Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second power connection for generator - transfer switch issues

I want to run the generator in the truck bed to run one AC unit while traveling on hot days. So I bought a Progressive Dynamics PD52V and a 50 ft 30 amp Camco cord.

Installed it all today and the problem is when the AC compressor kicks in the generator voltage goes low enough for just a split second and the transfer switch drops out. Then about 20 seconds later the transfer switch kicks back on, voltage goes low and drops out again. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment on the transfer switch to make it less sensitive. If I run shore power to the generator connection the switch stays in and the AC compressor runs. If I run either AC unit on the generator thru the shore power connection it doesn't drop out.

I was thinking maybe the 50 ft Camco cord was the issue so I shortened it to about 35 ft, did not help. I have now taken out the transfer switch and I guess I will return it.

So has anyone else had an issue with the automatic transfer switch staying in with generator power and how did you fix it?
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timkoenig View Post
    I want to run the generator in the truck bed to run one AC unit while traveling on hot days. So I bought a Progressive Dynamics PD52V and a 50 ft 30 amp Camco cord.

Installed it all today and the problem is when the AC compressor kicks in the generator voltage goes low enough for just a split second and the transfer switch drops out. Then about 20 seconds later the transfer switch kicks back on, voltage goes low and drops out again. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment on the transfer switch to make it less sensitive. If I run shore power to the generator connection the switch stays in and the AC compressor runs. If I run either AC unit on the generator thru the shore power connection it doesn't drop out.

I was thinking maybe the 50 ft Camco cord was the issue so I shortened it to about 35 ft, did not help. I have now taken out the transfer switch and I guess I will return it.

So has anyone else had an issue with the automatic transfer switch staying in with generator power and how did you fix it?
    Turn the idle control off, and turn the Tstat on the AC all the way down, so it will not cycle the compressor.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking that maybe a soft start on your AC might help.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried not running the generator in ECO mode, already having a partial load from the frig and with no load. Maybe I just got a bad transfer switch. Thinking about putting in a manual transfer switch but hard to find a spot for it that would be easily accessible to switch. I thought about soft starts on the ACs but haven't needed them before , running one AC and the converter the generator shows 50% loaded.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

biGGer is bETter

Quote Originally Posted by timkoenig View Post
    I tried not running the generator in ECO mode, already having a partial load from the frig and with no load. Maybe I just got a bad transfer switch. Thinking about putting in a manual transfer switch but hard to find a spot for it that would be easily accessible to switch. I thought about soft starts on the ACs but haven't needed them before , running one AC and the converter the generator shows 50% loaded.
    This is what I do on hot travel days to and have the power cord run to a twist lock plug in the front of the camper. then to the progressive's transfer switch. It sounds like you have an under powered/watt gen trying to start a heavy load. My converter draws up to 8 amps when charging the batteries and the refridg (I leave it on) draws between 1 and 4 amps depending on cooling requirements at the moment. that`s a lot for a smaller gen to try to start a heavy load to. Turn everything off except the A/C then try it if it doesn't work you need a bigger gen for the way you use power or the age of your equipment, the soft start might help, I put these on both A/C`s and didn`t notice any difference but I didn`t have a problem before. I have never had issues with the my transfer switch kicking out cause of voltage drop but I run 2 4500 watt gens in the back of the truck, only 1 runs while traveling to keep the A/C, residential refrigerator, and converter running. A larger cord isn`t going to help as your not drawing any where near the cords capacity to cause a voltage drop from that or to long a run. In my opinion (LOL) 3500 watt minimum 4500 watt is better.