Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need advice on the 17MKE

I am going to buy my 1st RV in 2023 and have my eye on the GD 17MKE.
    At first I was looking a bigger TT like the Outback 260UML until I learned it's not easy to tow with a 1/2 ton and its length might reduce my choices of where to park.

Anyway, I walked into a 17RBHL from Forest River and was extremely surprised how roomy it was. Next I was surprised again when I looked at the GD 17MKE it was 99% the same vehicle.
    Only visible differences I could see was the theater seats and the murphy bed had arm rests.

So, being a total newb, could you kind folks give me input, any input big or small, on this TT from GD.
    My plan is to drive it across the US and back then probably sell it after 3 years. Will be towing with a new F-150 Hybrid with a built in 7.2 KW generator.
    In case anyone is interested, My goal is to find a new place to live where the fishing is good and the houses cheap. (avid river fisherman)
    Plus, I am solo and dont have anything better to do once I retire.

Things I am most interested in hearing about are reliability, boondocking and comfort living 24/7 full-time.
    After you bought it, did you feel it was to small. I think the floor plan makes it look much larger than it is, but size is size, and I would like not to trade up.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised no one has replied. The 17mke is a nice compact tt. We came from a Jayco Hybrid tt and one of our must have was a fix bed. Most of the time when we travel, we are in a different site every day or every other day. We preferred to have a fix bed. Another must have for us was being able to fully use the rig with the slide in. From what I've read, you can't open the Murphy bed with the slide in. Those were our must have, Ymmv.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is the slide in a deal breaker for some? I think the slide only needs to be slightly out to clear the bed. Why is that bad?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slides either have to be fully in or fully out. Not partially open. For us, being able to fully us the rig with the slide in either over night at a Walmart Inn or extend lunch break at a truck stop for examples was a must.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I could always recline the theater seats.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had looked at the 17MKE as well, but couldn't get onboard with the murphy bed. When lowered the foot part was still slightly higher than where your head was. You can't easily switch the mattress for something more comfy which was the first thing we did in our 22mle.

We too wanted full access with the slide in, for the same reasons. We also have a toddler who might want a nap during an extended stop.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does all hinge on the Murphy bed. We put a 2” memory foam topper on it and really like it, though I’ve read of others replacing the entire mattress too. We’ve napped in the theater seats.
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 17MKE (2019) was probably one of the first ones off the line. That model year came with a fixed queen bed. We changed out the mattress with a residential mattress with topper, which I suspect would have been impossible with the Murphy bed. We have theater seats instead of dinette.

I must say that from all my experience with the trailer, the bed is the one thing I really do not like. At our ages (60s) one does not sleep thru the night without a extra bathroom trip or two, so in the beginning we would sleep in the conventional situation and I would crawl over DW. Later on we decided to try sleeping in a sort of V-style (she is short and I am tall) which is better but not great. Also the fixed bed is impossible to make up, change sheets, etc. I really miss a regular walk-around bed.

We pull with a F-150 with ecoboost and it's great. We used to pull a 34-ft TT with a dually, and I like the easy maneuverability with the present set-up. It is very agile and you can get into just about anywhere. I would say that the 17MKE is not for everybody, but if you want a high-quality, nimble unit it is much better than an R-pod and such.