Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide out trim support

Hi everybody, (first post and hopefully in the correct thread)

I have been reading through many helpful posts on here for a bit since we purchased our new to us 2015 Momentum 350M. I have been camping for years and had a nice Lance 1055 but finally upgraded to a much larger rig.

We have worked through many issues already with the help of the forum, replaced the original tires with Good Year Endurance and I just finished installing the disc brake conversion kit.

On to my question... I searched high and low but did not find any posts relating to the slide out skirting/ supports. Mine have an adhesive holding the trim to a metal bracket that was poorly bent/ aligned from the factory. This has caused it to come detached and it flexes freely in the wind and while towing.

I just edited the post because I can't figure out how to orbifni can add pictures. I am referring to the black skirting below the slides whichbhas a sheet metal backing. There are two metal "L" braces in which the sheet metal side is glued to. Noth slides also have part of the fender well attached to this trim/skirting piece.

I am thinking of cleaning the adhesive, bending the bracket to an angle that is more fitting to the skirt so there isn't a 5/8" + gap to fill. Then using PL5200 as an adhesive to re secure it. I am also debating whether or not to add a bolt or two. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Don
    Last edited by Ds98zs; 06-21-2021 at 05:05 PM. Reason: More specific not sure how to add pictures

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a big fan of Gorilla Glue. You could also clean everything and get some fiberglass roving to overlay where the support mates with the trim and then saturate the whole thing with resin.

I have to ask, though... did you mean to type Goodyear Endurance regarding your new tires? The Endurance tires only come in a load range E and your trailer has a GVWR of 16,500 lbs.

Finally, welcome to the forum! You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full-timed for 9 years in a Reflection 337RLS and Solitude 310GK-R

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rob,
    Thank you for the response. I ended up removing and re bending the brackets so they mate with the trim all the way down instead of just at the bottom and drilled new mounting holes. Before reinstalling the brackets I coated them with PL5200. I also added a couple rivets (painted black) through the trim because I was having a difficult time getting it clamped.

I will add some pictures once I figure out how.

As for the tires... you read it correctly. I had the tires replaced shortly after we purchased the trailer because they were 5 years old (the tires looked brand new almost probably about 95% tred still). I said I wanted the best tires and they put those on. Now that I have compared the two since your comment I am a bit alarmed. The old Westlakes were 3520lbs per tire and the Goodyears are 3420lbs. Both are load range E and sized per the sticker on the RV.

I am presuming the Westlakes were technically sized per the 7000lb axle weight but the Goodyears would be under rated by 160lbs now? I really wish I had looked into this more thoroughly before getting the tires instead of relying on the tire shop.

I definitely don't want to chance anything and will be looking into replacing the tires...yet again.

Thanks for the heads up!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ds98zs View Post
    Hi Rob,
    Thank you for the response. I ended up removing and re bending the brackets so they mate with the trim all the way down instead of just at the bottom and drilled new mounting holes. Before reinstalling the brackets I coated them with PL5200. I also added a couple rivets (painted black) through the trim because I was having a difficult time getting it clamped.

I will add some pictures once I figure out how.

As for the tires... you read it correctly. I had the tires replaced shortly after we purchased the trailer because they were 5 years old (the tires looked brand new almost probably about 95% tred still). I said I wanted the best tires and they put those on. Now that I have compared the two since your comment I am a bit alarmed. The old Westlakes were 3520lbs per tire and the Goodyears are 3420lbs. Both are load range E and sized per the sticker on the RV.

I am presuming the Westlakes were technically sized per the 7000lb axle weight but the Goodyears would be under rated by 160lbs now? I really wish I had looked into this more thoroughly before getting the tires instead of relying on the tire shop.

I definitely don't want to chance anything and will be looking into replacing the tires...yet again.

Thanks for the heads up!
    Before you run out and drop big money on tires (again), load your trailer up with anything that you would put in it for a trip and go weigh it so you'll know what you're dealing with. Both the Westlakes and the Endurance tires are load range E, but at a given rating, the Goodyear is a much better tire. The Westlake Es developed a well-earned reputation for disintegrating for little or no reason. If you do decide to replace the tires again, I recommend you check out the Goodyear G614 or Sailun S637 (the tires I run). Both are load range G and have excellent reputations for staying in one piece.

Besides creating a signature with your rig information, here's another forum hint: If you're replying to a particular member, use the “Reply With Quote” next to “Reply” (as I have done here). The person to whom you are replying will receive a notification and it helps others know whom you are addressing. You can also tag using their user name and the "@" sign: @_____. That will also generate a notification.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full-timed for 9 years in a Reflection 337RLS and Solitude 310GK-R