User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mysterious black tank flush effluent

We purchased a new 2021 22MLE last fall and have had it out on 5 trips so far. We love it.

We have a general rule of no solids or TP in the black tank. (We always camp at sites with public restrooms.) There have been a couple exceptions when a grandchild had to go…and go NOW!

On our 3rd trip this year I finally was able to hook a city water line to the black tank flush and give it a good cleaning at our full-hookup campsite. I have a clear elbow at the outlet so I can monitor the “activity.” I was very surprised with the number of white “globs” that the tank flush dislodged. They didn’t look like TP (remember, we’ve put virtually no TP in the blank tank since our purchase), but more like marshmallows. I watched for quite some time as they continued to keep coming. Of course, I wasn’t about to try and “catch” one to analyze it!

Does anyone have any idea what that stuff might have been? Manufacturing “slag?”

One thing I can say, the black tank flush does a great job!
    Jerry Crosby
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2006 Silverado 1500HD

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hum, were you feeding your grandchildren marshmallows by any chance? Lol Did you ever use the flush before or this was the first time?

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is definitely toilet paper.

My parents used to have that "no solids" rule and it's the first thing I threw out when we purchased our first trailer. I use the facilities in my trailer because they're mine and I know where they've been and that is why I purchased a trailer with a toilet. I work at a campground that has wonderful facilities but sometimes have to clean those facilities. I know when they are clean and I still don't use them.
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab PSD SRW

Former set up:
    2013 Kodiak 291RESL
    2017 Ford F150 Platinum

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some members of the family that use paper with all uses. I'm putting my money on paper. If you haven't used the flush then you are getting all the residue now.

If you have a backup camera you can move it into the bathroom to catch the culprit breaking the no solids rule.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's possible someone at the dealership or a transporter used the toilet prior to you taking possession, even though transporters aren't supposed to use the interior of the coach...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious as to what "no solids" means (feces is solid) and why no toilet paper. Septic-safe TP disintegrates quickly in water and poses less risk of clogging than non-liquid human waste. We've been full-time for six years and use the toilet for its intended purposes - and never a problem. That's why our RVs have black tanks with flush systems.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I'm curious as to what "no solids" means (feces is solid) and why no toilet paper. Septic-safe TP disintegrates quickly in water and poses less risk of clogging than non-liquid human waste. We've been full-time for six years and use the toilet for its intended purposes - and never a problem. That's why our RVs have black tanks with flush systems.

Rob
    "No solids" means no poop. No toilet paper is just a personal choice, perhaps due to personal exposure to cultures in other parts of the world. It's not a hard-and-fast rule for us, just a personal choice. I trust we are still afforded such things. It has nothing to do with any lack of understanding or trust in normal black tank chemistry or practices.
    Jerry Crosby
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2006 Silverado 1500HD

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I get the whole personal choice thing, but it still begs the question of why anyone would buy and pull around an expensive hotel room on wheels and not take full advantage of the facilities... you still need to dump your tank, solids or not...

If your dry camping without hookups or access to a dump station, I get it. But to only use half the bathroom's potential seems a bit silly to me.

Then again, we use the oven and microwave for food storage instead of cooking, so......

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwcrosby View Post
    "No solids" means no poop. No toilet paper is just a personal choice, perhaps due to personal exposure to cultures in other parts of the world. It's not a hard-and-fast rule for us, just a personal choice. I trust we are still afforded such things. It has nothing to do with any lack of understanding or trust in normal black tank chemistry or practices.
    To directly answer your original question . . . the white stuff has to be toilet paper or tissue. There would be no manufacturing residue/remnants I can think of that would mimic that. At most the only thing you should reasonably get from manufacturing remnants are pipe shavings from gutting and gluing. If someone in the RV is exercising their personal choice and using toilet paper you want to be sure they are using plenty of water and you need to flush your tank well. Otherwise that TP will stick to everything including the tank sensors and create more work for you.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What comes to mind first is.... Rules are made to be broken , sad but true

OR

Someone , (maybe the TP fairy) is sneaking in and flushing TP in the middle of the night
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast