don't think it actually says on the tire sidewall to inflate to the max pressure. It just states the max carrying weight at the max pressure cold. At least that's what all the tires I've seen have on the sidewall. Tire threads always generate a lot of this-and-that.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living in NC, and traveling to FL during the winter months, I can have 40-50 degree ambient temp swings. When I know that is going to be the case, I do start my tires out below max PSI, so about 115 cold, and by the time I get to the freeway they are at 125, and by the time I travel to the first refueling stop, they are at 130-135 depending on outside temp. I rarely get above 137, but that is a 22 pound swing, which would freak me out to have mine at 147 if I started at 125. My temps stay between 100-115 on the tires, and only creap up higher if I am rollin strong (Speed increased).

Just sharing my "H" rated Cooper stats.
    I try not to over think it. I have 20K + miles on my tires, and my routine works for me, and would only suggest those that are concerned to get a routine that works for them. Not everyone will have the same tires, rig, temps, speeds, destinations.

I appreciate the content we all put into this forum, helps keep me educated, so thank you.
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    FWIW, I don't think it actually says on the tire sidewall to inflate to the max pressure. It just states the max carrying weight at the max pressure cold. At least that's what all the tires I've seen have on the sidewall. Tire threads always generate a lot of this-and-that.
    The OP seemed to be questioning himself for setting the pressues cold. All automotive tires for steet use are set cold. One does not need to be concerned with psi rise as the tires warm up. Letting air out WILL increase sidewall flex which (undersame conditions) will increase heat build up. Trailer tires need to be set cold, and it is best to set them at max pressure. This makes the sidewalls stiffer to reduce sway, and they run cooler for better reliability. Which seems to be a major concern for most Rvers..... Based on the numerous tire failure posts....Why do anything to make them more failure prone?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume "ambient temperature" is outside air temperature. The Goodyear G114 H rated tires on my RV, with a cold air pressure of 123, will regularly exceed 140. Assuming you always check cold pressures before each trip and after any significant change in outside air temperature you should be ok with those pressures. Probably should check and adjust them before you head out after your next overnight stop.
    Michael Dilday - Suffolk, Va.
    2024 Solitude 376RD - Body paint, 3rd A/C, slide toppers, solar upgrade, 8k axle upgrade
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD Duramax Crew Dually, B&W Companion hitch
    35+ years camping

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    The OP seemed to be questioning himself for setting the pressues cold. All automotive tires for steet use are set cold. One does not need to be concerned with psi rise as the tires warm up. Letting air out WILL increase sidewall flex which (undersame conditions) will increase heat build up. Trailer tires need to be set cold, and it is best to set them at max pressure. This makes the sidewalls stiffer to reduce sway, and they run cooler for better reliability. Which seems to be a major concern for most Rvers..... Based on the numerous tire failure posts....Why do anything to make them more failure prone?
    Not arguing with your advice, just pointing out that it says nothing about what pressure to inflate the tires to, just what the max pressure, and weight carrying capacity is. You said "All tires are to be set that way, I states that on the sidewall.", and I was just clarifying.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast