User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using the leveling system to change a tire anyone?

I noticed at one of our camp sites, the auto level system, actually (on asphalt) raised the far rear tire off the ground. Coincidentally that same tire has a slow leak that I'd like to get fixed before a major trip in August. Short of taking the whole rig down to the tire shop, maneuvering this massive rig in town is not something I'm looking forward to doing, so a preferred option would be to pull said tire and run it down for repair. The other option is buy an appropriate sized jack (2-3 ton) and do it the old fashioned way or to save the $, bite bullet and take her in. Very involved and requires the wife as an extra set of eyes for maneuvering is mandatory. Anyone try this in a pinch?

Thoughts?
    2020 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke SB
    2021 GD Solitude S 2930RL-R (trailer#5)
    Married father of 4 (3 sons 1 daughter) Two Eagle Scouts
    Navy Veteran - InfoSec Examiner/Auditor in the financial industry

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I have done this without issue. I would throw the spare on just in case while the other tire is off being fixed.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TSeck954 View Post
    Thoughts?
    It's not recommended by the manufacturer but I do it. I do add jack stands under the frame while the wheels are off just for insurance.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I raise mine up to repack the wheel bearings, grease it, and check the brakes all the time. I have the Ground control 3 which is electric motors. With a hydraulic system, absolutely use jack stands for safety. I have seen what happens when riggers moving heavy equipment (30 tons or more) have a hydraulic line fail. No one injured thankfully, but millions of dollars in damage. Almost put them out of business.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The manufacturers say that the levelers aren't designed to support the weight of the trailer and to never lift enough to raise a tire off the ground. When I first got my FW and used auto leveling, this happened. Now I used wood blocks to help the levelers. If I ever got into a situation that I needed to change a tire, I would probably use the leveler to lift a tire off the ground. Using jack stands or even a floor jack to assist might be a good idea.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed a tire with my electric jacks but put a bottle jack under the axle as well. I have gotten all four tires off the ground with the auto level system with a downhill site and noticed the trailer was a little more wobbly inside. I found that if I run the front jacks about halfway out when unhitching on a downhill site the auto level will take the nose really low to avoid this. Just make sure the truck is out of the way.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan to use some blocks under the leveler and then once the tire is off, I'll put a jack stand under the axle taking some strain off the jack. It's a temporary solution until I can get the tire repaired and reinstalled.

Thanks for all the input.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a triple axle Momentum and just this last week did a bearing repack and brake inspection on all six wheels. I did one side at a time...first the curbside, then when it was complete and put back together with the wheels back on and torqued to spec, I did the streetside wheels. So once I lifted one of the sides of the trailer with the hydraulic levelers, to the point that the tires were almost off the ground, I then put jacks under each axle and lifted each one just enough to get the tire off the ground for removal. Keep in mind.....mine is hydraulic levelers and even though G.D. says not to use them for changing a tire, those hydraulic cylinders are rated for a lot more weight than the trailer actually weighs.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, these are the electric jacks so not an issue with hydraulics but was more concerned about putting undue stress or twist on the frame of the trailer. I'll put a couple of 2x6 blocks under the jack and and once the tire is clear, I'll put a jack stand under the axle and take some load off the jack until the tire is fixed. Then I'll reverse the process. Not something I plan on doing as a regular process but she's on an asphalt pad in the yard (level) for an extremely short time (the afternoon). I already checked with the tire shop and I think it will be quicker off the trailer as well.

Thanks for all the input.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note that the S-Class Solitudes have an electric leveling system and the system on the other Solitudes is hydraulic. The weight ratings on the struts may be different between the two. On our Solitude 310GK, the hydraulic struts are rated for several times the weight of the rig, so - despite Lippert saying not to do it (probably a CYA policy) - I have use the system to raise the tires off the ground one side at a time. I always used jack stands on the side with the wheels removed. You may want to check the individual/total weight capacity on the electric system on your S-Class before moving ahead with this method (probably OK, but you want to be sure).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast