User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"One night stays".....while traveling

Going to Toronto Canada from Wichita as soon as travel allows to see kids and grandkids......also going to incorporate a trip around Michigan, over into Wisconsin on the way home.
    Soooooo, with my 230RL, I have to put the slide out to sleep or will end up getting a hotel room.
    What places are easiest to find off the interstate.....KOA's.....RV parks (if so, how do you find them while in transit?)

I know these are 101 questions but I have not had to do it yet.

Thanks
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally I plan where I am going to stop based on how long I want to drive and find what campgrounds are in the area and convenient and either make a reservation or just pull in and hope they have a site. Lately I make reservations.

Alternatively you can start driving and sometime during your drive figure out how far you will go that day look for campgrounds in the area you think you will get to that day.

You can use the Allstays Camp and RV app, the RV Trip Wizard app, RVParkey or some other app to find campgrounds up ahead that would be convenient to you on your route. oh heck - use the Good Sam printed directly (does anyone really do that anymore?)
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Going to Toronto Canada from Wichita as soon as travel allows to see kids and grandkids......also going to incorporate a trip around Michigan, over into Wisconsin on the way home.
    Soooooo, with my 230RL, I have to put the slide out to sleep or will end up getting a hotel room.
    What places are easiest to find off the interstate.....KOA's.....RV parks (if so, how do you find them while in transit?)

I know these are 101 questions but I have not had to do it yet.

Thanks
    I think your 230RL, like the 260RD needs the slide open to access the bedroom and bath so the basis for your question. Many rest areas frown on open slides in the parking lots and even if they let you stay you may get a visit during the night from law enforcement. Those that allow overnight stops in their lots like Cracker Barrel or Walmart are more understanding but I would be careful where or how I park because of the slide. I gave up a long time ago trying to hurry along or save a buck by overnighting like that. Myself I look for local, county or state campgrounds and find an overnight site. These tend to be less costly (in my opinion often nicer because they are part of a park ) than a KOA or private campground. Also I sleep better knowing it's more secure than an open lot. I'm in no hurry and have learned how far and long I can drive (and my dogs will tolerate) in a day so I try to space things out accordingly. I have found, as I'm traveling this weekend for a three week outing, that piecing together travel stops is getting very difficult to do. A LOT of time spent searching and readjusting to make things work. Campground crowding is a thing now and I believe just pulling up or calling ahead a few hours before is a thing of the past.
    There are many others but I find this to be a useful tool: https://davidodonnel.com/rv-park-locator/
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 06-23-2021 at 04:14 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the Allstays Camping & RV Pro app extensively to find campgrounds and all sorts of RV related things (dumps, truck stops, propane, etc,) on our trips. We also use Campendium (app and also web-based) a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These days just showing up and hoping a site is available is risky. I plan my trips ahead of time and generally stay at KOAs for transit nights as they are close to interstates. I'm a KOA member and just use their website for reservations.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I think your 230RL, like the 260RD needs the slide open to access the bedroom and bath so the basis for your question. Many rest areas frown on open slides in the parking lots and even if they let you stay you may get a visit during the night from law enforcement. Those that allow overnight stops in their lots like Cracker Barrel or Walmart are more understanding but I would be careful where or how I park because of the slide. I gave up a long time ago trying to hurry along or save a buck by overnighting like that. Myself I look for local, county or state campgrounds and find an overnight site. These tend to be less costly (in my opinion often nicer because they are part of a park ) than a KOA or private campground. Also I sleep better knowing it's more secure than an open lot. I'm in no hurry and have learned how far and long I can drive (and my dogs will tolerate) in a day so I try to space things out accordingly. I have found, as I'm traveling this weekend for a three week outing, that piecing together travel stops is getting very difficult to do. A LOT of time spent searching and readjusting to make things work. Campground crowding is a thing now and I believe just pulling up or calling ahead a few hours before is a thing of the past.
    There are many others but I find this to be a useful tool: https://davidodonnel.com/rv-park-locator/
    Well Wicked, i didn't want to stop in unsafe places either, this is great advice.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill & Jeri RV Travels View Post
    We use the Allstays Camping & RV Pro app extensively to find campgrounds and all sorts of RV related things (dumps, truck stops, propane, etc,) on our trips. We also use Campendium (app and also web-based) a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey Bill, this is great, will check into the Campendium.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    These days just showing up and hoping a site is available is risky. I plan my trips ahead of time and generally stay at KOAs for transit nights as they are close to interstates. I'm a KOA member and just use their website for reservations.
    Thanks Capt......Been thinking about the KOA membership, maybe now is the time.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For overnight stops with the ability of opening the slides and plugging in KOAs are the easiest . As others suggested call ahead , calling ahead may get you a nice level spot so you don't have to unhook or reserve on line . Planning over nights on weeknights do make it slightly easier to find a spot.

Having to open the slide makes free overnight at truck stops and other places a no go.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Captcolour has good advice above. I'll have a general idea of how far I want to travel on any given day and the night before will take a few minutes to look ahead. I have KOA and Good Sam memberships and their websites work well to plan ahead. I also use RVParky as I can find campgrounds the other two don't list. Usually on the travel day, and before lunch, we'll call the campground we've chosen to reserve a spot. We've been surprised to find sometimes they're already booked and we have to go with a second choice. It's best not to wait and find out there's no room for you.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast