User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koolbreez View Post
    Upper Peninsula of MI fantastic. Mackinac Island a must visit in my view. Been thr many times. It's fun. Thunder Bay is NOT compatible with your description of desired routing. Gorgeous to get there over the top of Lake Superior but you'd be missing MI & WI altogether. Southern shore of Lake Superior is beautiful but if I recall, lake views on major highways in the UP are rare. Spent dome childhood summers near Minocqua WI. Some RV parks near there.
    Kool, is that Thunder Bay MI or Toronto?
    Mackinac Island is a must see for us and the ferry ride.
    over.
    Thanks Sir
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thunder Bay is in Ontario on Lake Superior and near the border with MN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Well, I am finally planning my trip to Toronto. I have a son and his family that live there, including a grandaughter that will be two in November that I haven't yet seen due to covid (other than video or pictures).

We are probably going in Aug. or Sept......so, any tips or tricks to pulling a 5'r across the boarder?

I am pulling from Wichita Kansas and am going to do Toronto, then go over into Michigan, around the north end into Wisconsin and home. Anyone one from the Michigan or Wisconsin area that can give me some favorite campgrounds? We want to travel from Detroit area to Traverse city, up to Mackinaw, around into Wisconsin.....might stay north and ride along Lake Superior before heading south towards Des Moines and home.

Sorry for long post, but any campgrounds, advice pulling across the boarder, must see sites in Michigan or Wisconsin?

Regards
    Ray
    There is also a KOA near Milton,

Setting Up Camp north channel novels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume from your description, you are returning home via northbound I-75 through Michigan, to get to the south shore of Superior. One of our favourite Michigan campgrounds is the Lake Michigan Campground in Hiawatha Nat. Forest. Take the first exit off the Mac bridge and go west a few miles. Unserviced sites the last time we were there, but a beautiful long sand beach.
    2000 Jayco Eagle 243RKS 1992 Dodge 250 5.9 Cummins (retired)
    2013 Puma 253FBS 2003 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins (Moved on)
    2018 Reflection 230RL 2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (Current)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by north channel novels View Post
    I assume from your description, you are returning home via northbound I-75 through Michigan, to get to the south shore of Superior. One of our favourite Michigan campgrounds is the Lake Michigan Campground in Hiawatha Nat. Forest. Take the first exit off the Mac bridge and go west a few miles. Unserviced sites the last time we were there, but a beautiful long sand beach.
    Yes sir North Channel, planned on hwy 2 if its a good hwy,

Setting Up Camp north channel novels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes sir North Channel, planned on hwy 2 if its a good hwy,
    Was good seven years ago .... for what that's worth. Two lane in that region but they were expanding to four in a few spots in WI.
    2000 Jayco Eagle 243RKS 1992 Dodge 250 5.9 Cummins (retired)
    2013 Puma 253FBS 2003 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins (Moved on)
    2018 Reflection 230RL 2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (Current)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto the great!

Rhanks IROCQUE, been told that Milton is also nice, and since we will be going west when leaving your fine city, probably stay there if possible.
    My son and family live on Woodbine Ace and wants me to stay in his driveway, but not real comfortable with towing in Toronto proper....we've visited before without a camper and can only relate the traffic to London England.
    Looking fwd to it and are waiting to see if they change "end of July" opening date.

Regards
    Ray
    Time to send forth my $0.02
    Toronto is a great city to be from. Believe me I left 50 years ago, but love going back every time I can.
    I think you said you were coming in from the East yes?

Depending on where on Woodbine Ave your son lives, you may be doing a heap of city driving. Not quite London (been there drove it), but pretty heavy and tight.

Gotta say that staying anywhere within an hour of downtown is going to be tough. I would suggest something on the East side of Toronto if possible. Oshawa, Pickering etc., has great commuter train service into Toronto. It might even connect with their "subway", the rapid transit system.

I would never attempt to take a fiver through Toronto myself, I have outlived my deathwish!

Hwy 401 is the busiest highway in the world (check the history or weather channel for Heavy rescue 401).

You can stay off the 401 by using highway 7 north of the city proper. That will get you all the way to the MI border, and really nice travelling.

A personal preference would be to travel north from Toronto instead of West. Coming back into MI. at Sault Saint Marie. Fantastic sights, (Sudbury has the worlds biggest nickel), and great terrain.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip. Toronto itself is great for sightseeing, restaurants are terrific, lots of ethnic areas. Use the TTC (Toronto's rapid transit) to get around. It's cheap, fast and clean.

Safe travels to my home town!
    Mark and Amy Williams East Tennessee (Go VOLS), Retired and rollin'
    GD 303RLS (2020), Ford F250 King Ranch (2018), Brussel Sprout (fur baby co-pilot), Champion Inverter Hybrid Generator,

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdwilliams44 View Post
    Time to send forth my $0.02
    Toronto is a great city to be from. Believe me I left 50 years ago, but love going back every time I can.
    I think you said you were coming in from the East yes?

Depending on where on Woodbine Ave your son lives, you may be doing a heap of city driving. Not quite London (been there drove it), but pretty heavy and tight.

Gotta say that staying anywhere within an hour of downtown is going to be tough. I would suggest something on the East side of Toronto if possible. Oshawa, Pickering etc., has great commuter train service into Toronto. It might even connect with their "subway", the rapid transit system.

I would never attempt to take a fiver through Toronto myself, I have outlived my deathwish!

Hwy 401 is the busiest highway in the world (check the history or weather channel for Heavy rescue 401).

You can stay off the 401 by using highway 7 north of the city proper. That will get you all the way to the MI border, and really nice travelling.

A personal preference would be to travel north from Toronto instead of West. Coming back into MI. at Sault Saint Marie. Fantastic sights, (Sudbury has the worlds biggest nickel), and great terrain.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip. Toronto itself is great for sightseeing, restaurants are terrific, lots of ethnic areas. Use the TTC (Toronto's rapid transit) to get around. It's cheap, fast and clean.

Safe travels to my home town!
    Wow......Mark, THAT is NOT anything that i had even considered, but, looks fantastic.
    Hmmmmm....i got stuck on the 401 last time i went to Toronto......i vowed i would NEVER do that again.
    Thanks soooo much for your advice.
    Where are you in TN?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow......Mark, THAT is NOT anything that i had even considered, but, looks fantastic.
    Hmmmmm....i got stuck on the 401 last time i went to Toronto......i vowed i would NEVER do that again.
    Thanks soooo much for your advice.
    Where are you in TN?
    I like being an amateur travel agent!

We live in the Appalachian mountains, near Bristol Motor Speedway.

North East corner of the state.
    Mark and Amy Williams East Tennessee (Go VOLS), Retired and rollin'
    GD 303RLS (2020), Ford F250 King Ranch (2018), Brussel Sprout (fur baby co-pilot), Champion Inverter Hybrid Generator,

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdwilliams44 View Post
    I like being an amateur travel agent!

We live in the Appalachian mountains, near Bristol Motor Speedway.

North East corner of the state.
    If we went your route, which looks fantastix but a little intimidating, 7 (ish) hrs from Toronto.....good places to stay in Michigan when you cross the boarder?
    We rode motorcycles all over TN, Army Friend lived in Lebanon.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast