User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Not arguing with your advice, just pointing out that it says nothing about what pressure to inflate the tires to, just what the max pressure, and weight carrying capacity is. You said "All tires are to be set that way, I states that on the sidewall.", and I was just clarifying.
    Last year we attended the Grand Design National Rally. There was a non profit RV safety vendor weighing rigs for a reasonable fee. They weigh your truck and your trailer separately and then weigh them again hooked up. Each wheel position is weighed separately. Based upon your weights, there is a recommended tire. Inflation for each wheel position. In my case our solitude 345GK had recommended tire pressures. of 90 psi. I have been using those inflations for almost a year. I use the tire link monitoring System and I have never had excessive temperatures. Of course you should do what you think is right for you. Just remember if your tires are inflated to a higher pressure than necessary you’re subjecting your trailer to a rougher ride and you were going to have tire wear on the tread of the center of the tire. In reference to inflating System and I have never had excessive temperatures. Of course you should do what you think is right for you. Just remember if your tires are inflated to a higher pressure than necessary you subject in your trailer to a rougher ride and you were going to have tire wear on the tread of the center of the tire. In reference to inflating your tires to the minimum recommended pressure if you set it at cold pressure on a cold day you’ll never have to worry on hotter days because you’re not setting it at maximum inflation, pressure and then on a hot day starting out at a pressure over the max pressure. If you follow the idea of some here and are resetting your cold pressure based upon the temperature of the day that you were starting out on, you will be constantly resetting your pressure throughout the day if you take a trip such as the one we were on a couple of years ago. We left Yosemite National Park in October at 29 degrees. That night we pulled into Death Valley at 107 degrees. Imagine how many times I would have needed to stop & adjust my pressures. Again do what you think is best for young
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    Last year we attended the Grand Design National Rally. There was a non profit RV safety vendor weighing rigs for a reasonable fee. They weigh your truck and your trailer separately and then weigh them again hooked up. Each wheel position is weighed separately. Based upon your weights, there is a recommended tire. Inflation for each wheel position. In my case our solitude 345GK had recommended tire pressures. of 90 psi. I have been using those inflations for almost a year. I use the tire link monitoring System and I have never had excessive temperatures. Of course you should do what you think is right for you. Just remember if your tires are inflated to a higher pressure than necessary you’re subjecting your trailer to a rougher ride and you were going to have tire wear on the tread of the center of the tire. In reference to inflating System and I have never had excessive temperatures. Of course you should do what you think is right for you. Just remember if your tires are inflated to a higher pressure than necessary you subject in your trailer to a rougher ride and you were going to have tire wear on the tread of the center of the tire. In reference to inflating your tires to the minimum recommended pressure if you set it at cold pressure on a cold day you’ll never have to worry on hotter days because you’re not setting it at maximum inflation, pressure and then on a hot day starting out at a pressure over the max pressure. If you follow the idea of some here and are resetting your cold pressure based upon the temperature of the day that you were starting out on, you will be constantly resetting your pressure throughout the day if you take a trip such as the one we were on a couple of years ago. We left Yosemite National Park in October at 29 degrees. That night we pulled into Death Valley at 107 degrees. Imagine how many times I would have needed to stop & adjust my pressures. Again do what you think is best for young
    I have done the inividual tire weights and while they are a real eye opener for that one day..I have a different opinion. RVs are different than most other trailers in that weights can vary a lot in the course of a trip as things get consumed or change locations. To top that off weights can vary a lot between trips. A quick weekend trip for us will have a MUCH lower weight than one of our longer 3-4 weeks boondocking trips. I believe in the Max pressure practice. The downsides to being a little over inflated are trivial compared to being under inflated
    Tire wear is not a factor. Tires almost always age out long before the tread is gone. As for the ride, I havn't noticed any down sides. What seems to make the biggest difference was going from a solid to a cushioned equalizer
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I have done the inividual tire weights and while they are a real eye opener for that one day..I have a different opinion. RVs are different than most other trailers in that weights can vary a lot in the course of a trip as things get consumed or change locations. To top that off weights can vary a lot between trips. A quick weekend trip for us will have a MUCH lower weight than one of our longer 3-4 weeks boondocking trips. I believe in the Max pressure practice. The downsides to being a little over inflated are trivial compared to being under inflated
    Tire wear is not a factor. Tires almost always age out long before the tread is gone. As for the ride, I havn't noticed any down sides. What seems to make the biggest difference was going from a solid to a cushioned equalizer
    I understand. But here are some numbers for you. At 90psi the load table is 3725 pounds. At 100 psi it’s 4080 pounds & at 110 psi it’s 4385. These are loads per tire. If you have 4 tires which means if you increase your cargo load by 1420 lbs you need to go from 90 psi to 100 psi. Unless you have a toy hauler it’s hard to imagine that much difference in a weekend trip or a 4 month trip. It’s very hard to imagine you would go up to needing 120 psi for a load of 4720 pound per wheel or 18,880 pounds on your trailer wheels. If you were that heavy you would be putting over 9000 pounds on your 8K axles. Also you would be way over your rated (by Grand Design) cargo capacity. Again it’s your rig & your choice of how you want to air up your tires. I do respect your choices.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never inflate the tire to the maximum pressure on the sidewall unless it is the same as the Tire & Loading Information sticker tire pressure on the vehicle from the manufacturer. Always inflate cold (before being driven) to the manufactures tire & Loading Information sticker on the vehicle. RVs are always at, near or over GVWR. Don't adjust for underweight vehicles.
    Michael Dilday - Suffolk, Va.
    2024 Solitude 376RD - Body paint, 3rd A/C, slide toppers, solar upgrade, 8k axle upgrade
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD Duramax Crew Dually, B&W Companion hitch
    35+ years camping

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
    Never inflate the tire to the maximum pressure on the sidewall unless it is the same as the Tire & Loading Information sticker tire pressure on the vehicle from the manufacturer. Always inflate cold (before being driven) to the manufactures tire & Loading Information sticker on the vehicle. RVs are always at, near or over GVWR. Don't adjust for underweight vehicles.
    Sometimes "never" is a bit overused. Sometimes the tire size or load rating is different from what's listed on the vehicle sticker. Then you might/could deviate from the sticker.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    I understand. But here are some numbers for you. At 90psi the load table is 3725 pounds. At 100 psi it’s 4080 pounds & at 110 psi it’s 4385. These are loads per tire. If you have 4 tires which means if you increase your cargo load by 1420 lbs you need to go from 90 psi to 100 psi. Unless you have a toy hauler it’s hard to imagine that much difference in a weekend trip or a 4 month trip. It’s very hard to imagine you would go up to needing 120 psi for a load of 4720 pound per wheel or 18,880 pounds on your trailer wheels. If you were that heavy you would be putting over 9000 pounds on your 8K axles. Also you would be way over your rated (by Grand Design) cargo capacity. Again it’s your rig & your choice of how you want to air up your tires. I do respect your choices.
    I have a Toy hauler. It has a 18' garage,18CF fridge and a CC of almost 5K. triple 8K axles. It can carry 155 gallons of fresh water and 208 gallons of waste water. GD states that I can load the entire CC into the garage Obviously there can be a LOT of differences in load distribution in the course of a trip, and total load between trips, I have a trip planed where I will load a jeep in the garage.
    I gave up obsessing about tires when I went with quality ones back in 2006. Before that, I bought into all the things that were said about pressures, load,speed, curbs, potholes, checking them at fuel stops etc,etc. I did everything but rub baby oil on them, have a Rabbi bless them, and sacrifice a live chicken. None of it worked. From 1992 to 2006 I had numerous tire failures. None of them made it to their second birthday. In 2006 I tossed in the towel on conventional thinking. I began to buy the best tires, in the highest LR and sizes that would fit. Sometimes that meant lifting the trailer,and or getting new drums, and or new rims. And running them at the maximum cold pressure. It has been working great. I usually air them to 125 once a year in the winter, and that is it. As it warms up that compensates for the little bit they lose over time.I run a TPMS, and so long as it is happy. so am I
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I have a Toy hauler. It has a 18' garage,18CF fridge and a CC of almost 5K. triple 8K axles. It can carry 155 gallons of fresh water and 208 gallons of waste water. GD states that I can load the entire CC into the garage Obviously there can be a LOT of differences in load distribution in the course of a trip, and total load between trips, I have a trip planed where I will load a jeep in the garage.
    I gave up obsessing about tires when I went with quality ones back in 2006. Before that, I bought into all the things that were said about pressures, load,speed, curbs, potholes, checking them at fuel stops etc,etc. I did everything but rub baby oil on them, have a Rabbi bless them, and sacrifice a live chicken. None of it worked. From 1992 to 2006 I had numerous tire failures. None of them made it to their second birthday. In 2006 I tossed in the towel on conventional thinking. I began to buy the best tires, in the highest LR and sizes that would fit. Sometimes that meant lifting the trailer,and or getting new drums, and or new rims. And running them at the maximum cold pressure. It has been working great. I usually air them to 125 once a year in the winter, and that is it. As it warms up that compensates for the little bit they lose over time.I run a TPMS, and so long as it is happy. so am I
    Always best to get the best tires. I imagine that if you weighed your wheels individually you would need the maximum tire pressure.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234