User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway Jackofsometrades's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drawers not closing and Out of Square

We recently purchased a new Imagine XLS 17MKE and love the size and the layout. Truly one of the best couples trailers on the market. I thought I was buying one of the best built campers on the market... Until this.

So I found several of the drawers lined up with one side or the other sticking out, and some not staying latched which could be a problem going down the road. The worst drawer was the under stove pots and pans drawer. I thought maybe the catches were not adequate, but also noticed that the right side stuck out much more than the left, so i decided to do some investigating. I pulled the drawer out and what I found was dumbfounding. 1st, I found the drawer slide flange installed with light duty stapes. So I thought maybe they were loose and installing a screw into what appears to be a screw slot would help. It didn't.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2829.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	35164

I decided to put a square on the drawer slides and was shocked when I found both slides to be out of square 1/2". With the drawer sticking out on one side, this made sense.

Name:	IMG_2826.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	35165

They literally slapped the slides in, eyeballed it, and slapped some staples in. The staples appear to be the same gauge as my desk stapler, and that is the only thing that is holding the slides in place. I would imagine after a few trips those staples would be on the floor and the drawer unable to open.

But wait, there's more. There are two vents which run under the drawer, and they stand proud of the slides and would likely get torn up at some point the more you open and close the drawer. I can not believe this is how this should have been installed. Looks like we got a "Friday Trailer".

Name:	IMG_2835.jpg 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	35167

So I removed the desk stapler staples, squared up the slides, and installed screws to hold them in place. In addition, I took a metal step shingle, and turned it into a shield for the vents on each side of the cabinet. There were two wires on the right side which also dangled in the way of the drawer which a secured to the wall of the cabinet.

Now the drawers close properly, they are equal on each side, the catches now work, and the job was done right. One drawer down, and 8 more to go. I understand that these units are built on an assembly line. But the corners that were cut seem ridiculous. Now I have to go back and make it right which is a pain in the butt. I am sure they install these slides before the counter top goes in, and doing the work with counter top in place will make re-aligning the small drawers feel like micro surgery. Thank goodness I am pretty handy. I can't imagine what someone would do if they didn't have the skills to repair what Grand Design should have done correctly from the get go. And there is no way I would let the Stealer service department touch this situation. I don't need the problem made worse.

Grand Design campers appear to be well built on the surface. When you go behind the surface, not so much. How many of you bought a Grand Design trailer this season and have wonky drawers? They can be fixed, but they should have been done right from the factory.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2849.jpg   IMG_2836.jpg  
    Derek and Laurie from Olympia WA
    Imagine XLS 17MKE
    Towing with 2018 Chevy 1500 Crew LTZ

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackofsometrades View Post
    We recently purchased a new Imagine XLS 17MKE and love the size and the layout. Truly one of the best couples trailers on the market. I thought I was buying one of the best built campers on the market... Until this.

So I found several of the drawers lined up with one side or the other sticking out, and some not staying latched which could be a problem going down the road. The worst drawer was the under stove pots and pans drawer. I thought maybe the catches were not adequate, but also noticed that the right side stuck out much more than the left, so i decided to do some investigating. I pulled the drawer out and what I found was dumbfounding. 1st, I found the drawer slide flange installed with light duty stapes. So I thought maybe they were loose and installing a screw into what appears to be a screw slot would help. It didn't.

Name:	IMG_2829.jpg 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	35164

I decided to put a square on the drawer slides and was shocked when I found both slides to be out of square 1/2". With the drawer sticking out on one side, this made sense.

Name:	IMG_2826.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	35165

They literally slapped the slides in, eyeballed it, and slapped some staples in. The staples appear to be the same gauge as my desk stapler, and that is the only thing that is holding the slides in place. I would imagine after a few trips those staples would be on the floor and the drawer unable to open.

But wait, there's more. There are two vents which run under the drawer, and they stand proud of the slides and would likely get torn up at some point the more you open and close the drawer. I can not believe this is how this should have been installed. Looks like we got a "Friday Trailer".

Name:	IMG_2835.jpg 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	35167

So I removed the desk stapler staples, squared up the slides, and installed screws to hold them in place. In addition, I took a metal step shingle, and turned it into a shield for the vents on each side of the cabinet. There were two wires on the right side which also dangled in the way of the drawer which a secured to the wall of the cabinet.

Now the drawers close properly, they are equal on each side, the catches now work, and the job was done right. One drawer down, and 8 more to go. I understand that these units are built on an assembly line. But the corners that were cut seem ridiculous. Now I have to go back and make it right which is a pain in the butt. I am sure they install these slides before the counter top goes in, and doing the work with counter top in place will make re-aligning the small drawers feel like micro surgery. Thank goodness I am pretty handy. I can't imagine what someone would do if they didn't have the skills to repair what Grand Design should have done correctly from the get go. And there is no way I would let the Stealer service department touch this situation. I don't need the problem made worse.

Grand Design campers appear to be well built on the surface. When you go behind the surface, not so much. How many of you bought a Grand Design trailer this season and have wonky drawers? They can be fixed, but they should have been done right from the factory.
    Oh great, now I have to pull the drawers on our new 22RBE.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you seeing the same problems Alias?
    Imagine XLS 17MKE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only drawer that didn't stay latched all the time was the pots and pan drawer under the stove on our 22mle. I just added a grabber catch. I figured it was because of all the weight in that drawer. I guess I'll go check for some staples now. We are quite satisfied with ours but seeing those staples and what it was used for is a little shocking. I'd send those pics to GD and ask if that is normal.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackofsometrades View Post
    Are you seeing the same problems Alias?
    Nope, have not seen any problems, but I am wondering if they used the same staples that they used on yours.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the staples may hold for some time. The problem is that they are not squaring up the drawer slides when they install them. Squaring the drawer slides and installing screws is good insurance against problems down the road.
    Last edited by Jackofsometrades; 06-28-2021 at 04:35 PM.
    Imagine XLS 17MKE

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine came wonky from the factory also. Had them fixed under warranty...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    The only drawer that didn't stay latched all the time was the pots and pan drawer under the stove on our 22mle. I just added a grabber catch. I figured it was because of all the weight in that drawer. I guess I'll go check for some staples now. We are quite satisfied with ours but seeing those staples and what it was used for is a little shocking. I'd send those pics to GD and ask if that is normal.

As far as price point, I don't know where the Imagine falls, so no insult or nose thumbing is meant here.
    It is a normal construction practice on the lower level/entry level trailers as a cost cutting measure.
    On the first trip out on my previous trailer,(not a GD) all of the drawer slides pulled loose. On inspection, I found that the back of the drawer glides had been stapled to 1/8" luan and the fronts had been fastened to the cabinet stiles with 1/2" screws, fine for a brick and mortar installation but not for something that bounces down the road. I rounded up some 3/8" plywood scraps and some screws and went to work. It took about 2 hours to do all of them, and the next 10 years of camping were trouble free(drawer wise).

The plus side to doing stuff like this yourself is that it almost always ends up being better than factory, and you don't have to wait months to get into a dealer.
    Last edited by BobLandry; 06-30-2021 at 03:48 PM.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    As far as price point, I don't know where the Imagine falls, so no insult or nose thumbing is meant here.
    It is a normal construction practice on the lower level/entry level trailers as a cost cutting measure.
    On the first trip out on my previous trailer,(not a GD) all of the drawer slides pulled loose. On inspection, I found that the back of the drawer glides had been stapled to 1/8" luan and the fronts had been fastened to the cabinet stiles with 1/2" screws, fine for a brick and mortar installation but not for something that bounces down the road. I rounded up some 3/8" plywood scraps and some screws and went to work. It took about 2 hours to do all of them, and the next 10 years of camping were trouble free(drawer wise).
    Lower entry level or not, that is not what those staples were meant for.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what they were used for on my trailer.What's your take on it?
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast