Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LIFEPO4 Cheap

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LIFEPO4 Cheap

I recently installed four 3.2v LIFEPO4 cells with 280 aH. I took a gamble buying direct from China (Alibaba) and so far they work. Looking to hear from anyone else that has done something similar and if you have had any issues.

I did quite a bit of research and think I did it right. I replaced the converter with a Progressive Dynamics made for lithium batteries Also put in a Renogy 20 amp DC to DC charger to charge them all the way up while driving. The BMS has a blue tooth connection so using that for charge and use status. All in on this mod was around $1000

My goal was to easily make it on battery power thru cold nights running the furnace and tank heaters. We found out the hard way that the battery that came with the rig only lasts about 4 hours doing this (in a National Park with generator hours).

I also got a small inverter to power the TV but holding off on a big inverter. I think the way we use power I will need to run the generator 2-3 hours a day to recharge if we are not towing that day.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timkoenig View Post
    I recently installed four 3.2v LIFEPO4 cells with 280 aH. I took a gamble buying direct from China (Alibaba) and so far they work. Looking to hear from anyone else that has done something similar and if you have had any issues.

I did quite a bit of research and think I did it right. I replaced the converter with a Progressive Dynamics made for lithium batteries Also put in a Renogy 20 amp DC to DC charger to charge them all the way up while driving. The BMS has a blue tooth connection so using that for charge and use status. All in on this mod was around $1000

My goal was to easily make it on battery power thru cold nights running the furnace and tank heaters. We found out the hard way that the battery that came with the rig only lasts about 4 hours doing this (in a National Park with generator hours).

I also got a small inverter to power the TV but holding off on a big inverter. I think the way we use power I will need to run the generator 2-3 hours a day to recharge if we are not towing that day.
    That is exactly my project for next winter.
    Can you post the link to the batteries you selected from Alibaba? Also which BMS did you choose? How/where did you connect the small inverter and TV?

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to hear from someone who completed this DIY LiFePo4 Battery Project.

This is the absolute lowest cost solution for upgrading to Lithium batteries.

So, basically, you were able to get a 280ah battery bank, plus your Progressive Dynamics Converter for the cost of one Battle Born Battery. That is incredible value !!!!

PS: I doubt that it will take more than one hour to recharge your battery from the generator every morning.

PPS: Could you give the readers an idea on how difficult a job to build the battery was?
    And maybe give us an idea of your DIY or Electrical experience level as well. Thanks.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks David. The install was not difficult at all if you understand basic circuits. I spent more time online trying to decide what to buy. The four 280 ah 3.2 volt cells and the BMS fit perfectly in the factory battery box with a little padded tape cushioning around and between them. I took the vent hose off because I was concerned that I might get water down it and these batteries don't vent anyway. I installed the DC DC charger on the wall right above the battery, it is really just in series with the power wire coming from the truck. Emptying out the basement to take down the wall and get to the converter took more time than swapping out the converter.

As far as my DIY and electrical experience, well I grew up on a farm and have a lifetime of learning working many years in engineering and maintenance (I can get in the 55 and over parks now). But I knew nothing about LIFEPO4 a couple of months ago and I learn the most every time I take on a DIY that I know nothing about in the beginning.

I see you have Tesla battery modules, are those available used or did you buy from Tesla?

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks David. The install was not difficult at all if you understand basic circuits. I spent more time online trying to decide what to buy. The four 280 ah 3.2 volt cells and the BMS fit perfectly in the factory battery box with a little padded tape cushioning around and between them. I took the vent hose off because I was concerned that I might get water down it and these batteries don't vent anyway. I installed the DC DC charger on the wall right above the battery, it is really just in series with the power wire coming from the truck. Emptying out the basement to take down the wall and get to the converter took more time than swapping out the converter.

As far as my DIY and electrical experience, well I grew up on a farm and have a lifetime of learning working many years in engineering and maintenance (I can get in the 55 and over parks now). But I knew nothing about LIFEPO4 a couple of months ago and I learn the most every time I take on a DIY that I know nothing about in the beginning.

I see you have Tesla battery modules, are those available used or did you buy from Tesla?
    My Tesla Battery Modules are used, they are readily available on e-Bay. The Modules are "Nominal" 24 volts, however, the voltages of Lithium Ion Cells do not match the voltage profile of a 24 volt Lead Acid battery. Consequently, setting the voltages on a Tesla Battery are critical and you need equipment (Victron) that can have the precise voltages set so you can keep safe.

The Tesla Battery Modules were the best storage value I could find a few years ago. Today, I would definitely build a 280ah Battery Bank from the LiFePo4 cells like you did. Having had a 24v system, I would probably still build out a 24 volt system, probably as an 8s, 4p battery bank giving me just over 1000 ah storage. I know from experience that 560ah would probably be a little bit short, however, if I were to stay with 12v, a 4s, 3p bank might be enough (still, for the price difference I would probably stay with the 8s, 4p config).

A couple of years ago, we went out to the AZ desert and we found that we were using slightly more energy every day than our Solar was bringing in, due to the low Sun angle, so having the large storage capacity really came in handy (we had a Generator for backup), but, we were able to not run our battery bank down because we stayed at a campsite every ten days (+/-).

Thanks for asking, I really like the power the Tesla batteries can store and my wife loves having 120v power available all the time. On our last trip we even pulled into a rest stop for lunch and ran the Air Conditioner because Florida gets Dang Hot.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job! Nice to see someone follow through. I gave up on getting my cells in time so I bought a drop-in for this season. Only 100Ah, but along with the solar (added a portable panel as well) it will be sufficient for our needs this year. I've already got the BMS and a couple expensive battery cases designed for the 272/280 cells, so I think this winter when shipping times have hopefully returned to normal I will take another shot at the DIY route. A pair of 280s will be nice, but then I won't have anywhere near enough solar to really feed them.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I am holding off on solar and big inverters. But I have been thinking about another 280 in parallel and a 3000 watt inverter so I could run an air conditioner for 3-4 hours during no generator hours.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless I'm missing something, 4 if these batteries will fit inside if a standard size 27 battery box, correct?
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those 3.2V cells should charge just fine on a standard charger for anyone contemplating this path.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast