Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much roll can a hitch take

My driveway has a slope and curve with a grass bank on the outside curve and a short retaining wall on the inside curve. It flattens out at the end and so does the terrain around it allowing the trailer to be stored mostly level. Thankfully, there are no issues with clearance between the driveway and the trailer, but the tow vehicle's passenger side tires were on the bank while backing it down. Unfortunately, I'm not good at measuring or guessing angles to describe how much roll there was. I've only backed it down once and maybe I can get batter to avoid this. My concern is not knowing how much roll the hitch/trailer can take. Does the ball allow for the tow vehicle and trailer to be on slightly different roll axis? If yes, what should I be watching during the backup process to avoid damage?

The WD hitch model is Husky 30849.
    2021 Imagine XLS 23bhe
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland v8 4WD | 7,400 tow | 6800 GVWR
    Husky WD 30849 w/ sway control kit | Tekonsha brake controller
    Jeep + driver and 2 passengers = 5,990 | Trailer = 6,520 | Tongue = 760

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile I Would Not Worry About That

Quote Originally Posted by rcjokibbe View Post
    My driveway has a slope and curve with a grass bank on the outside curve and a short retaining wall on the inside curve. It flattens out at the end and so does the terrain around it allowing the trailer to be stored mostly level. Thankfully, there are no issues with clearance between the driveway and the trailer, but the tow vehicle's passenger side tires were on the bank while backing it down. Unfortunately, I'm not good at measuring or guessing angles to describe how much roll there was. I've only backed it down once and maybe I can get batter to avoid this. My concern is not knowing how much roll the hitch/trailer can take. Does the ball allow for the tow vehicle and trailer to be on slightly different roll axis? If yes, what should I be watching during the backup process to avoid damage?

The WD hitch model is Husky 30849.
    In 25 years of towing TT with various WD setups I would say that the limit of articulation is when the lips of the coupler on the TT A Frame portion contact the Tow Bar the ball is mounted on after rotating around the ball. Having said that, at that limit, the angular difference between the TV and TT would be way more that I, and probably most TT owners, have ever experienced, and I have been in some very "Odd and Challenging" entry road to campsite situations. It is probably more that most if not all TV/TT interface situations will ever be put in. My driveway to the backyard and the RV shelter involve differences of some 20-15 degrees between the TV an TT at times and a complete course reversal and backing up situation. The actual limit to yours and any TV/TT setup is probably the WD torsion bar, and not the Coupler/Ball interface.
    Not sure if that helps, but as I said I would not worry about your driveway situation.
    I added a cross section diagram to show the details and hopefully show why you have lots of articulation available.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coupler_Ball Interface.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	35178
    Last edited by The_Lovells; 06-27-2021 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Added Picture
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)