User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hardwired EMS Question

5th wheel newbie here. For any of you that have an EMS-HW50C installed in your 303RLS how did you wire it and where did you install the "black box"? I've had this particular unit installed in the last two rvs that I've owned and don't want to leave home without one installed in my new 303.
    Jim
    2019 F350 6.7 DRW

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 337RLS which is very similar to the 303. I mounted the EMS behind the trailer breaker panel. It was tight but it fit.

If I were to do it again I would mount it behind the wall in the pass through. Just buy a length of 6/3 w/grnd NM-B Romex to go from the breaker to the EMS Black Box and pull the existing Romex down behind the wall and connect it to the EMS input side.

I have the Display mounted over the Nautilus panel. That way I can monitor it as soon as I plug in.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Jim, I installed my EMS behind the wall in the pass through. I disconnected the incoming wire from the electrical panel and wired it to the input side of the EMS. i added a second wire (6') to the output side of the EMS and routed the second wire to the electrical panel. I mounted the remote display next to the auto level controls. I mounted the black box to a short section of 2x6 to keep it off the floor in the event of a water leak. Probably a one hour project if you do it yourself.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mounting behind the pass thru wall sounds like the best bet for ease of installation. Thanks for the info guys.
    Jim
    2019 F350 6.7 DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello James, get the EMS installed? If so, how did it go?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm still waiting for it to arrive from the seller. They originally sent me a hw30c instead of the hw50c that I ordered so that has delayed things. After looking at that jumble of wires and plumbing behind the wall I'm leaning toward installing it on the floor under the center drawer in the cabinet containing the fuse panel and breaker box. Lots of room and easier access. Also thinking about removing the cable from the back of the outside power inlet and running that cable to the output of the box and running a new cable from the power inlet to the input of the box. Easy access to the power plug and it would save fighting with the wiring in and behind the breaker panel.
    Jim
    2019 F350 6.7 DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you have a plan. Having that device brings a lot of comfort knowing your protected and with zero chance of forgetting the device on a pedestal somewhere.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All, you might find it easier to buy a short section of wire, unscrew your outside wire connection and use the existing wire to connect in the output of the EMS, and use the new piece of wire from the input of the EMS to the outside cord connection on wall of trailer. Mount the EMS behind the pass thru storage. This is easier then trying to get behind the electrical panel. Just a suggestion
    2021 Reflection 337 RLS
    2022 GMC Sierra 2500 Crew Cab SRW Diesel
    Northern California

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just cut the power wire and spliced the EMS in for my last two 5th wheels. I had plenty of slack to work with.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t know about your 303 RL but in my 26RL I removed the bottom drawer in the cabinets along the wall of the pass through (breaker panel also along this wall). I had plenty of room to work and install my HW50EMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk