Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad new start into the life

Hello All! We picked up our new Momentum 25G on May 22nd, 2021. I’m torn on my feelings. The salesman was fantastic, but our RV experience so far is about to be trying. When we initially ordered our 25G I selected every option that I could. Solar, second AC, 3 season door, Gen, everything. The day before we were initially supposed to take delivery, around may 10th, we were called and told they found our fuel pump controller bad, and the roof had a puncture requiring the roof to be replaced. This pretty much ruined the trip we had planned the following day for it. The RV stayed an extra week at the dealership for these parts to be replaced.

So we drove up 5 hours to take delivery on the 22nd. Drove it home, parked in the driveway and only slept in it one night. The beds are horrible, so I’m looking for replacements as we speak. But that’s to be expected in most trailers. I didn’t have time until this weekend to get in and start checking things. We are scheduled to take it out for 4th of July weekend.

First thing I found was that our primary AC does not blow cold, yes I know RV’s don’t blow as cold as a house AC, but our primary Coleman 15k is barely blowing at room temp. The front 13.5k works perfectly.

My next find, the precision power display panel doesn’t work. Nothing is displayed.

The third item and hopefully last item, the freezer is working, but the fridge does not appear to be cooling at all.

I am beyond aggravated. Grand design touted themselves heavily on quality products and continuous QC checks throughout building and before a unit leaves the facility, yet I have not one but seemingly 5 different major things wrong…. And, as much as I love my dealership, they only found 2 of the 5 things…

My closest grand design dealer is 2 hours away. I’m going to attempt contacting other dealers in my home town for repair tomorrow. Someone please give me some good news that grand design is better than this and will take care of things…. I’ve never owned a trailer myself, but my father in law has had several along with our friends, no one has experienced this level of issues with theirs, and all have come over to verify that indeed my issues do exist…

Very frustrated…

Josh

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchBulldogRV View Post
    Someone please give me some good news that grand design will take care of things…

Josh

Of course they will
    It is all under full warranty

Goodluck getting another dealer to take care of you quickly though

Fridges take awhile to cool. What temp is it at?

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also ask if you went through all the systems on your PDI(Pre-Delivery Inspection). This is a place where these kinds of discoveries are made. It is entirely possible systems stop working between the dealer and home, that happened to me. As NB said regarding the fridge, could take a full day to reach cooling temps. I would check the ac to see if the “divider” is positioned correctly a big problem on many of these ac units as it it literally held in place by friction. Highly possible this has moved and is allowing unconditioned air to mix with the conditioned. Does the affected ac short cycle? That is a good indicator. As far as the control, others who have experience with that can chime in. Welcome and please hang with it and let us know how things go.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The kid that did our walk around with us had only ever done a couple. Probably should not have been left to do it alone. He struggled his way through it. The ac was turned on and off real quick, we didn’t reach up and feel it. Same with the fridge, never looked at the power display screen. As for the AC, it is sitting as it should be. That was the first thing I stumbled across in the forum. Checked temps with a temp gun. It’s currently 88 outside, my front unit is blowing at 55, the rear is 88, it does not short cycle. I power cycled the RV this morning, now the fridge appears to be very slowly coming to temp. The freezer is ice cold already. I’m hindsight if I wasn’t 6 hours from home and trying to hit the road to get back I would’ve been a bit more engaged during our walkthrough. But I had faith in the dealership being they had already caught two major issues on the unit. Live and learn I guess. Just disappointed something like this could even leave the factory with so many issues. Or I guess to your point that so many things could possibly fail on the first tow home. Whichever it was, doesn’t speak to quality. Also forgot to mention the tongue jack had to be replaced at the dealership before we left because it stopped working while getting the load distribution hitch set up. ��
    Last edited by FrenchBulldogRV; 06-20-2021 at 02:00 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought our rig new from a dealer out of state. I have had a few issues that I couldn't go back to that dealer on but have found Grand Design support to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable. They were willing to pay for a mobile tech but I opted to have them send me parts and I installed myself.

I agree the mattress was intolerable and we tried to fix it with a topper. Now that mattress and topper is in a spare bedroom in our house and we bought a bed in a box from Amazon. Everyone has their own preferences, we really like this one
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of things you can check is that divider. Removal of the plastic ac cover on the ceiling. Directly underneath you can see if that divider is allowing the cool air to mix with the intake air. Hopefully it is something simple like that for the ac.

Good Luck with it.
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What fridge? May just need to be reset.

A/C - if you had a roof replacement - it didn't leave the factory that way - and the dealer put on a new roof (gulp), they may have damaged the A/C is buggered the wiring.

Cannot help on the panel other than saying try a reset.

GD will authorize a mobile technician, but you have to request it first. I know hindsight is 20/20, but you as the buyer control the PDI. It should take as long as you need to make sure you are satisfied, and not at all any pace set by a dealer.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My AC doesn’t have the divider. It has the hard foam directed box installed. I removed all of that and verified proper alignment, and proper seal between suction and pressure systems, also verified wiring to the Unit. I’m an electrician on aircraft by trade. I’m assuming when they replaced the roof something got screwed up. Seems like it’s got no freon if I had to place a guess.

I did disconnect all power, and the batteries, solar, and the display panel, hooked everything back up and still nothing.

Hindsight is 20/20. I didn’t really think I would need to inspect with a fine tooth comb as much as I did. When spending $70K on something and the manufacturer and dealer speak so highly of their inspection and QC process, I guess I just had too much faith and trust. That certainly will never happen again.
    2021 Momentum 25G
    2017 GMC Sierra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the plus side, I really do love our Grand Design. I’m just frustrated with the bugs that need to be worked out. Put Furrion side and rear cameras on last week. TireLinc is on the way. I spent a lot of years camping in wall tents, overland vehicles, and borrowing other people’s trailers on the rare occasion. It’s great to have our own. I’m honestly looking forward to using it. Will be looking for must see places in the pacific north west soon. Hopefully the repairs don’t take long. I guess I was just looking for reassurance that this isn’t all the norm for GD, and that they’re good at taking care of things. From the replies so far I don’t think I’ll have anything to worry about.
    2021 Momentum 25G
    2017 GMC Sierra

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m with geotext1 on this one. If the dealer did the roof, willing to bet they messed up the ac.

Was hoping it was something simple.
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast