User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michark0906 View Post
    Thank you all. Exactly what I was thinking. These always seem “to good to be true” in what they cover and likely will end up costing me money down the road as well( on top of what they want me to pay for the warranty). Rather set my money aside in a rainy day fund when something does happen (it will) and bet that I will still be ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Forum hint: If you're replying to a particular member, use the “Reply With Quote” next to “Reply” (as I have done here). The person to whom you are replying will receive a notification and it helps others know whom you are addressing. You can also tag using their user name and the "@" sign: @Michark0906. That will also generate a notification.

Now... As mentioned, this has been discussed any number of times on the forum - the search function is your friend. My wife found a very good description of extended service plans a while back (they are not warranties, but rather insurance policies with lots of fine print). They are another form of legalized gambling. The company is betting that nothing breaks that would cause them to pay out more than you paid for the policy; you're betting it will. As in all forms of legalized gambling, the house usually wins. Otherwise, these companies wouldn't be in business or make a profit. We prefer to set money aside regularly (earning interest) and pay for repairs as they come up.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard have commented on these plans many, many times.

The de-facto standard seems to be that 80% of extended warranty Revenue goes towards commissions and marketing. Only 20% goes towards paying for actual repairs, which means most people are getting a really bad deal.

My Ramsey inspired advice is to take that money you would have put into a service contract, and start a repair accrual account. Continue to put at least $100 a month into the account, and at the end of 48 months you will have $4,800 (or more) that will be yours until you spend it for repairs, as opposed to expiring and evaporating into the insurance companies pockets at the end of the plan.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exactly what @Lane Hog just said. Plus, a lot of these repairs are minor and can easily be done ourselves. No waiting months for an appointment at the dealer and then leaving your rig there for weeks. If its something major or outside your comfort zone then you have the option of calling a mobile tech.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you buy an extended warranty? Should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Forum hint: If you're replying to a particular member, use the “Reply With Quote” next to “Reply” (as I have done here). The person to whom you are replying will receive a notification and it helps others know whom you are addressing. You can also tag using their user name and the "@" sign: @Michark0906. That will also generate a notification.

Now... As mentioned, this has been discussed any number of times on the forum - the search function is your friend. My wife found a very good description of extended service plans a while back (they are not warranties, but rather insurance policies with lots of fine print). They are another form of legalized gambling. The company is betting that nothing breaks that would cause them to pay out more than you paid for the policy; you're betting it will. As in all forms of legalized gambling, the house usually wins. Otherwise, these companies wouldn't be in business or make a profit. We prefer to set money aside regularly (earning interest) and pay for repairs as they come up.

Rob
    Appreciate your input.

FYI, if you read the first sentence of what I wrote “thank you all” I was thanking everyone for their input, not just one person. It was a general thank you to everyone that had provided input into my question, thus not requiring a reply to a specific post. Further on if you read, I also spoke to my general decision made based on all the previous posts. Again not requiring a reply to a specific post.

I had searched the forum, and not found the answer to the specific question I had, thus I posted a new one with the specifics of what I had. It also would be a very confusing forum if people just kept commenting on the same 4 posts instead of creating news ones with more specific detail or context to the question being asked or discussion being had.

Appreciate you looking out, but it is a turn off to forum users when you have “forum police” shaking down people for no reason.
    Last edited by Michark0906; 06-30-2021 at 07:46 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not sign up for an extended warranty which entails an upfront cost, but I did sign up for their "Warranty Forever". No upfront cost or repair costs, the catch is that is has to be inspected once a year at a (current) cost of $162.00, which is how the dealer and the insurance company make their money. Want to drop out? Just don't have it inspected that year, and it is void.

In three years, they have replaced two "frozen" waste valves (one black, one gray), fixed the underbelly they had to cut into to replace the valves, and replaced two leaking propane hoses that I had no idea were leaking, which is kinda scary.

So far, so good.
    Last edited by hartcentr; 07-03-2021 at 02:49 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought a used rig and it came with the extended warranties. (We had to pay a small fee to transfer them). It worked well for the new pump for the leveling system. But the exterior coverage was a joke. We had clear coat start peeling from a single drop Of tree sap. Turned it in and the ins said not covered! The big print said everything was covered, the fine print said not so much. I am glad I didn’t pay $3000 for their lies

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience says no save the money. I had issues with the refrigerator in the first year so norcold replaced it after 8 weeks of pissing around without one. Central vacuum burnt up. No coverage on any hot wires.New awning over slides ripping out no coverage on any awnings. I bought my camper at Huntley Il..Told me I had bumper to bumper warranty. Just a crooked financial person selling me a bag of turds. No I stink with less money.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extended warranties.

We are excited to be taking delivery of our new Imagine XLS 23bhe later this week. We just got an email from the finance person about extended warranties (see below). I have never purchased an extended warranty on a vehicle before, and not sure if they are worth it on a TT.

Any advice on what is outlined below and if anyone has purchased a similar plan for their TT and believe it was worth the money.

Extended service agreement ( ESA) see attached brochure ( RETAIL $7,495.00.00 YOUR PRICE AFTER DISCOUNT $3,625.00)
    1. Exclusionary that covers repairs to the RV for 5 years due to failed parts that water, electricity or a fossil fuel moves through ( 100 deductible anywhere in the US and Canada or $50 at Mike Thompson Rv)
    2. Will pay up to $125.00 for a mobile tech to do the repair on site
    3. No preferred dealer to go to, you get to pick where to go
    4. Is transferable and only you can cancel the coverage.

Tire and rim ( repair or replacement )NSD see attached brochure (RETAIL $1,000.00 YOUR PRICE AFTER DISCOUNT $560.00
    1. 7 years of Repairs or replaces whatever tires and rims are on the RV due to any road hazard that causes the damage or loss of air
    2. Covers 100% of the cost

Exterior / interior protective coating for 7 years ( see brochure attached) (RETAIL $5,995 YOUR PRICE AFTER DISCOUN$2,134.00
    1. Protects the exterior from the environment
    2. Protects the interior from accidental spills of anything but acid
    3. Protects your resell value
    4. Protects the exterior from fading and build up until you can wash it.
    5. Repairs interior rips up to 6” , burns up to size of a quarter and punchers.

Gps tracking / theft deterrent is life time ( see brochure attached) (RETAIL $2,495 YOUR PRICE AFTER DISCOUNT $1,285.00
    1. Monitor the location of your RV anytime and battery level
    2. Can recover the theft of your RV within 26 minutes ( if settings is activated )
    3. Tracks trips, speeds and is good for the life with no additional monthly fees
    4. Another way to identify they RV if stolen and recovery tracking is not active

If they cover until 12 years a good deal but if coverage is 5 years not worth it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally think this is an individual decision, as we’ve had 5 units and 4 warranties, and in the ones with the extended, it paid for itself in spades! I own a brand new 200MK and have the warranty on it as well,as I am now a widow, and while handy, have neither the know how, nor the patience to deal with issues like I’m dealing with now. Ours have paid for themselves over and over again…but it’s your decision.
    We are excited to be taking delivery of our new Imagine XLS 23bhe later this week. We just got an email from the finance person about extended warranties (see below). I have never purchased an extended warranty on a vehicle before, and not sure if they are worth it on a TT.

Any advice on what is outlined below and if anyone has purchased a similar plan for their TT and believe it was worth the money.

Extended service agreement ( ESA) see attached brochure ( RETAIL $7,495.00.00 YOUR PRICE AFTER DISCOUNT $3,625.00)
    1. Exclusionary that covers repairs to the RV for 5 years due to failed parts that water, electricity or a fossil fuel moves through ( 100 deductible anywhere in the US and Canada or $50 at Mike Thompson Rv)
    2. Will pay up to $125.00 for a mobile tech to do the repair on site
    3. No preferred dealer to go to, you get to pick where to go
    4. Is transferable and only you can cancel the coverage.

Tire and rim ( repair or replacement )NSD see attached brochure (RETAIL $1,000.00 YOUR PRICE AFTER DISCOUNT $560.00
    1. 7 years of Repairs or replaces whatever tires and rims are on the RV due to any road hazard that causes the damage or loss of air
    2. Covers 100% of the cost

Exterior / interior protective coating for 7 years ( see brochure attached) (RETAIL $5,995 YOUR PRICE AFTER DISCOUN$2,134.00
    1. Protects the exterior from the environment
    2. Protects the interior from accidental spills of anything but acid
    3. Protects your resell value
    4. Protects the exterior from fading and build up until you can wash it.
    5. Repairs interior rips up to 6” , burns up to size of a quarter and punchers.

Gps tracking / theft deterrent is life time ( see brochure attached) (RETAIL $2,495 YOUR PRICE AFTER DISCOUNT $1,285.00
    1. Monitor the location of your RV anytime and battery level
    2. Can recover the theft of your RV within 26 minutes ( if settings is activated )
    3. Tracks trips, speeds and is good for the life with no additional monthly fees
    4. Another way to identify they RV if stolen and recovery tracking is not active

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate your input.

FYI,
    Appreciate you looking out, but it is a turn off to forum users when you have “forum police” shaking down people for no reason.
    I think you misinterpreted Rob’s posting. It wasn’t directed at you personally or to shake anyone down.

I actually thought the description “Legalized Gambling” was pretty accurate. I say this as a former regional service manager for a BIG well known company. 3rd party insurance policies (aka “extended warranties”) are designed to make big commissions for the sales reps, big profits the selling company and are notorious for denying expensive repairs.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast