Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

308BHTS Hard wire surge protector

Hello All,

We recently picked up a gently used 2015 Reflection 308BHTS. I am wanting to install a hard wired Surge Guard surge protector and have not started taking thing apart yet so figure out where it should be mounted. My question is Has anyone installed and sort of hard wired surge guard on a 308BHTS, if so where did you mount yours?
    I am thinking it will either go just behind the plug(either in the bunk room or underneath) or behind the pass thru wall.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can’t help with your install but have you considered a portable unit instead?
    I prefer to have power issues stopped at the pedestal vs inside the coach

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a big fan of the hard-wired models. They're more secure and it's one less thing to worry about when setting up and tearing down (you'll never forget it at the site). I'm not familiar with your floorplan, but on most units the inlet connector is usually at the same end of the trailer as the power distribution panel. There's usually enough room behind the power distribution panel for the EMS (they are electrical management systems and do a lot more than just surge protection).

I see this is your first post - welcome to the forum! You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too want to install a hard wired surge protector. On you tube there are videos, and I believe they are installed close to where power comes into the rv. Only problem I've seen is if you have a generator and need some sort of neutral jumper or something. Just Google it or check you tube.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at a few videos and the floor plan and it looks like the plug is on the rear cap of the RV. Assuming that is the case....

I'd guess you electric panel is in the rear bathroom in a cabinet. At any rate you need to find it (the circuit breaker panel). Alternatively you can find the rear of the 50amp receptacle that your shore power cord plugs into.

Once you find it see if there is room for your hardwired unit to be installed near it, in a cabinet next to it or someplace close by.

Now you need to decide:
    1) whether you want to run a new 50amp cable from the receptacle to the EMS and then connect the existing 50amp cable going to circuit panel to the output of the EMS.
    2) if you want to remove the 50amp wiring from the circuit panel, connect it to the input of the EMS and then install a new 50amp cable from the output of the EMS to the circuit panel.

Pay attention to where Line 1 and Line 2 connect so you don't reverse them.

You can get some 4 AWG 4/3 cable from Home Depot or Lowes (or a lot of places). But it is pretty hard to work with. I'd suggest spending a few more dollars on some nice fine stranded 4/3 4 gauge wire. Like this..... This is just an example and you shouldn't need 10' so maybe you can find a place where they sell it by the foot.

Finally, I'd highly recommend the remote display for the Surge Guard. But I'd more highly recommend the Progressive Industries EMSHW50C 50 AMP SURGE PROTECTOR.

btw.... welcome to the forum....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you need 4 conductor wire?
    Retired, 2018 Ram 3500, 2021 Reflection 315 RTLS. I live in Chatsworth Ga.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edf1951 View Post
    Do you need 4 conductor wire?
    For a 50 amp RV, You need 4 conductor 6/3 NM-B w/ground. It’s 6 AWG stranded cable, exactly what Grand Design uses to connect to the 50 amp breaker in the RV. Available by the foot at either Homedepot or Lowe’s.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...0099/204632777
    Last edited by Jerryr; 07-12-2021 at 10:34 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no need to endure the expense or difficulty of working with 4 gauge wire. Standard size for 50A is 6 gauge. You are good up th 50' with that size. The breaker is only going to let you draw 50A max.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone, I just completed the install of the hardwired (30 amp) version from progressive. I just pulled the breaker panel ours is located in the bedroom. There was plenty of room behind the breaker panel. I could intercept the cable from our shore power plug place the EMS in the middle connect the in/out sections of cable and done. How this helps!