User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outside Propane Connection

This question relates to the exterior propane QD, not the outdoor kitchen, which I do not have.

Like almost everything else with GD, they managed to put the propane QD up under the side of the trailer so that is is next to impossible to reach. I have two bad knees that make kneeling next to impossible. I literally have to lie on the ground and reach up to make the propane hose connection.
    The line comes off a manifold block that also feeds other stuff and I havn't done a lot of exploration on it.
    Has anyone extended the propane connection so that it is accessible from the side of the trailer without having to do contortions to make a connection.
    If you have, photos/descriptions would be very much appreciated.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    This question relates to the exterior propane QD, not the outdoor kitchen, which I do not have.

Like almost everything else with GD, they managed to put the propane QD up under the side of the trailer so that is is next to impossible to reach. I have two bad knees that make kneeling next to impossible. I literally have to lie on the ground and reach up to make the propane hose connection.
    The line comes off a manifold block that also feeds other stuff and I havn't done a lot of exploration on it.
    Has anyone extended the propane connection so that it is accessible from the side of the trailer without having to do contortions to make a connection.

While I am guessing on this, I suspect that the QD is mounted to a piece of pipe that extends from the manifold you describe. You should be able to simply replace that pipe with a longer pipe to accomplish your goal.

A few very important things to be aware of before you try this repair...

Gas pipe is not simply galvanized water pipe, it is a special pipe called "Black Pipe", it is treated to resist the corrosion of the gas. Also, you can not use the normal (white) Teflon tape on the threads, you have to use gas rated tape (yellow tape), they also have a yellow pipe dope you can use instead of the yellow thread tape (I use both [belt and suspenders approach]).

Both the Black pipe and yellow thread tape and/or yellow pipe dope are available from Lowes in the area where they sell their water heaters.

PS: I suggest you paint the outside of the new pipe with black paint before you install the new pipe (the black pipe I installed got surface rust rather quickly).

PPS: you may need to add additional support for the longer pipe, but overall, this is a very simple repair.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I've been working with propane stuff for a long time so I'm familiar with the materials and practices. I was just wondering about extending off of the manifold itself. If the pipe is threaded where it enters and exits the manifold and if that is the case, it appears that the entire gas piping on that side would have to be disassembled in order to unscrew it from the manifold on both sides. That's what I'm trying to stay away from.

Can you post a photo of what you did?
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I've been working with propane stuff for a long time so I'm familiar with the materials and practices. I was just wondering about extending off of the manifold itself. If the pipe is threaded where it enters and exits the manifold and if that is the case, it appears that the entire gas piping on that side would have to be disassembled in order to unscrew it from the manifold on both sides. That's what I'm trying to stay away from.

Can you post a photo of what you did?
    On my old TT, I had a "Tee" fitting coming from the frame. What I actually did is add a "Tee" on the end add then two nipples, followed by two "Elbows", followed by two more nipples which terminated into a pair of Quick Disconnects. My goal was to add a second disconnect.

Your Quick Disconnect should be threaded. If you can't get the pipe out of the manifold, maybe you could add a coupling along with an appropriate length nipple and extend the QD that way.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a 337RLS. And yes, I extended the gas connection by adding a flexible gas hose and ran it up in through the hole
    That was provided in the storage compartment. I added another shutoff valve on that end. When I pack up, I just roll up that hose and leave in the storage area, but still connected underneath. I do shut off the valve underneath when traveling. And yah, I have no idea why such a nice rig has that valve a foot short of the side of the rig. Makes no sense at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Todd Dean
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Silverado 2500 Gas, std Bed, 2 WD
    BW Companion

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going from memory here. There is a Tee with a 1/4" or 3/8" NPT female tap in the bull. Get yourself some steel nipples and malleable iron 45 deg elbows. You'll need to measure how far out and below the skirt is good for you. if you keep both of those measurements the same the length of the nipple would be the measurement x 1.414 I.E. 3" x 1.414= 4" nipple after taking off for the fittings.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 06-20-2021 at 02:35 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no tee in my setup. It's a small aluminum manifold, connected to a rubber gas line and connected to a three port manifold that feeds the other appliances. The thread sizes appear to be something around 1/4", not sure of the size. The QD appears to be screwed directly into the single outlet manifold using one or two threaded adapters. There is no hose or pipe between the manifold and the QD.
    I could fabricate a length of pipe to attach the QD to the manifold, but I have never see pipe that small in diameter that could be threaded to the correct size.
    Still scratching my head here.
    There have been some well meant responses here, but at this point, "might be able" or "maybe you can", but what I need is direction from guys who have already solved this and details on how it was done.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no tee in my setup. It's a small aluminum manifold, connected to a rubber gas line and connected to a three port manifold that feeds the other appliances. The thread sizes appear to be something around 1/4", not sure of the size. The QD appears to be screwed directly into the single outlet manifold using one or two threaded adapters. There is no hose or pipe between the manifold and the QD.
    I could fabricate a length of pipe to attach the QD to the manifold, but I have never see pipe that small in diameter that could be threaded to the correct size.
    There have been some well meant responses here, but at this point, "might be able" or "maybe you can", but what I need is direction from guys who have already solved this and details on how it was done.
    Send us some pictures.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The three port manifold is the "tee" The disconnect has a nipple threaded into it and the manifold. I was just looking over other things and noted mine is 3/8" NPT. The disconnect is an RV specific item and has a shut-off valve built into it. As far as I could find they are female thread only.
    When the tire blew out last fall, to my chagrin I found GD used brass nipples threaded into the disconnect. The nipple was cracked by probable impact and if I hadn't gone fooling with it would have had an unknown gas leak. Use steel pipe nipples and malleable iron or steel fittings when you modify. Any of this is readily available at a good plumbing supply house. If you don't know how to measure it tell them you want a "run" of 3/8 steel nipples. That would give you all sizes in 1/2" increments from about 1" to 6". Because it is all threads don't use the shortest one. Get two 3/8" malleable 45 deg elbows and then you could mix and match until you get what works for you. They aren't expensive
    I was shocked to see they used rubber hose to run the gas. My previous Flagstaff had iron pipe.
    FWIW I had 37 years in the pipe trades.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 06-20-2021 at 02:44 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a photo of the single and triple manifold. It looks like the threads are 3/8 NPT. I was looking on the McMasters Carr site and they sell 3/8" pipe and fittings in the event I can't find them locally.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	propane.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	35070Click image for larger version. 

Name:	propane.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	35070
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast