User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PE4 code on my EMS

Hello everyone, getting a PE4 code on my EMS which is low voltage. I’m perplexed as the RV is plugged into my brand new house with everything brand new. 50amp plug with corresponding wire back to my breaker panel. If this was campground I would assume maybe there was issue with the pole etc but since it’s the new house I’m having trouble wrapping my head around why the power keeps kicking off. I was only running one AC and EMS showed I was only drawing 11AMPS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Could this be a issue with the EMS itself?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing I would do is measure the voltage at the 50 amp plug with a cheap multimeter. You could have a bad connection or maybe even one of the hot wires not connected at all.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PE is Previous Error, which means at some point in the past, since the last "unplug", it detected low voltage. Could have been something in the neighborhood that dropped voltage for a short period of time that caused it. It doesn't mean it's detecting a constant low voltage.

I would unplug and then plug back in. It will clear the PE4 code and then just monitor. If it comes back, look into it further.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had PE4 problems from time to time. One of the first things I did was to purchase a cheap analog voltage meter that plugs into the wall. It is by no means very accurate or really worth much of a hoot, what it does do is gives you a visual indicator that you can watch in your kitchen or living room to observe trends in the voltage dip. Just one piece of information that may (or may not) be relative to the problem.

Line drop can occur at many many places in the electrical grid. It will probably take a trained electrician some sleuthing to find it. But you mention a new house. So new connections and new hardware. My son just had some electrical renovations done on his new to him home. His oven just wouldn't work right. After chasing it around a few weeks someone tumbled to the breaker on the circuit being bad. They replaced the circuit breaker and the oven now works.

I have been told not to run the A/C unit when the voltage is low, apparently it damages them, and/or causes them to fail prematurely. The other thing you can do is to just touch a bunch of electrical stuff. If you feel a wire or breaker or connector being unusually warm that's an indication of resistance thereby reducing voltage.

Good luck on the hunt.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I am plugged in at home I will get a PE4 during a storm that the lights flicker but we don't lose power. I assume the grid loses enough power that the EMS trips but then will resolve itself.
    2021 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Cummins
    2021 Solitude 3550BH-R w/factory solar