User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Installing additional 50 amp outlet

I’m sure most have come across that site that placed the power box behind their Reflection that requires a substantial extension. My question is there a way to put an additional outlet on the back of my Reflection and tie it into the front? Main purpose is so I can plug a generator normally on a carrier in the back without running the cord down the side of my RV.

The plugs would never be used simultaneously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 Ford F-250

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could install an auto transfer switch and then no need to worry about hooking them up at the same time. The transfer switches usually have a preferred source so there arent problems if both inputs have power.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's also a manual version of this AC source selection which would be a little cheaper.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blue Sea makes a two source 50A selector switch. It will not let you select a different source until the one is use is locked out.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am actually doing this mod this weekend. I want to run the generator in the truck bed while driving to run one AC unit. I bought a Progressive Dynamics auto transfer switch and a Camco 50 ft 30 amp cord. I really don't need 50 ft but was thinking a 25 ft may not be long enough. My plan is to cut the cord from the current power feed where I can mount the transfer switch in series then just snake the Camco cord from the nose back to the switch and cut off the excess. I don't see a need for mounting a connector on the front of the rig, just let the cord sit in the bed of the truck.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2015 323BHS only had a plug on the back - I had intended to run the generator in the bed of the truck when we boondock in parking lots so I added a plug to the front of the camper. I had some extra wire from a welder extension I used to run the plug to behind the breaker panel and added a box to tie all the wires together.
    I ended up only using that plug for the generator a couple of times before moving it to the rear bumper of the camper. Interestingly enough, I'm at the KOA in Albuquerque and plugged into the front socket I added - it's the first time I've used it in a year or more.
    Either way, should be easy enough - run the wires underneath and come up to where it ties into the breaker box. An automatic transfer switch would be ideal there, but you *can* just wire it in - it's not the safest and I'm sure plenty of people will advocate for the transfer switch, but that will get you what you're looking to do.
    It's showing as not available now, but this is the socket I installed:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuess View Post
    I’m sure most have come across that site that placed the power box behind their Reflection that requires a substantial extension. My question is there a way to put an additional outlet on the back of my Reflection and tie it into the front? Main purpose is so I can plug a generator normally on a carrier in the back without running the cord down the side of my RV.

What size generator are you using and what is your output voltage and amperage going to be? I run a small Honda 2000 for the few times I boondock and purchased a 50Amp replacement cord plug and installed it on the end of 25' 12awg extension cord. Rolls up easily, stores easily, and no need to run the bulky 50amp cord and adapters.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VBY4GPC...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    Our 2015 323BHS only had a plug on the back - I had intended to run the generator in the bed of the truck when we boondock in parking lots so I added a plug to the front of the camper. I had some extra wire from a welder extension I used to run the plug to behind the breaker panel and added a box to tie all the wires together.
    I ended up only using that plug for the generator a couple of times before moving it to the rear bumper of the camper. Interestingly enough, I'm at the KOA in Albuquerque and plugged into the front socket I added - it's the first time I've used it in a year or more.
    Either way, should be easy enough - run the wires underneath and come up to where it ties into the breaker box. An automatic transfer switch would be ideal there, but you *can* just wire it in - it's not the safest and I'm sure plenty of people will advocate for the transfer switch, but that will get you what you're looking to do.
    It's showing as not available now, but this is the socket I installed:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Transfer switch is the only legal way to do it for a good reason - hot male prongs on the plug you are not using. If anyone touches the prongs not being used they are going to be electrocuted.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning the same in reverse - our shore plug is on the rear corner, and I want to be able to run a generator from the truck for quick overnight stays.

A transfer switch at the power distribution panel is by far the safest place, although there's not always a lot of slack in the wires as delivered.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuess View Post

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...r-corner-273MK

This thread has some great food for thought!
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!