User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    AZKenyon

Exclamation Washer Dryer Input -- Feedback needed

We are looking to purchase a Grand Design and wonder about the convenience of having the washer and dryer inside the closet. Those of you who have this setup, I'd like to know if you find it inconvenient to get "into" the closet to use the appliances? Any input is appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you have a lot of clothes on hangers, it's ok. You reach in, move them from the washer over to the dryer, it's tight. But the alternative is using the campground machines, for us that's not how we want to spend our time. Just my 2 cents.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree with TNFSolitude. Our first GD was a Solitude and now we are in a Momentum....same closets. I had my W&D moved from one to the other. We are on our second year of FT and I wouldn't be without my units.

Pam (El Rojo's DW)
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Brianne1973
    Does anyone out there use a combination washer/dryer? We have ordered our 385TH and are going to full-time. I definitely want to have my own laundry but wonder if the space saving is worth it? Thanks!

AZKenyon
    I had one of these once, not in an RV, but I did not like it because you had to do the whole load from start to finish before starting another. Maybe if you had very little laundry, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Brianne1973
    Thanks! I didn't think of that. I don't use the dryer much right now as I try to hang out my laundry but that will change once we move into our RV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two types of dryers that you will find - condensing or vented. Vented dryers work just like residential units (with the exception that RV units are generally 120VAC), with a vent that goes outside. Grand Design provides a template on the street (left) side for you to drill through to install a vent.

Condensing units operate by heating the air inside the inner drum (which has holes in it), and then running cold water over the outside of the outer drum. The water vapor goes through the holes in the inner drum and condenses on the inside of the outer drum and gets drained. These don't work nearly as well as a vented unit. Most people find they never completely dry anything, and the cold water used during the drying cycle is a factor to consider.

The combination units generally employ a condensing system for the drying cycle, but there are a couple (Pinnacle 18-400, Splendide WD2100XC) that offer either a fixed or optional vented dryer.

ETA - I'm trying to compose a complete list at http://www.momentumgunner.com/rvappliances.html
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

scott42blue
    Quote Originally Posted by RamGunner View Post
    There are two types of dryers that you will find - condensing or vented. Vented dryers work just like residential units (with the exception that RV units are generally 120VAC), with a vent that goes outside. Grand Design provides a template on the street (left) side for you to drill through to install a vent.

Condensing units operate by heating the air inside the inner drum (which has holes in it), and then running cold water over the outside of the outer drum. The water vapor goes through the holes in the inner drum and condenses on the inside of the outer drum and gets drained. These don't work nearly as well as a vented unit. Most people find they never completely dry anything, and the cold water used during the drying cycle is a factor to consider.

The combination units generally employ a condensing system for the drying cycle, but there are a couple (Pinnacle 18-400, Splendide WD2100XC) that offer either a fixed or optional vented dryer.

ETA - I'm trying to compose a complete list at http://www.momentumgunner.com/rvappliances.html
    I think this is excellent advice. I ended up with Spelendide WD2100XC but we have only done one test load. My thinking if they hold up in a marine environment they must be well built. Reviews online are outstanding.
    GD and I am sure others put a inline filter for W/D dump. Clogging filters is a additional negative for condensing units, they eject lint into dump pipe. I would only have direct vent.
    Dump filter looks like this
    Scott .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GD Mods as of 04 02 15 010.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	2215

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the GD 379FL and had the Combo unit installed it's the Pinnacle and it works for us we do a load every other day it takes longer then a full size unit but it so vary CONVENIENT,,,,,,,,,,
    Nelson & Susan
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    FT @ Orange Grove RV Park
    2015 GD379FL Solitude
    We Pull with 2016 RAM 3500 DRW, 4x4, 6.7 Cummins
    We are FTing and FT Work we have a few more years till we can travel