User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    I use one of these when I fill the fresh water tank; I never thought of using it when flushing the black tank....
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    As a newbie, and after watching and listening to horror stories of overflowing the black water tank creating a mess, I typically wait a max a 3 minutes using the blank tank flush before opening the gate. Safe, but I am not sure this is doing much good. The water meter you referenced seems like a great tool to use. This may seem like a silly question, but if my black water tank is 37 gallons, how much should I fill using the black water flush before stopping? Go the full 37 gallons? Or a few less like 32?
    Mitch and Alisa Frank
    2020 Imagine XLS 22 MLE
    2020 RAM 2500 Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrffrank440 View Post
    As a newbie, and after watching and listening to horror stories of overflowing the black water tank creating a mess, I typically wait a max a 3 minutes using the blank tank flush before opening the gate. Safe, but I am not sure this is doing much good. The water meter you referenced seems like a great tool to use. This may seem like a silly question, but if my black water tank is 37 gallons, how much should I fill using the black water flush before stopping? Go the full 37 gallons? Or a few less like 32?
    I usually let it run while I'm dumping, until the water runs mostly clear, then I'll close the dump valve and add 10 gallons, turn off the water, open the dump valve and let it drain. Then I'll close the valve and add 6 gallons and the black tank treatment. Then move on to my grey tanks.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    I use one of these when I fill the fresh water tank; I never thought of using it when flushing the black tank....
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Me also. Before traveling I put 5 gallons into the empty fresh water tank case I need to use the bathroom when traveling.

I haven’t used it when flushing the black tank. I just stand there and set the timer on my Apple Watch for 2 minutes then open the black valve, after it’s drained close it for another 2 minutes and repeat until flow out the pipe is clear.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrffrank440 View Post

I have not looked at where the spray nozzle(s) on my 2015 323BHS are, but on our last camper (a Forest River) the sprayer was only a few inches up the side of the tank. Maybe someone who has seen their spray nozzle location can comment, but if it is similar to where my last camper had the nozzle installed then I would suspect any more than 1/2 full is probably not increasing the effectiveness any.
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    I usually let it run while I'm dumping, until the water runs mostly clear, then I'll close the dump valve and add 10 gallons, turn off the water, open the dump valve and let it drain. Then I'll close the valve and add 6 gallons and the black tank treatment. Then move on to my grey tanks.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the info, I will do and follow your procedure.
    Mitch and Alisa Frank
    2020 Imagine XLS 22 MLE
    2020 RAM 2500 Diesel

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by V1RoT8 View Post
    Thanks Rob, Would you happen to know where the vent line is positioned into the tank by chance? i chatted with Tech support today and he had no schematic or anything to offer in that regard...Thanks
    I love my Reflection and cant wait to get out in it. Unfortunately all of our normal forest camping areas at around 7500 feet elevation are closed due to fires.
    I do not on your particular model, but they tend to run the vent vertically with no elbows. So whichever way your tank is oriented the nearest interior wall will contain the vent. That'll give you an idea where it is coming into the top of the tank.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better than having it fall out on I95! We now have a composting toilet. After using it since March if I bought a new RV tomorrow I would put a composting toilet in.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought you could not run the black tank flush with the valve closed?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    R3 Recurve
    Predator 3500 Harbor Freight Generator

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UGA4040 View Post
    I thought you could not run the black tank flush with the valve closed?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    General advice is to not do so. Plenty of us seasoned folks do.

I had a nice treat over the holiday weekend camping at Ives Run. Newbie forgot the black tank flush was on while cooking breakfast. It came out the roof vent. Guess where it flowed?!? The wife was fuming too! I tried to convince them to be thankful that the toilet seals held on their new Forest River as an interior cleanup is way worse than scrubbing the roof and awning and throwing our breakfast and sterilizing the cooktop.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=UGA4040;380575]I thought you could not run the black tank flush with the valve closed?

OK, sorry for asking a dumb question here, but want to ensure I understand correctly to avoid a similar fate.

1) I would expect the tank to be engineered to support the weight of a full tank....otherwise what is the point. Is the suggestion here that the tank expanded and the supports failed due solely to the weight of the full tank? Are the grey tanks prone to the same fate? Why does filling the fresh water tank to overflow (which I do) not result in the same consequence?

2) My practice has been to leave 5-10 gal of water in the black tank after I empty it as most people subscribe to. I achieve this by running the black tank flush system with the discharge valve closed. I use the exact same flowmeter as Jakev383 uses for fresh water to monitor how much water I put into the black tank. I assume I am safe to leave the valve closed as I monitor the volume of water and assume the tank vent does not allow the tank to pressurize. You know what happens when you assume, so just want to ensure my procedure is sound...as long as I dont walk away and forget about it.
    2020 Chev Silverado 2500 (6.0L Gas)
    2021 Reflection 303RLS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast