User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2018 310 GK and found the refrigerator ran warm in hot weather, a fellow camper suggested adding another fan to back of refrigerator. So we bought a small electric fan, tie wrapped in the outside vented area away from any of the hot copper lines and plugged it in to the outlet in there (using an adapter as only one active outlet that the original fan used so both run). As soon as we did that the refrigerator began working fine even in 90 degree weather. Just to be safe we cut the ties and remove the fan when we move to a new RV Resort. Since we are Mud Hens (snowmobile in Northwoods of Wisconsin Jan and Feb and go RVing from March thru mid-May when all the snow starts melting and everything turns to mud) we full time for 2 1/2 months and usually stay for a month at a couple locations and then only have 1 or 2 night stays going and coming so we only have to remove it a couple of times.

We also had a problem with water gathering in the tray inside at back wall of the refrigerator, having to scoop out the water every morning. When installing the fan low and behold we found that the clear plastic tube that ran from the tray had a plug on the end so it wasn't able to dump into the tray on the outside that sat on the hot copper line and was suppose to evaporate the water. No idea why the factory would have put a plug on it or even left it in. Anyway after removing the plug and letting the opened tube stick out the vent rather than into the evaporator tray the water drained as intended out of the refrigerator onto the ground and no more water scooping.

Have learned a lot of tricks and tips just by visiting with the neighbors and of course someone always has a solution on YouTube.

JC and DC
    Last edited by jimzrt; 07-15-2021 at 02:00 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlwerner View Post
    If you have a Norcold large 4-door unit, I had the same problem. Nothing I did helped until I finally realized what other threads meant when they spoke of making sure the flap was fully extended. On the left door there is a hinged flap that has a problem with fully snapping into place when the door closes. While I have read of others removing the door and adding a washer at the bottom of the door hinge pin, I have simply gotten into the habit of always closing the left door first, then reaching in and pulling the flap forward. Then, when I close the right side door, the doors seal properly. Since I have begun doing that, I have had no problems with my fridge, even though the fridge side of the fifth-wheel is in the afternoon sun. The fridge even remained cold (in the low to mid 30s) when the outside temperature soared to 116 degrees a couple of weeks ago.
    This is exactly what I found out myself. Another Momentum 5th wheel owner and I were talking and he mentioned this to me. I have had zero problems with cooling now since I started closing the flap manually also. The fridge was driving me crazy and I added fans on the outside and the inside with little help. I just left the fans there but the solution was shutting the flap. Sometimes the solution is the simple stuff.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimzrt View Post
    We have a 2018 310 GK and found the refrigerator ran warm in hot weather, a fellow camper suggested adding another fan to back of refrigerator. So we bought a small electric fan, tie wrapped in the outside vented area away from any of the hot copper lines and plugged it in to the outlet in there (using an adapter as only one active outlet that the original fan used so both run). As soon as we did that the refrigerator began working fine even in 90 degree weather. Just to be safe we cut the ties and remove the fan when we move to a new RV Resort. Since we are Mud Hens (snowmobile in Northwoods of Wisconsin Jan and Feb and go RVing from March thru mid-May when all the snow starts melting and everything turns to mud) we full time for 2 1/2 months and usually stay for a month at a couple locations and then only have 1 or 2 night stays going and coming so we only have to remove it a couple of times.

We also had a problem with water gathering in the tray inside at back wall of the refrigerator, having to scoop out the water every morning. When installing the fan low and behold we found that the clear plastic tube that ran from the tray had a plug on the end so it wasn't able to dump into the tray on the outside that sat on the hot copper line and was suppose to evaporate the water. No idea why the factory would have put a plug on it or even left it in. Anyway after removing the plug and letting the opened tube stick out the vent rather than into the evaporator tray the water drained as intended out of the refrigerator onto the ground and no more water scooping.

Have learned a lot of tricks and tips just by visiting with the neighbors and of course someone always has a solution on YouTube.

JC and DC
    Curious on this. I notice the tube that is place so it ends into that outside tray has a black plug in it (I assume it is a plug). If that is the case where is the water coming from that is filling the tray? That tray is usually full and I do have water in the fridge as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GD351M View Post
    Curious on this. I notice the tube that is place so it ends into that outside tray has a black plug in it (I assume it is a plug). If that is the case where is the water coming from that is filling the tray? That tray is usually full and I do have water in the fridge as well.
    The cooling fins at the back of the refrigerator frost and thaw as the refrigerator recycles and the water drips into the tray along the back wall, if you look on the far left there is a tube coming out of that tray the goes into the back wall. That tube come out in the outside compartment and drains into the tray (once the plug is taken out). In theory the heat from the copper lines is suppose to evaporate the water in this tray. We pulled the black plug and the water drained from inside the refrigerator but did not evaporate in the outer tray and after a few days we kept seeing that outer tray at least half full so we just bought a small junction and an short extension of plastic tube, drilled a small hole in the black cover by the vents and stuck the extension out that hole so it now drains outside onto the ground. Just be sure to route the tube so it doesn't touch any of the hot lines. Now we only see a small amount of water in the inside tray occasionally until it gathers enough to flow out. Now the temperature inside the refrigerator is always in the safe zone even when it hits 90 outside.

JC & DC
    Last edited by jimzrt; 07-16-2021 at 11:39 AM.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cooling fins at the back of the refrigerator frost and thaw as the refrigerator recycles and the water drips into the tray along the back wall, if you look on the far left there is a tube coming out of that tray the goes into the back wall. That tube come out in the outside compartment and drains into the tray (once the plug is taken out). In theory the heat from the copper lines is suppose to evaporate the water in this tray. We pulled the black plug and the water drained from inside the refrigerator but did not evaporate in the outer tray and after a few days we kept seeing that outer tray at least half full so we just bought a small junction and an short extension of plastic tube, drilled a small hole in the black cover by the vents and stuck the extension out that hole so it now drains outside onto the ground. Just be sure to route the tube so it doesn't touch any of the hot lines. Now we only see a small amount of water in the inside tray occasionally until it gathers enough to flow out. Now the temperature inside the refrigerator is always in the safe zone even when it hits 90 outside.

JC & DC
    The little black thing is not a plug - it has tiny holes in it... but they do get plugged up with algae. It can either be cleaned or removed. It's there to prevent ants, etc., from getting up inside the refrigerator via the drain tube.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JC & DC
    Thanks for the info

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The little black thing is not a plug - it has tiny holes in it... but they do get plugged up with algae. It can either be cleaned or removed. It's there to prevent ants, etc., from getting up inside the refrigerator via the drain tube.

Rob
    I am going to take mine out and clean it.....its got to be blocked to a certain level.

I do like the idea of running an extension out the vent like jimzrt did.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks one and all!! I took the left door off, added 2 brass washers, reinstalled and we are good to go!!! Cold refrig, no condensation on doors!! Off to build our ark as we are on our 2nd week of rain!!! At least it is a good test of the roof having no leaks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123